• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Red Kites in Wicklow (1 Viewer)

byebyebirdy12

Hello

I'm Planning a trip to East Coast nature reserve in County Wicklow. It is the closest patch to my home and I've heard there are red kites there at this time of year. Does anybody know where in the reserve can I find them and when is the best time to spot them?

Thank you for your help!

I was in Co. Wicklow earlier this year (end of May/beg of June) and saw plenty of Red Kites, they certainly aren't restricted to the ECNR! The re-introduction scheme that started around Avoca has been pretty successful I'd say.

HTH,

Chris

You should see them anywhere round Avoca. You also see them regularly from the N11 near there. Late morning 10am plus is probably best, as for all larger raptors but I should think anytime near Avoca.
Paul

Yes I would recommend Avoca as the most sure-fire place to see them, though as others have pointed out, you might see them at ECNR or many other places round Wicklow.

Visit ECNR anyway! Never know what you might spot. Kilcoole is also nearby and can yield some rarities any time of the year.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back