• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden/Yard List 2016 (1 Viewer)

Belated addition. I appear to have omitted Common Buzzard - having just checked for possibles in the balance of the year. I think my first from the garden this year was 27th March.

In birding, there are few more beautiful sights in flight on a sunny day than today's highlight through the garden:-

37. Jay

All the best

Last edited:
Good feeling of autumn on my land (despite some of the best weather of the year, 25 C and sunny), but lots of passerines moving through, flocks of Jays et al, quite a few Nutcrackers too. Also five Black Woodpeckers back in the wet forest, etc, etc.

Two additions for the year - flock of 11 Cormorants flying over and a smart young Red-breasted Flycatcher hunting from stumps aside my feeding station.

113. Cormorant
114. Red-breasted Flycatcher

Still on 67....due to an oversight on my previous! However my new 67 came this am, totally out of the blue literally....landing atop yonder Ash tree looking straight at me! Only my 3rd in 33 years, and my first decent view of this superb species in the garden.....drop-jawed! I've never seen one perched in the open on a tree top before, and it had the courtesy to wait until I'd snapped it!....Plus a ''net gain'' Chiffy from yesterday. ;)

Attachments

• P1360746.jpeg  Grdn.CRdstrt 3.jpg
    P1360746.jpeg Grdn.CRdstrt 3.jpg
    355.7 KB · Views: 37
  • P1360738.jpeg  Grdn.CRdstrt 4..jpg
    P1360738.jpeg Grdn.CRdstrt 4..jpg
    321.7 KB · Views: 37
  • P1360708.jpeg  Net Gain Chiffy.jpg
    P1360708.jpeg Net Gain Chiffy.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 53
Lovely action shot Ken. Settling in to our new home which is situated on the side of a valley with some hefty mountains all around making it a bit of a 'dead end', surely less favourable for passing raptors on migration than our previous place (will continue the Garden List there until the end of the year as we haven't yet sold etc). So imagine my surprise this morning when this handsome chap perched atop of an adjacent conifer to preen (see grainy photo). As well as being out of typical habitat, it's a species we've never recorded in or from the garden in our ten years at our old home, despite it being next to a reedbed (and with a little pond in the garden!). Just goes to show that during the migration periods anything is possible (well almost ;)).

Attachments

• Gorgebleue 11.09.16.jpg
    Gorgebleue 11.09.16.jpg
    497.1 KB · Views: 48
That's an amazing occurrence Richard what a record!....and also from a "tree top". What is it with these traditional skulkers, that sends them into reverse when on migration? :t:

Some fantastic birds turning up for everyone now migration is kicking in, nice to see so much activity again.
Number 84 for me today, Northern Parula. Another one seen often not far from home, so great to finally see one sneaking through the garden.

Wow Jos! I'm really jealous of that RbF. :king: It shouldn't be absolutely impossible in my garden... But I don't hold my breath while waiting.

Ken got great photos. I have also photoing those same targets at last few days, but after those shots - I won't put those here.

After saying that, I have to say to Richard that your photo for Bluethroat is much better than what I manage to do when the bird visiting in my garden at last May. I was left with only memories of it...

Anyway - one totally new species above garden:
#60. Kestrel

So imagine my surprise this morning when this handsome chap perched atop of an adjacent conifer to preen (see grainy photo).

Very nice, this is one that I have high on my expected list, but I still I wait (perhaps too much habitat to hide in is my problem)

Anyway - one totally new species above garden:
#60. Kestrel

Nice one, almost always an August/September bird here, but not had one this year.

Equally jealous of your RbFly Jos!
I somehow imagined you'd have Bluethroats all over your boggy habitat , does it not breed in Lithuania then?
I'm hoping a photographer friend will improve my photos as it looked like a Red-spotted to me, which is apparently the rare one here (no previous records for Haute-Savoie it seems).

I somehow imagined you'd have Bluethroats all over your boggy habitat , does it not breed in Lithuania then?

It does breed in Lithuania, though rather localised and not very abundant. The species probably has occurred, but my swampy area is becoming more and more reeded and ever easier for small things like Bluethroats to hide in. In the last few years, Water Rails and Moorhens have started to breed, Little crake has occurred a couple of times, Great White Egrets summered this year and loads of Sedge Warblers now breed, Savi's Warbler and Reed Warbler occurring too. Just need the Bluethroat as the cherry on the top.

I'm hoping a photographer friend will improve my photos as it looked like a Red-spotted to me, which is apparently the rare one here (no previous records for Haute-Savoie it seems).

I've given it a go; not sure it's possible to tell from this pic.

Attachments

• 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    789.7 KB · Views: 46
Thanks for that N, looks like I might have to change the sighting on the local website to ssp undetermined, after all I don't want to get a reputation as The English Stringer!

Good God No!.....otherwise you'll have to consider a "Sharp Brexit". ;)

Don't get me started on that, please!!
The local bird recording police beat me to it and have asked me to change my observation to Bluethroat ssp non-defined, all subspecies can show apparent reddish patches on the throat in autumn, so I would've needed one of Jos' nets to catch it to be able to nail it as a red-spotted. I'm still amazed that they have never been recorded in Haute-Savoie though, as I believe there's a small breeding population in Switzerland (just next door!).

I'm very impressed by recent sightings - & a tad envious.

It's time I found one for mine.

A nice just-fed male Merlin on patch yesterday was my highlight.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back