• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Last night's visitor (1 Viewer)

delia todd

If I said the wrong thing it was a Senior Moment
Staff member
Opus Editor
Supporter
Scotland
This moth was dozing high up on my kitchen wall.

I've never seen such a large one here. An ID would be appreciated.

It's gone this morning, but I'm not sure where as all the windows were shut.

Attachments

• BF Moth for ID.jpg
    BF Moth for ID.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 46
Hi Delia
It's a noctuid. One of our largest - but not the largest.
It's a Dark Arches, Apamea monoglypha.
Martin

Oh gosh!!! One I've only barely even heard of Martin!!!

I would never have got that from the pictures in my book!

Thanks so much lad.

Oh is it a Brindled Beauty I wonder?

Hi Delia. Dark Arches appears to be one of the more widespread, abundant moths in the country. As a relative beginner, I've lost count of how many times I've tried to string them into something else. Only this past week I chased down a large mystery moth during the daytime in our polytunnel that I was convinced was going to be a new moth for me. It wasn't. It was a Dark Arches.

Oh gosh!!! One I've only barely even heard of Martin!!!

I would never have got that from the pictures in my book!

Thanks so much lad.

Which book are you using Delia? I use the Field Guide to the Moths of Great Britain and Ireland - Waring and Townsend illustrated by the incomparable Richard Lewington - and I can usually get a result from that as long as the moth isn't battered to bits.

With respect to your present case, it shows three colour morphs of Dark Arches one of which is spot on for your moth.

John

Hi John thanks.

It's from the Pocket Nature series; Butterflies and Moths, Paul Street and Andrew Mackay.

The one like mine is in there, but it's the smaller image, they majored on the light coloured version, which I glossed over!

Hi John thanks.

It's from the Pocket Nature series; Butterflies and Moths, Paul Street and Andrew Mackay.

The one like mine is in there, but it's the smaller image, they majored on the light coloured version, which I glossed over!

I'd put the other one on your Christmas list, then, its worth it just for the plates. :t:

John

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back