• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon PROSTAFF 7S Binoculars (1 Viewer)

Hi Ivan,

Welcome to Bird Forum!

Just to clarify things, are you talking about comparing the Pro Staff 7S 8x30 with the Monarch 5 10 x42? The latter does have a field of view of 5.5º or 288' @ 1000 yards, ED glass and dielectric prisms. There is no 8x30 Monarch 5.

The Pro Staff 7S 8x30 does not have dielectric prisms according to the Nikon website.

You are right about the 8x30s being easier to hold steady than 10 x42s.

I haven't tried either one of these binoculars but I can't help but feel that either one of them would be a vast improvement over your un coated 10 x25 binoculars.

Do you find yourself unusually sensitive to CA? If so, go with the Monarch 5 but consider the 8x42 instead. It has a 6.3º FOV or 335'@1000 yards. It is on sale at Nikon now.

http://www.nikonsportoptics.com/Nikon-Products/Binoculars/MONARCH-5-8x42.html

Bob

Last edited:
Ivan,

Are you sure the Prostaff 7s has dielectric prism coatings? I saw mention of phase coating and multilayered antireflective coatings but no mention of the mirror coatings. I'm pretty sure the P7 was an aluminium based mirroring. I've only tried the P7s as the 10x30 and I strongly suspect that was aluminium mirrored too from the colour.

The outgoing P7 8x42 I liked a lot. Ok, it's colour presentation was not a rich as the Monarch range but I found it sharper in the centre which is more important to me. Longer binoculars will tend to have lower CA and to my eyes the full size were rather better than average in that regard for the price if not quite a match for the ED Monarchs.

As Bob said there is no compact M5, but the M7 8x30 would be my pick of the Prostaff/Monarch range, (It's much better than the P7s x30) however, the old P7 8x42 I found sharper than the Monarchs and to me that represents better value. I don't know how the 7s would compare, but I would guess it's worth a look too.

Good luck,

David

Wow thanks for your quick reply and thanks for welcoming me to the forums, ceasar.

I am considering the 10x42 for both PROSTAFF 7s and Monarch 5 based on pricing, not comparing directly based on FOV. I feel I may prefer the 10 magnification as I seem to be able to hold them steady and I normally hike with a tripod anyways if I ever need it. Maybe my inclination stems from the fact that I have only experienced 10X and never a 8X before so if I felt good with it why decrease it, but I am opened to anything. I know the main reason people go for 8X is for steadyness from what I have read. I also generally like to get closer.

I saw the dielectric coating on the BHPhoto website here: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1084708-REG/nikon_16003_10x42_prostaff_7s_binoculer.html which I am not sure if it is accurate now that brought up to my attention is not listed on nikon's own website.

As far as the binoculars I have right now. They are tiny and I cannot even line up both "sides" to make up one big circle. I feel I always have to close one eye to be able to see well :D. I find that one side is not focused as well and it tends to be blurry on the edges. It is a very cheap Simmons that I have.

Thanks a lot!!

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply, typo. I saw the dielectric coating on the BHPhoto site, but it appears to be a typo. I wish I could afford the M7 as it has a wider FOV, but my budget is between 7S and M5.

I looked at the Bushnells Ultra HD, but saw many reviews depicting quality control issues from some users that gave me some concern about them.

Last edited:
Fantastic. Thanks for posting the link, henry link. I was looking for something like that. The BHPhoto website suggested the dielectric coating, but I can clearly see was an error.

Last edited:
Tried them side by side with Monarchs

I have to say that I was leaning towards the Monarch 5 or 7 mostly based on specs, but after trying them side by side in the store I realized how great the P7S are.

The feel in my hands is great. They were a little longer than the monarch 5 10x42 and the grip is a little bit more comfortable for me. They seemed overall better when it came to the grip.

The focus knob or ring also felt better. The ring had more grip and it seemed somewhat smoother than the copy of the Monarch 5 I tried. I felt I was able to focus slightly easier.

I tried them both in store and I was not able to test thoroughly outside. I was able to focus both of them quickly and smoothly. The store had a sunroof and some items hanging from it and I was able to see Purple Fringing with the same intensity for both. I was surprised about this and expected it to be way less or not existent in the M5. I am not sure if it was not really fringing, but rather the "real" color when the outside light reflected and got combined with indoor light.

I also felt that the p7s were slightly more comfortable in between my eyes.

I tried some Leopold 8x42 to see if my holding was steadier and I felt it was about the same as far as shakiness goes. So getting a 8x would be primarily to gain wider FOV on the monarch line vs 10x.

Given that these ones would be my "first" good pair and intro into higher end binocs, I am wondering if I should go for p7s. I also am reasoning that later on I could give these ones full time to my wife and get the Monarchs :). The p7S fit my budget better as well. I would have to wait a little longer to get the M5.

The Monarchs are though so far better on paper with regards to ED and light transmission, but if light transmission difference is only less than 5% (silver vs dielectric), the more noticeable spec could be ED and I ask myself if for my initial uses the differences will be negligible I can't help but wonder if he P7S should be my final choice.

Thanks,

Ivan

Last edited:
This thread needs an update. I have recently purchased the 8x30 Prostaff 7S, and want to
give a small review of this binocular.

As noted above this is an updated Prostaff model and the S, means shorter than the original
Prostaff 42mm sizes.

There are things I like about the Prostaff 7, it has a nice, bright and contrasty view. What a nice
small binocular, Nikon does things right, with nice fit and finish and a very nice focuser.
We often hear about those that have used the Monarch 7 8x30, and I have not had a chance to
handle one of those. But, I have tested these for stray or direct light handling issues, and I find them
to do just fine.

Some specs. are a rather narrow FOV of 6.5*, with a view of 343' at 1,000 yds. Very nice and lightweight
only 14.6 oz. with nice armor and handling.
Allbinos has recently done a review of this model, so check it out if interested.
I agree with their findings.

These are found in the under $200. price range. Much more enjoyable to handle and use than any
high end 8x20 or 10x25 binocular that I have used.

My picture that is attached shows how small these are compared to a Zeiss 5x10 Miniquick, Leica 10x25
Trinovid, and a Swaro. 8x30 CL.
The CL does offer a better view, but it should at 5 times the price.

For those looking for a nice inexpensive 8x30, this one is one I will recommend.

Jerry

Attachments

• DSCN1063_3.JPG
    DSCN1063_3.JPG
    65.7 KB · Views: 340
Jerry,

I'd agree a nice little binocular.

Until recently my main issue with the Prostaff 7s 8x30 was that it was 4/5th of the Monarch 7 8x30's price over here. I've compared the two a couple of times and there is no doubt the M7 is much the better binocular and more than worth the £50 extra at UK prices. However the Prostaff prices have dropped dramatically and it can be found at half the price (or less) of the M7. I now see it as a much better proposition as an inexpensive car binocular or for sightseeing, sports events etcetera where I wouldn't want to risk pricier glass. I found it just as sharp and possibly more glare resistant than the M7. OK the FOV and colour aren't great but it is a much better binocular than many others at that price level IMO.

David

I wanted to upgrade my Hawke 8x25 & was going to buy one of these but Albinos 4 out of 10 for CA control did the damage and the measly 114m fov but mostly the CA.

I couldn't live with that, of course assuming Albinos is accurate here?

I wanted to upgrade my Hawke 8x25 & was going to buy one of these but Albinos 4 out of 10 for CA control did the damage and the measly 114m fov but mostly the CA.

Clive,

At around £100 (if you shop around), I can forgive a few shortcomings. It actually reminds me of the old Monarch MkII/III but maybe just a bit better on CA, FOV and sharpness.

David

I don't like CA unless it's minimal and 4 out of 10 doesn't sound very minimal except on score. It sounds quite bad as I understand scores.

My Hawke is a quite amazing 10/10 for CA control (even better than my larger bins) so it would seem to count this 7s out no matter the cost and my Hawke cost a lot less. I don't think I could go from none to comparatively a lot but I suppose I'd have to see it myself to really know but it's to much uncertainty to bother.

Now if they would drop the price to around um £10.... well.... maybe?

...and free post o:D

Just give me a free pair and I'll test them and possibly lie about the result if necessary.

Otherwise it does look like a good little package and I assume the same nice focus as the M7.

Just thought to check the Albinos review for the M7 8x30 and it gets 7.8 (surprisingly accurate to a 10th) for CA and I would agree pretty much exactly with that based on my M7 10x30. I was thinking 7.5 for that or 8 to round it off and 9 for my Sapphire 8x43.

Last edited:

I didnt see any CA in the 10X30 sample I tried. But then again I wasnt looking for it. If I'm not looking for it, and dont see it, then for me it doesnt exist.

This thread needs an update. I have recently purchased the 8x30 Prostaff 7S, and want to
give a small review of this binocular.

As noted above this is an updated Prostaff model and the S, means shorter than the original
Prostaff 42mm sizes.

There are things I like about the Prostaff 7, it has a nice, bright and contrasty view. What a nice
small binocular, Nikon does things right, with nice fit and finish and a very nice focuser.
We often hear about those that have used the Monarch 7 8x30, and I have not had a chance to
handle one of those. But, I have tested these for stray or direct light handling issues, and I find them
to do just fine.

Some specs. are a rather narrow FOV of 6.5*, with a view of 343' at 1,000 yds. Very nice and lightweight
only 14.6 oz. with nice armor and handling.
Allbinos has recently done a review of this model, so check it out if interested.
I agree with their findings.

These are found in the under $200. price range. Much more enjoyable to handle and use than any
high end 8x20 or 10x25 binocular that I have used.

My picture that is attached shows how small these are compared to a Zeiss 5x10 Miniquick, Leica 10x25
Trinovid, and a Swaro. 8x30 CL.
The CL does offer a better view, but it should at 5 times the price.

For those looking for a nice inexpensive 8x30, this one is one I will recommend.

Jerry

Hi Jerry, if you still follow this as an owner of this model I would be interested in your thoughts on CA with the 7s.

You say you agree with Albinos. Does that then include their 4/10 CA figure?

I'm pretty susceptible to CA so I imagine it would stand out a lot for me in fact if there were very much more in my M7 then that would have been a no no. It's the weakest point of the M7 for me and it's still in the good or very good range. I would accept a little more in a cheaper model but I think it would be to much for me with the 7s which is a pity.

I think I can cope with some occasional glare more easily so seems I would be better to go for the M7 8x30. Seems to much of a gap between the 7s & M7 regarding CA and fov as well as dielectric coating so I think for me it has to be worth saving and going the M7 route for best value in the longer term. Only my thoughts on it but it really did put me off hitting the order button at the last moment as the price certainly seems reasonable in some instances and it seems to get positive feedback from everyone who has tried it.

Actually it probably doesn't matter anyhow. I think I would need/desire the extra 30m or so fov of the M7.

Beautiful morning. Think I will take the M7 10x30 for a stroll and just remembered the M7 10x30 has a wider fov than the 8x 7s, 117m verses 114!

CA control of about 7/10 and say 122m fov and I think I'd have gone for the 7s.

Last edited:
Hi Jerry, if you still follow this as an owner of this model I would be interested in your thoughts on CA with the 7s.

You say you agree with Albinos. Does that then include their 4/10 CA figure?

I'm pretty susceptible to CA so I imagine it would stand out a lot for me in fact if there were very much more in my M7 then that would have been a no no. It's the weakest point of the M7 for me and it's still in the good or very good range. I would accept a little more in a cheaper model but I think it would be to much for me with the 7s which is a pity.

I think I can cope with some occasional glare more easily so seems I would be better to go for the M7 8x30. Seems to much of a gap between the 7s & M7 regarding CA and fov as well as dielectric coating so I think for me it has to be worth saving and going the M7 route for best value in the longer term. Only my thoughts on it but it really did put me off hitting the order button at the last moment as the price certainly seems reasonable in some instances and it seems to get positive feedback from everyone who has tried it.

Actually it probably doesn't matter anyhow. I think I would need/desire the extra 30m or so fov of the M7.

Beautiful morning. Think I will take the M7 10x30 for a stroll and just remembered the M7 10x30 has a wider fov than the 8x 7s, 117m verses 114!

CA control of about 7/10 and say 122m fov and I think I'd have gone for the 7s.

Clive:

There is some visible CA in this model. You can see it if you look
for it. I don't find it an issue though in normal use.
The rating of a 4 out of 10 is accurate. That means it is a little
below average. I hope this helps.

Jerry

Clive:

There is some visible CA in this model. You can see it if you look
for it. I don't find it an issue though in normal use.
The rating of a 4 out of 10 is accurate. That means it is a little
below average. I hope this helps.

Jerry

Thank you very much Jerry. It helps indeed. Good also to have Albinos figures corroborated.
Saves me ordering and returning again.
I returned the E2 and I would give it a 6.5 for CA and by rights I should round it up to 7. Seems here I disagree with Albinos as they award 7.5 but they obviously didn't see the massive purple oak tree that I did. In that particular instance I would have to give it zero basically.

Enjoyed today out with the M7 10x30 even though there were all sorts of difficult sun angles and had no problem with glare.

I was particularly impressed with how bright they were when viewing along a tree covered river so that I could check if the Kingfishers were fledging but the parent was still feeding. The extra 10x mag was helpful here also. Actually sometimes I forget I'm using a 10x as the view is quite wide and I'm very used to my 142m fov Sapphire 8x43.

This M7 10x30 probably is my Hawke Frontier PC 8x25 upgrade so I should probably pack in the messing around and I still have the small Hawke as a great fold up bin if I ever need such a thing.

I do fondly remember my Zeiss 8x32 FL for it's compactness and wide field so I suppose the M7 8x tempts me from that point of view but then I have the Sapphire 8x43 which can basically do the same thing only it's quite a lot larger but excellent for close focus with both eyes also and superb as light goes down and generally excellent all rounder. I actually considered selling it to buy a M7 8x but when I took it out again to try it only took a few minutes to decide that this was not an option as it just suits me so well and always works flawlessly. I really find it superb actually. It's big but it balances so nicely and obviously has a big area to comfortably grip. I had originally ordered a 10x Sapphire and they sent me the 8x by mistake but one look through it and that was that. Keeping this. That was a few years ago and I still have never had a chance to try the 10x version of the open bridge like my 8x but did return the closed bridge 10x version as that didn't impress. Yet another return. Actually cost me about £30 postage as I offered to pay their postage as well as my return postage but I paid £8 and they had paid £25 or something as it was a few grams over the limit when they weighed it at their end so a lot of cost just to view a binocular I didn't like. Had forgotten about that. Bad memory returns.

Hope you keep getting good use out of and enjoying your 7s.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back