• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Douglas County, Kansas, USA (1 Viewer)

Owen Krout

United States
On the wetlands yesterday May 15th 2019 some possible Pectoral Sandpiper that I would like an opinion on as they are new for me. The tail in flight showed a clear black band with pure white on each side. Two large flocks, so probably migrating through and stopped for a fill-up. My back up camera was having trouble locking focus and it was at long range.

Also one seen by multiple people that couldn't agree on an ID so thought I would run it by the experts here. In riparian woods I had ID as an Indigo Bunting either female or non-breeding male

Attachments

• IMG_1218.jpg
    IMG_1218.jpg
    582.7 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_1034.jpg
    IMG_1034.jpg
    254.2 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_1033.jpg
    IMG_1033.jpg
    284 KB · Views: 32
  • queation.jpg
    queation.jpg
    236.2 KB · Views: 39
  • Question.jpg
    Question.jpg
    227.5 KB · Views: 25
I believe you have Pec, Semi-p and White rumped sandpipers in the flight shots, but perhaps await confirmation from somebody with more extensive nearctic wader experience than me to confirm. I'd agree your passerine is an Indigo bunting.

Agree

Pic 2 are all pecs

OK, hence my confusion on what I was looking at. As I said, two large flocks and they were close enough together that I took it to all be the same species. All three are new lifers for me and the only ones close enough for me to think I had them right was the Pecs. Now with the guidance I can make out the other two.

Thanks for the help! My Canon 7D mkII is due back from a badly needed internal cleaning tomorrow!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back