• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Harris Hawk? (1 Viewer)

AdAstra09

So, I'm walking to the Desert Botanical Garden along a busy road when I hear some bird screeching it's head off @ a nearby office building. Ilook over and there is a gorgeous bird of prey sitting pretty in front of the blue windows. I hurried over and took several shots before it stared me down and flew away. I have passed by this spot several days now and it's always there. I guess it lives there. Anyway, I did a search on birds of prey in Phoenix, AZ and cross refrenced the list with google images and I came up with Harris Hawk. Confirm, please.

Attachments

• harris hawk-.jpg
    harris hawk-.jpg
    332.7 KB · Views: 102
Also, any way to tell if it's male or female?

These birds are obviously not native over here but they are a very very popular falconry bird. I myself own both a male and female. The females are much bigger, about a third. You can also tell by the tail length and the size of the feet. Having looked at your photo I'd say male.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back