• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Question about owls (1 Viewer)

jnicholes

So, I had a great horned owl in my neighborhood this morning. I was able to get a video of it. After I got the video, the owl swooped out of the tree, and went after a couple of small birds. It missed, and the small birds got away.

I thought owls only went after mice, not other birds!

Do owls even eat other birds?

I am confused.

So, I had a great horned owl in my neighborhood this morning. I was able to get a video of it. After I got the video, the owl swooped out of the tree, and went after a couple of small birds. It missed, and the small birds got away.

I thought owls only went after mice, not other birds!

Do owls even eat other birds?

I am confused.

Yes!

You'll find that the Owls that take birds most often, are those that hunt during daylight rather than the truly nocturnal species.

I was always told that when you are trying to survey owls with tape, start with the small ones and then try different species according to increasing size. The smaller species will be scared off when the larger species are heard. So that also suggests the bigger species will prey on the smaller ones.

I was always told that when you are trying to survey owls with tape, start with the small ones and then try different species according to increasing size. The smaller species will be scared off when the larger species are heard. So that also suggests the bigger species will prey on the smaller ones.

Eagle Owls definitly kill other Owls and Buzzards, not always for food but for territory.

I know it is not an owl, but we witnessed this the weekend before last!

Attachments

• E0922F01-D4FC-479F-845A-7742A679B564.jpeg
    E0922F01-D4FC-479F-845A-7742A679B564.jpeg
    704.1 KB · Views: 24
We often find Blue Jay and Northern Cardinal feathers when cleaning out our Eastern Screech Owl nest boxes.

Steve

I think Tawny Owls take a fair number of birds. They certainly attract considerable mobbing attention from small songbirds during the day, whereas Barn Owls seem to be pretty much ignored when hunting during the day. I don't think I've noticed either mobbing or alarm calls in response to them.

In Europe caution is commonly advised when playing owl tapes because of owl on owl hunting. If Tawny Owls are present in the area, one should never play a Pygmy Owl after dark, because it can get it eaten by the Tawny.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back