• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Odd owl behavior (1 Viewer)

I've come across an odd behavior by some small owls just after it gets dark, and I was wondering if anyone can help me understand what they're doing. When I'm out on a trail in the hills by my house (in southern California, in the foothills at the base of Mt. San Gorgonio, near Big Bear, at elevation 3000 - 4000 feet), I will have 3 - 4 small owls, with a body length of maybe 10-12 inches (it's hard to say for sure since I only see them at night) begin to circle back and forth and around above my head, maybe 10 to 20 feet up.

What would create this behavior? Are they territorial and want me to leave? They're not showing any aggressive behavior like swooping down at me...

Could they be hoping I'll flush out small creatures on the ground? I've never seen one drop down and attack anything...

The only ideas I can come up with don't seem to pan out. Can someone give me a better answer?

Thanks. I'm just a beginner at this, but I'm very curious about understanding what they do as well as identifying the birds.

z

Are they definately owls? Do they ever go and perch anywhere or are they continuosly flying around your head?

Sounds a bit like a bat to me, but A) don't know if you get bats that big where you are B) don't want to insult your ID skills

ATB

fair enough rockfowl,

having never seen them in RL and as the op shows no images, I was just trying to find some possibilities.... I think the website might still point to what they are as it seems all encompassing.

Andy

fair enough rockfowl,

having never seen them in RL and as the op shows no images, I was just trying to find some possibilities.... I think the website might still point to what they are as it seems all encompassing.

Andy

No probs. I guess the other possibility would be again a Nightjar species - see zippy's other thread, but not owls.

Hi. Thanks for the responses; sorry about the delayed response, I've been away for a couple of days.

I'm sure they were owls, because two of them landed about 100 yards away from me one evening, though not near each other. They had the smooth gliding flight of an owl as well, not that herky-jerky flitting of a bat.

They were totally silent, and in the deepening dusk it was hard to make out more than their shape and size.

I'll check out the link provided above and see if I can identify them.

z

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back