• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Papilio warning (1 Viewer)

Wuchak

UPS just delivered my 6.5x21 papillo binos. I have been playing around with them for the last 15 minutes and they are just what I was hoping they would be. They are perfect for throwing in my pocket when take the dogs out for a walk in the woods or for going to the zoo or museum. Birds at the feeder look great and being able to look at my thumb in clear focus and having it take up the entire FOV is quite interesting.

I did however discover something that I thought I should warn others about. Looking around the house I was struck immediately with the thought that "this place is filthy". It's not really. I just cleaned yesterday. It's just that being able to see every spec of dirt, streak on the tv, and spot on the window 6.5 times larger makes it seem disgustingly filthy. I will gladly share the view through these in the field, zoo, or museum but nobody, and I mean nobody, will ever get to look through them inside of my house. : )

ETA: These are so different than regular binoculars that they really deserve a different classification. At the price they are almost a must buy. They are also perfect for kids (of all ages) to use to explore the outdoors. I'm looking forward to spring so I can watch some bugs with them.

Last edited:
UPS just delivered my 6.5x21 papillo binos. I have been playing around with them for the last 15 minutes and they are just what I was hoping they would be. They are perfect for throwing in my pocket when take the dogs out for a walk in the woods or for going to the zoo or museum. Birds at the feeder look great and being able to look at my thumb in clear focus and having it take up the entire FOV is quite interesting.

I did however discover something that I thought I should warn others about. Looking around the house I was struck immediately with the thought that "this place is filthy". It's not really. I just cleaned yesterday. It's just that being able to see every spec of dirt, streak on the tv, and spot on the window 6.5 times larger makes it seem disgustingly filthy. I will gladly share the view through these in the field, zoo, or museum but nobody, and I mean nobody, will ever get to look through them inside of my house. : )

ETA: These are so different than regular binoculars that they really deserve a different classification. At the price they are almost a must buy. They are also perfect for kids (of all ages) to use to explore the outdoors. I'm looking forward to spring so I can watch some bugs with them.

:-O

I have the 8.5x pair. They really are a special instrument. BTW; i have found out during the last week, that the focus speed and feel does not change/slow, down to -5 F. That is really something.

Last edited:
They are also perfect for kids (of all ages) to use to explore the outdoors. I'm looking forward to spring so I can watch some bugs with them.

I agree with everything else you said, but in case Pentax is reading this and wants to update the line, I'll point out that they would truly be perfect for kids if they had a smaller minimum IPD. Right now it is the (arbitrary and unfortunately not small enough for many kids and some small adults, especially women) industry standard of 56 mm.

--AP

Just don't take too close a look at the kids.

"Just don't take too close a look at the kids" (black crow) ... or "the wife"!
Only joking, my Dear; your complexion, as ever, is flawless ('flolless' USA).

When I bought my Papilio 6.5x, I spent the first few days viewing the 'antics' of ants...

Last edited:
I bought a pair last June, and find they are remarkable for the price; I have 6.5, and am seriously considering buying another pair 8.5 to share with my son and grandson.

I find they are very light well made, and very sharp and bright.

What I found works really well for me is, I mount them on a monopod, with the aid of a small stool I sit with my elbows resting on my knees with the monopod between my legs.

I can then focus on plants and between them for long periods in complete comfort, It opens a complete new world, you are able to reach right inside the plants and view a vast variety of life, it makes you feel you are in a rain forest, the views and different insects you see are truly remarkably.

A word of caution should a large spider or bee suddenly appear in your field of view unannounced it makes you jump the first few times this happens

I intend to buy a pair of winged eyecups to use with them this summer.

I would imagine the small table top tripods would be handy viewing @ terra firma level. The extremely close focus & modest price propel these beyond a niche model; in my book leastways.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back