• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Flint Point, Shotton & Chester (1 Viewer)

Flint Point

01/10/18

1 Black Redstart ( Flint Castle ).........

Flint Point........

4000+ Redshank, 1100+ Black Tailed Godwit, 90+ Bar Tailed Godwit, 850+ Oystercatcher, 350+ Wigeon, 250+ Teal, 200+ Mallard, 110+ Pintail, 20+ Curlew, 1 Whimbrel, 1 Dunlin, 1 Kingfisher, 4 Goosander, 800+ Canada Goose, 5 Great White Egret, 5 Great Crested Grebe, 50+ Cormorant, 1 Marsh Harrier, 15+ Raven, 2 Mistle Thrush 3 Jay, 2 Grey Wagtail, and 1 Great Spotted Woodpecker.

01/10/18

1 Black Redstart ( Flint Castle ).........

Flint Point........

4000+ Redshank, 1100+ Black Tailed Godwit, 90+ Bar Tailed Godwit, 850+ Oystercatcher, 350+ Wigeon, 250+ Teal, 200+ Mallard, 110+ Pintail, 20+ Curlew, 1 Whimbrel, 1 Dunlin, 1 Kingfisher, 4 Goosander, 800+ Canada Goose, 5 Great White Egret, 5 Great Crested Grebe, 50+ Cormorant, 1 Marsh Harrier, 15+ Raven, 2 Mistle Thrush 3 Jay, 2 Grey Wagtail, and 1 Great Spotted Woodpecker.

Just an observation..........

I've just been reading over an old thread on the Northwalesbirding Forum, and I wonder whether this is exactly the same male Black Redstart, that was found here in February 2014, that is using Flint Castle as a regular stop over on it's migration to and from it's breeding grounds, because it's displaying all of the same characteristics that the 2014 bird did also, for example, it regularly disappears into the tower's to feed, and can be very difficult to relocate again, but once relocated, it is very confiding.............I know that it's nearly 5 years ago, but it's still possible I think.

Shotton Steelworks & Flint Point

03/10/18

Shotton Steelworks.........

17 Gadwall, 14 Mallard, 12 Tufted Duck, 13 Coot, 2 Moorhen, and 1 Little Grebe.

Other notable birds.......2 Cetti's Warbler, 2 Bullfinch, and 2 Jay.

Flint Point..........

2 Black Redstart ( Flint Castle & Flint Point ).........1 probable autumn/1st winter male & 1 probable female/immature/1st summer male........

*** If there are any other Birder's who have seen these two birds, and they disagree with my decision regarding the age/sex of these birds, then please feel free to correct me, because, such is the variation in colour and plumage of Black Redstart,...... that I'm not 100% sure***

Other notable birds......... 2 Brent Goose, 800+ Canada Goose, 250+ Pink Footed Goose, 90+ Shoveler, 4 Pochard, 40+ Cormorant, 3 Spoonbill, 3500+ Wigeon, 5000+ Redshank, 40+ Oystercatcher, 150+ Mallard, 3 Curlew Sandpiper, 1 Kingfisher, 2 Great Crested Grebe, 5 Great White Egret, 13 Dunlin, 2000+ Pintail, 200+ Shelduck, 200+ Teal, 2200+ Black Tailed Godwit, 20+ Bar Tailed Godwit, 20+ Curlew, 1 Marsh Harrier, 4 Grey Wagtail, 1 Yellow Wagtail, 1 Rock Pipit, 3 Siskin, ( flyovers ), and 1 Great Spotted Woodpecker.

Last edited:
Hi Peugeot. Two of us had a good look for your black redstart(s) yesterday with no joy. Spent over an hour around and in the castle (including checking inside the towers) and also along the path out to the rocky outflow immediately north of the castle. What time of day are you seeing them,please ?

Hi Peugeot. Two of us had a good look for your black redstart(s) yesterday with no joy. Spent over an hour around and in the castle (including checking inside the towers) and also along the path out to the rocky outflow immediately north of the castle. What time of day are you seeing them,please ?

You're looking in exactly the right places.......

I've been watching from first light, ( approx 07.00am onwards )......I've found that the bird at the castle can be very elusive, ( present since 27/09, but the second bird at Flint Point, which appeared for the 1st time yesterday, was very easy to view at close range.........( I had another look this afternoon, but I could not see either bird present ).............

I don't think that very many people check this type of Forum for sightings anymore, because this style of reporting is now quite old fashioned, so most people were unaware of the 1st birds presence, or the second birds presence, until the popular news services made an announcement yesterday.......which was probably too late.

Flint Point

04/10/18

Flint Point.........

5000+ Redshank, 5000+ Wigeon, 400+ Pintail, 1 Curlew Sandpiper, 300+ Oystercatcher, 160+ Shelduck, 800+ Canada Goose, 2 Ringed Plover, 100+ Teal, 100+ Mallard, 1 Kingfisher, 500+ Dunlin, 2 Red Breasted Merganser, 600+ Black Tailed Godwit, 70+ Bar Tailed Godwit, 200+ Pink Footed Goose, 80+ Shoveler, 3 Spoonbill, 2 Great White Egret, 70+ Grey Plover, 40+ Golden Plover, 200+ Knot, 30+ Curlew, 3 Whimbrel, 2 Great Crested Grebe, and 1 Wheatear.

I've been watching from first light, ( approx 07.00am onwards )......I've found that the bird at the castle can be very elusive,

Thanks for the reply. I suspect the bird(s) get disturbed by midmorning and move off. Thing about black redstarts is that they can feed anywhere - back gardens, industrial estates, seashore etc . Maybe they roost at the castle ?

I've been watching from first light, ( approx 07.00am onwards )......I've found that the bird at the castle can be very elusive,

Thanks for the reply. I suspect the bird(s) get disturbed by midmorning and move off. Thing about black redstarts is that they can feed anywhere - back gardens, industrial estates, seashore etc . Maybe they roost at the castle ?

You're absolutely spot on........

What was happening, was that the bird at the castle would fly out of one of the tower openings when it was disturbed, and then perch on the castle walls outside, but it took some finding, because it was habitually perching on the brickwork of the tower, that is very dark in colour, ( similar to the bird itself ), and then not move at all, which made it extremely difficult to pick out, and then during busy periods, it would disappear off to Flint Point, and I originally thought that the second bird, was in fact the same bird, until I studied it more closely, which proved it wasn't,.........

I think it took too long for the sightings to hit the airwaves properly, I honestly thought that there would be 1 or 2 Birder's present the following morning on the 28/09 after the 1st bird was released, but I didn't see a solitary Birder here until today.

Flint Point

05/10/18

Flint Point ( highlights only )............

7 Curlew Sandpiper, 5 Great White Egret, 1 Marsh Harrier, 2 Grey Wagtail, 1 Kingfisher, and an arrival of 14 Redwing at first light.

06/10/18

Shotton Pools........

1 Common Sandpiper, 15 Teal, 25 Gadwall, 23 Tufted Duck, 28 Coot, 6 Moorhen, 6 Canada Goose, 2 Mallard, 1 Little Grebe and 7 Shoveler.

Other notable birds.........350+ Pink Footed Goose ( flyovers ), 2 Cetti's Warbler, 2 Bullfinch, and 2 Grey Wagtail.

Flint Point...........

3000+ Redshank, 1 Greenshank, 3000+ Wigeon, 1000+ Pintail, 70+ Oystercatcher, 400+ Black Tailed Godwit, 20+ Bar Tailed Godwit, 200+ Shelduck, 200+ Teal, 30+ Curlew, 1 Whimbrel, 60+ Lapwing, 1000+ Canada Goose, 40+ Pink Footed Goose, 150+ Cormorant, 2 Curlew Sandpiper, 70+ Dunlin, 2 Great White Egret, 1 Great Crested Grebe, 1 Rock Pipit, 2 Marsh Harrier, 1 Hen Harrier, 2 Wheatear, 3 Grey Wagtail, and 2 Mistle Thrush.

Flint Point

07/10/18

Flint Point............( highlights only ).........

1 Grey Phalarope, was seen roosting amongst a very small group of Dunlin on the rocky shoreline/mudflats at first light,.........

A flock of 500+ Redshank, contained 13 Dunlin, 2 Curlew Sandpiper, 2 Bar Tailed Godwit, and also 1 Sanderling.

Flint Point

10/10/18

Flint Point...........

It was very difficult to do any reliable counts today, because of the mist that shrouded the estuary early morning, so the highlights of the birds that I could actually see,.... were..........3 Brambling, ( flyovers )..........

5000+ Pintail, 1000+ Wigeon, 300+ Redshank, 300+ Grey Plover, 100+ Black Tailed Godwit, 100+ Oystercatcher, 60+ Shelduck, 40+ Curlew, 100+ Teal, 100+ Canada Goose, 80+ Pink Footed Goose, 5 Dunlin, 1 Great Crested Grebe, 1 Rock Pipit, 2 Grey Wagtail, and 1 Wheatear.

Shotton Pools & Flint Point

20/10/18

Shotton Pools.........

2 Canada Goose, 35 Tufted Duck, 75 Gadwall, 25 Coot, 2 Shoveler, 5 Moorhen, 1 Green Sandpiper, 9 Teal, 13 Mallard, 1 Shelduck, 1 Grey Heron, 1 Snipe, 2 Reed Bunting, and 2 Water Rail.

Other notable birds.........2 Cetti's Warbler, 1 Redwing, 2 Fieldfare, 1 Bullfinch, 2 Jay, 1 Marsh Harrier, 600+ Canada Goose ( flyovers ), and 150+ Pink Footed Goose ( flyovers ).

Flint Point........

1 Great Crested Grebe, 1 Whimbrel, 50+ Mallard, 6000+ Redshank, 105 Dunlin, 40+ Oystercatcher, 90+ Lapwing, 2 Mute Swan, 20+ Curlew, 40+ Bar Tailed Godwit, 30+ Black Tailed Godwit, 2 Ringed Plover, 100+ Teal, 3500+ Canada Goose, 9000+ Wigeon, 1000+ Pintail, 60+ Grey Plover, 80+ Cormorant, 2 Grey Heron, 8 Little Egret, 2 Great White Egret, 2 Spoonbill, and 7 Goosander.

Other notable birds.........2 Jay, 1 Grey Wagtail, 2 Mistle Thrush, 2 Marsh Harrier, and 8 Raven,.........( visible migration ).......2 Lesser Redpoll, 2 Brambling, 3 Siskin, 300+ Chaffinch, 50+ Skylark, 3 Rock Pipit, 300+ Woodpigeon, and 20+ Meadow Pipit.

27/10/18

Shotton Pools.......

Probable small flock of Bearded Tit........( Rocky Pool reed beds )......calls heard on several occasions, but NO birds seen..........

Pools...........2 Mute Swan, 55 Gadwall, 33 Tufted Duck, 1 Little Grebe, 17 Coot, 29 Mallard, 14 Shoveler, 16 Canada Goose, 10 Teal, 1 Moorhen, 2 Shelduck, 1 Water Rail, 2 Snipe, ( 1 seen, being taken by a male Sparrowhawk ), 1 Pied Wagtail, and 2 Reed Bunting.

Other notable birds................4 Jay, 2 Cetti's Warbler, 300+ Pink Footed Goose ( flyovers ), and 300+ Canada Goose ( flyovers ).

Feeding Station...........10+ Goldfinch, 10+ Chaffinch, 2 Coal Tit, 1 Great Spotted Woodpecker, 10+ Long Tailed Tit, 3 Great Tit, 3 Blue Tit, 2 Robin, and 2 Dunnock.

Flint Point.........

16 Twite, 6000+ Pintail, 1000+ Wigeon, 4 Goosander, 1000+ Black Tailed Godwit, 300+ Bar Tailed Godwit, 400+ Pink Footed Goose, 500+ Canada Goose, 300+ Mallard, 60+ Teal, 200+ Redshank, 100+ Oystercatcher, 30+ Shelduck, 20+ Curlew, 4 Red Breasted Merganser, 1 Great White Egret, 100+ Starling, 40+ Jackdaw, 50+ Redwing, 6 Raven, 4 Marsh Harrier, and 1 Grey Wagtail.

Flint Point

28/10/18

Flint Point........

Visible migration...........400+ Woodpigeon, 180+ Chaffinch, 12 Skylark, 12 Meadow Pipit, 2 Lesser Redpoll, 4 Siskin, and 2 Brambling.

17 Twite, 2 Whimbrel, 300+ Redshank, 500+ Teal, 5000+ Pintail, 100+ Oystercatcher, 3 Curlew, 20+ Grey Plover, 160+ Bar Tailed Godwit, 1 Great Crested Grebe, 20+ Golden Plover, 1000+ Wigeon, 2 Curlew Sandpiper, 2 Grey Heron, 5 Cormorant, 8 Little Egret, 30+ Shelduck, 100+ Dunlin, 150+ Canada Goose, 20+ Pink Footed Goose, 800+ Black Tailed Godwit, 40+ Lapwing, 15 Mute Swan, 30+ Stock Dove, 40+ Jackdaw, 160+ Starling, 20+ Goldfinch, 10+ Linnet, 6 Pied Wagtail, 2 Grey Wagtail, 9 Raven, 1 Great Spotted Woodpecker, 5 Snipe, 2 Marsh Harrier, and 20+ Redwing.........

28/10/18

Flint Point........

Visible migration...........400+ Woodpigeon, 180+ Chaffinch, 12 Skylark, 12 Meadow Pipit, 2 Lesser Redpoll, 4 Siskin, and 2 Brambling.

17 Twite, 2 Whimbrel, 300+ Redshank, 500+ Teal, 5000+ Pintail, 100+ Oystercatcher, 3 Curlew, 20+ Grey Plover, 160+ Bar Tailed Godwit, 1 Great Crested Grebe, 20+ Golden Plover, 1000+ Wigeon, 2 Curlew Sandpiper, 2 Grey Heron, 5 Cormorant, 8 Little Egret, 30+ Shelduck, 100+ Dunlin, 150+ Canada Goose, 20+ Pink Footed Goose, 800+ Black Tailed Godwit, 40+ Lapwing, 15 Mute Swan, 30+ Stock Dove, 40+ Jackdaw, 160+ Starling, 20+ Goldfinch, 10+ Linnet, 6 Pied Wagtail, 2 Grey Wagtail, 9 Raven, 1 Great Spotted Woodpecker, 5 Snipe, 2 Marsh Harrier, and 20+ Redwing.........
Hi Peugeot - would be interested to know if the twite are following any regular pattern as could be passing through Flint next weekend

Hi Peugeot - would be interested to know if the twite are following any regular pattern as could be passing through Flint next weekend

Hi Ivan..........

Yes they are........they are generally 'hanging around' the woodlands on your left hand side, as you walk to Flint Point itself, ( if you are not familiar with the area, then please let me know, and I will give you directions to the Point ).

They are also, habitually flying directly across the estuary towards Burton Marsh, and also to your right hand side, over the castle, and towards Oakenholt Marsh..........but beware, because there is also a small flock of Linnet in the area as well, although, the familiar 'call' and 'punched in' look to the face of Twite, should be diagnostic.

Hi Ivan..........

Yes they are........they are generally 'hanging around' the woodlands on your left hand side, as you walk to Flint Point itself, ( if you are not familiar with the area, then please let me know, and I will give you directions to the Point ).

They are also, habitually flying directly across the estuary towards Burton Marsh, and also to your right hand side, over the castle, and towards Oakenholt Marsh..........but beware, because there is also a small flock of Linnet in the area as well, although, the familiar 'call' and 'punched in' look to the face of Twite, should be diagnostic.
I think I know my way to Flint Point - I assume the best place to park is the Castle car park? Many thanks for this and hopefully the forecast gale will blow itself out - not looking forward to a sea watch on Anglesey at the moment!

I think I know my way to Flint Point - I assume the best place to park is the Castle car park? Many thanks for this and hopefully the forecast gale will blow itself out - not looking forward to a sea watch on Anglesey at the moment!

Hi Ivan.........

You can actually park your car safely on the roadside, that is next to the path that leads to Flint Point, and save yourself a few extra minutes of walking, which can be useful if you are carrying a scope/photographic equipment.

Travelling from the Queensferry/Connah's Quay direction.......

If you drive past the castle/lifeboat station on your right hand side, and then take the first turning on your right, and then turn immediately left, you will then be on the road that leads to Flint Point.......

Alternatively, if you are travelling from the Point Of Ayr direction..........

Turn left for the castle, and then first left again, and then immediately left again, this will leave you on the road for Flint Point.......

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back