• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Iceland Gull ID (1 Viewer)

NJBirder12

I came across these from april of 2016 taken in central nj - jersey shore. They were taken in succession but I don't recall if it was the same bird. Are either an Iceland gull?

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 71
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:
2nd Summer/3cy Ring-billed Gull.

Lightened image attached showing bill detail.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-06-26 at 00.13.13.jpg
    Screen Shot 2019-06-26 at 00.13.13.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 39
I didn’t think the two pics were the same bird and thought the left-hand could be Mew but RB seems ok - the right-hand bird looks bigger built?

Laurie -

No - Iceland Gull never has wing tips this dark. Looks more like a Herring Gull.

not in an NA context, since kumlien's and even thayer's gulls are called iceland gull nowadays. the flying bird is a 2nd cycle ring-billed gull as already stated and the swimming one looks like it could well be the same bird.

not in an NA context, since kumlien's and even thayer's gulls are called iceland gull nowadays. the flying bird is a 2nd cycle ring-billed gull as already stated and the swimming one looks like it could well be the same bird.

I was thinking of Kumlein's (which I don't think can get as extensively black on the wingtips as this bird) but had forgotten that Thayer's is lumped these days.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back