• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Manfrotto tripod for Vortex 85 (1 Viewer)

occasional

I am trying to buy a tripod to go with a Vortex 85 telescope, but in the absence of anywhere to see tripods I am finding it difficult to get practical information.
The possibilities seem to have been reduced to an Element Traveller Big or a Befree Advanced but cannot discover the differences between these two models. Can anyone provide advice ?
I have also been told that a ball head is preferable to a fluid head. Is this correct ?

Hi,

Have you read up on some of the threads in the "Tripods & Heads" forum and read the tripod primer there?
The options you mentioned are IMO inadequate, particularly in your location, where wind is going to cause vibrations and make higher magnifications unusable.

Even if the zoom eyepiece on your Vortex is parfocal you are going to have to refocus at 60x (shorter depth of field) and I have seen scopes on tripods of this sort, where a touch of the focusser at 60x set off vibrations, making precise focus impossible. A cable release for a scope is not an option and photographers use lower magnifications anyway.

The Befree tripod you mentioned has 22,5 mm top leg sections and you are going to need around this diameter for the botton leg sections! Go for the minimum number of leg sections compatible with packing requirements and the most substantial tripod you can afford. For equivalent dimensions, carbon fibre is stiffer than aluminium but a generously dimensioned Al tripod is preferable to a spindly CF one.

John

I completely agree with John. Spindly legs are hopeless with a big scope. I use (and recommend) the Manfrotto 055CXPRO3, the aluminium version would be a realistic option although a bit heavier. However, a few hundred grams extra isn't a lot in the grand scheme of things. A used example shouldn't be hard to find. There are also plenty of Manfrotto video heads available used, anything from the 700RC2 upwards would be suitable IMO but watch the weight of some of the models. Finally, if you plan to carry your gear any distance, get a Scopac or similar. There's no way I could carry my kit without one!

Tony

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back