• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (11 Viewers)

Bad day at the office David?!!! ;) Request permission in advance to type in that large a font size when I find one at Holme in the morning....! B :)

Denied. ;)

You can have the bold (and maybe a word or two underlined) but nothing more than font size 3 for a Bluethroat. However, if it's a Yellow-breasted Bunting or something rarer, then you can do whatever you want (as long as you call me first).

And, yes, it's been a long week at work after returning from Porthgwarra late on Sunday... but being called rude and ungrateful (and the couple of PMs that went with it) has provided some overdue entertainment!

Fingers crossed for a seawatch on Monday.

bluethroat records

just a bluethroat is downplaying the small number of records in recent years. Red flanked bluetail may have easier to catch up with in norfolk recently! :cat:

just a bluethroat is downplaying the small number of records in recent years. Red flanked bluetail may have easier to catch up with in norfolk recently! :cat:

I think that the fact that a Bluethroat has been at Welney for the past 4 months means that most people who want to see one will have done, hence the downplaying of what would otherwise have been a bird that would have aroused more interest.

This morning I had 8 Common Sandpipers along the river near Trowse, eventually flying off towards Whitlingham, the first time I have seen more than two in the area.

I think that the fact that a Bluethroat has been at Welney for the past 4 months means that most people who want to see one will have done, hence the downplaying of what would otherwise have been a bird that would have aroused more interest.

This morning I had 8 Common Sandpipers along the river near Trowse, eventually flying off towards Whitlingham, the first time I have seen more than two in the area.

Bit of a Sandpiper fan myself, 8 is a good count, especially of Commons.
1-2 birds still at Surlingham.
Winds look good for some seawatching sun/mon.
Jim.

Waxham this morning: 2 Whinchat, 5 Wheatear, 5 Lesser Whitethroats, Yellow Wagtail.
Buckenham this afternoon: 2 Wood Sands, 2 Green Sands, 6 Common Sands, 3 Ruff, 2 Little Egret, Hobby.

Cheers
Jono

A better-than-expected seawatch at Sheringham from first light today especially as it seems yesterday was a bit of a washout. Highlights:

Juv long-tailed west (quarter distance)
2 Poms east (third distance)
2 Balearic shearwaters east (just beyond flag line)
34 Arctic skuas east
35 Bonxies east
4 Arctic terns east

plus steady trickle of sandwich/common terns and gannets moving east.

No petrels or sooties but as several threads have already indicated Monday might be the day if the forecast holds.

Interestingly the first Balearic was what we assumed to be the bird originally seen at Cley and it took 17 mins to get from there to Sheringham - gives an idea of how quickly you might need to get to Sheringham next time a Feas goes east past Cley............

Two weeks ago, the exact date escapes me, there were 3 Common Sands along the Wensum by the railway bridge before heading towards Whitlingham. And from the description I was given, there was another briefly in one of the warehouses at Britvic this morning.

Walking the dog today I had 2-3 Chiffchaffs and a Redstart south of Happisburgh...

James

[QUOTE.......... gives an idea of how quickly you might need to get to Sheringham next time a Feas goes east past Cley............[/QUOTE]

All depends when the news comes out :eek!:
Another balearic east past the shelter at 14:15 as well, during my lonely vigil.

Interestingly the first Balearic was what we assumed to be the bird originally seen at Cley and it took 17 mins to get from there to Sheringham - gives an idea of how quickly you might need to get to Sheringham next time a Feas goes east past Cley............

Two Balearics were tracked around the county coast, in calm conditions, on 30th August 2008. First seen passing east from the (seaward!) end of the East Bank at Cley at 6:50am they were noted passing Overstrand at 7:20am (+30mins), Happisburgh at 7:45am (+55mins from Cley) and finally Winterton at 8:40am (+1hr 50mins from Cley). They were quite close in and their passing appeared quite leisurely, affording good views even through 10x bins.

The June 1997 Fea's/Zino's, first seen over Blakeney Point, was seen at Cley, Sheringham and finally Mundesley, it passing the latter site a couple of hours or so (I stand to be corrected?) after the original sighting. Perhaps it moved out to sea in the Cromer area, where the coastline noticeably turns south-east, before looping back south later.

James

Quicky ! Dicky Icky Piccies

Arriving at Salthouse beach car park, I encountered Robin A, who said that he’d had nothing at Gramboro’. We therefore drove around to Walsey Hills NOA, where there was a Chiffchaff doing a perfect imitation of Greenish's call- and responding to playback !

About halfway along the path, I spotted a domed crown, attached to the body of a warbler and said something along the lines of ‘that’s an Icky’. It then vanished towards the southern end of the reserve. We relocated it in the willows, whereupon I strode off up the field (the future's definitely Orange), to alert nearby birders. While I was doing this, Robin had it out in the open at about 20 feet for 10 seconds, confirming it as an ICTERINE WARBLER. The pics were taken a little later, from a sensible distance, when it was feeding in the sallows along the southern edge. Steve G has much better ones.

There was also a Pied Flycatcher- later 3.

The whole of the ‘front’ from Warham Greens to Stiffkey had nothing of note.

Later on, Gramboro’ held 3 Whinchats and a couple of Wheatears- I missed the Wryneck. Curses !

The Little Eye had 2 Whinchats, too.

Attachments

• 004psesm.jpg
    004psesm.jpg
    180.2 KB · Views: 246
  • 008psesm.jpg
    008psesm.jpg
    148 KB · Views: 223
  • 031psesm.jpg
    031psesm.jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 150
[QUOTE The pics were taken........ from a sensible distance............... Steve G has much better ones.[/QUOTE]

I think i see what you are saying here ;)

Managed to grip off The Point today with a one Pied Fly enjoyed by the locals at Friary Hills and seems they didn't have any haha ; - )

Mega Day!!!!!!!!

MEGA DAY (note large font for MEGA!!!;))

After oversleeping (read my blog) I eventually arrived mid morning(ish) at Walsey Hills which was perfect timing (thanks John!). Up on the pager Icterine Warbler and Pied Flycatcher, both of which I saw 11.45am - thanks Eddie for allowing me to look through your scope! Nice little party of birders including Eddie M, Andy J, Dave H. Robin A. and of course John F. to name but a few, all standing from a sensible distance and much too far for me to get a photograph.

Had a good look round Walsey and didn't find anything else of note.

Went to the visitor centre to remove thermal top - much too hot I decided to be wearing for 'The Point'! Whilst I was there I bought a buttered cheese scone to take away.

Parked at Coast Guards and started walking Blakeney Point at around 1.20pm. All I had was loads of Reed Buntings and a few Meadow Pipits up to Halfway House. Sat on the seat next the house and watched 3 Wheatears on the grassy area. Walked all round the sueda bushes and had lovely views of a Whinchat. Also had 2 Willow Warblers in exactly the same sueda bushes as Connor, his dad and I had the Icterine Warbler! You know when you are thinking, you wished you hadn't walked the point! I went through so many sueda bushes in hope of finding something good!

Continued on, half thinking about walking back, especially when 2 birders coming back said they had had nothing and also no birds in the plantation at all! I am sooooooo glad I didn't, anyway reached the Plantation and sat down having a cup of coffee and cheese scone when James McCallum appeared with another man. James very kindly told me where to find the Lapland Bunting at Long Point. He then got a very exciting phone call. Even before his finished the conversation I started to throw my half cup of coffee away and stuff things in rucksack!;)

Off we went to Long Hills to see a BOOTED WARBLER!!!!!!!!! And I did see it too, at 5pm and watched on and off (EXTREMELY ELUSIVE THOUGH) until 6.30pm. And to top it all I got some pictures too!!!!!! Found by Joe Cockram, Paul Nicholls and Eddie Stubbings at 4.30pm. Seriously though my photos won't win any prizes! Joe also got a flight shot (see: http://joesbirding.blogspot.com/). Think we were the only ones to get any pictures. Steve G. came along but I dont think he got any shots - I may be wrong though;) R.M and Andy S. also arrived later to view the bird.

Anyway I then decided to walk back to Long Point to see the Lapland Bunting which with the help of Eddie S. (thank you!) I did and also photographed it drinking from a puddle in the last of the sunshine! at 7.30pm - it then disappeared near a creek.

Sat down and had a coffee and a sandwich. I looked at the sun going down and you just know that you're going to be walking back in the dark, so whats the hurry!!!

Started walking at 7.45pm from Long Point and it seemed to go for ever and ever and ever! Also misjudged a few waves and got soaked feet to add to the already soaked feet from crossing creeks earlier to see the Booted Warbler. Got a partial message on pager 'Bluethroat...' Phoned RBA who told me Steve G. had a Bluethroat between the Hood and Halfway House - I smiled to myself and thought would I be that lucky to see that aswell!! On reaching that area, it was dark, so no hope there! Battery on phone almost run out, so had to turn it off for emergencies. Good job it was a full moon! I could just about see the triangle shape of the roof of the hut at Coastguards! It was such a relief to open my car door at 9.20pm!!! The drive home seemed almost as long as the walk back! Got home 10.30pm.

SLEEEEEP!!!!!

Booted Warbler and Lapland Bunting pictures will be on my blog tomorrow.

Best Wishes a very happy Penny;):girl:

Last edited:
Strong North Easterlies with rain currently!!!!! Really should be walking the point (Blakeney Point) but today I am going to be a pager birder - have bags and flask ready by the door just in case!!!! As I want to finish my birdfair photos.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/ee/docking_forecast_weather.html

Will be out early tomorrow!!!

7.15pm - EXACTLY!!!

RBA: Bluethroat on Far Point this afternoon, Blakeney Point!!!!!

learn to do indoor thinks, when its too dark to bird. Who Dares Wins

from what it looks like the wind is veering W to NW about 1 o'clock tomorrow afternoon then continuing that way into the evening, might be sea passage in the morning but i'd guess that the floodgates will open as soon as the wind swings, many a decent seawatch has been missed by people leaving too early, so might be an idea to chill out in the morning and have a lie in and mosey on down to the coast for a looksies after Sunday lunch 8-P... or of course i may be completely wrong ... :-O

http://magicseaweed.com/msw-surf-charts2.php?chart=1&res=750&type=wind&starttime=

http://www.xcweather.co.uk/

Cley again turns up trumps!

It was a job to get up this morning - I ached all over from walking Blakeney Point yesterday, but it had definately been worth it! (see last night's post)

Had a slow morning. I felt compelled to go to Cley again, my new patch! On route stopped off at The House on the Hill at Blakney to find MY Mega, and also the track the otherside of the road, but alas nothing at all! Then went straight to the Cley Visitor Centre and had jacket potato with cheese and coleslaw, salad etc. Really sunny weather, but windy. I did not have the energy to walk BP again to see the bluethroat that was showing through the day at 'The Hood'

Went to Walsey Hills where I bumped into Pete S. Had a walk through the centre path which was extremely busy with birds, including 2 lesser whitethroats, 1 garden warbler, fem blackcap, 2 chiffchaffs and a chaffinch all in one small area. No sign of the Icterine that I saw yesterday.

Pete and I then went to Kelling Quags in hope of a Barred Warbler or something anyway! It was teaming with rain when we arrived, so sat in the car for a nap. A bit later the sun shone again and off we went. Nothing of note until we got to the metal gate - the Common Crane was sitting in the field just right of the pool! 4.15pm. It then took off and flew in the direction of Salthouse - got some pictures too! Got some fabulous pictures of a fem. Ruff very close to the fence/path. Few reedbuntings and common whitethroats about. Walking round the corner from the pool we had stunning views of a Turtle Dove flying across the black skies in the sunshine!

Started to walk back and then I got a call from Andy Wilkinson that he, Justin Lansdell and Chris Mills had found a Short toed Lark a few hundreds yards west of Cley Coastguards! Walked as fast as I could back to the car. Pete couldn't go, prior engagement. Arrived at Coastguards and walked the few hundred yards to the area. Cutting a long story short it took a very long time to see it, in fact I nearly gave up as some people had already. I stubbonly walked a lot further than a few hundred yards in hope of seeing it and also the rain was now lashing down. When I looked back I could see a group of birders not far from the carpark and it was obvious they were watching something! The crowd then started to walk towards me, excellent I thought someone's flushed it in my direction. Eventually it did show itself to probably half the original crowd including John F., Robin A., Andy J., Eddie M., Carl C., and others I know by face but not by name. Saw the Short toed Lark at 7pm and got some records shots too. Walked back to car, sandwich and coffee and then drove home.

Best Wishes Penny:girl:

OTHER PICTURES ON BLOG

Attachments

• IMG_7112-web.jpg
    IMG_7112-web.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 184
  • IMG_7061-web.jpg
    IMG_7061-web.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 128
  • IMG_7016-web.jpg
    IMG_7016-web.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_7022-web.jpg
    IMG_7022-web.jpg
    3.5 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:
MEGA DAY (note large font for MEGA!!!;))

After oversleeping (read my blog) I eventually arrived mid morning(ish) at Walsey Hills which was perfect timing (thanks John!). Up on the pager Icterine Warbler and Pied Flycatcher, both of which I saw 11.45am - thanks Eddie for allowing me to look through your scope! Nice little party of birders including Eddie M, Andy J, Dave H. Robin A. and of course John F. to name but a few, all standing from a sensible distance and much too far for me to get a photograph.

Had a good look round Walsey and didn't find anything else of note.

Went to the visitor centre to remove thermal top - much too hot I decided to be wearing for 'The Point'! Whilst I was there I bought a buttered cheese scone to take away.

Parked at Coast Guards and started walking Blakeney Point at around 1.20pm. All I had was loads of Reed Buntings and a few Meadow Pipits up to Halfway House. Sat on the seat next the house and watched 3 Wheatears on the grassy area. Walked all round the sueda bushes and had lovely views of a Whinchat. Also had 2 Willow Warblers in exactly the same sueda bushes as Connor, his dad and I had the Icterine Warbler! You know when you are thinking, you wished you hadn't walked the point! I went through so many sueda bushes in hope of finding something good!

Continued on, half thinking about walking back, especially when 2 birders coming back said they had had nothing and also no birds in the plantation at all! I am sooooooo glad I didn't, anyway reached the Plantation and sat down having a cup of coffee and cheese scone when James McCallum appeared with another man. James very kindly told me where to find the Lapland Bunting at Long Point. He then got a very exciting phone call. Even before his finished the conversation I started to throw my half cup of coffee away and stuff things in rucksack!;)

Off we went to Long Hills to see a BOOTED WARBLER!!!!!!!!! And I did see it too, at 5pm and watched on and off (EXTREMELY ELUSIVE THOUGH) until 6.30pm. And to top it all I got some pictures too!!!!!! Found by Joe Cockram, Paul Nicholls and Eddie Stubbings at 4.30pm. Seriously though my photos won't win any prizes! Joe also got a flight shot (see: http://joesbirding.blogspot.com/). Think we were the only ones to get any pictures. Steve G. came along but I dont think he got any shots - I may be wrong though;) R.M and Andy S. also arrived later to view the bird.

Anyway I then decided to walk back to Long Point to see the Lapland Bunting which with the help of Eddie S. (thank you!) I did and also photographed it drinking from a puddle in the last of the sunshine! at 7.30pm - it then disappeared near a creek.

Sat down and had a coffee and a sandwich. I looked at the sun going down and you just know that you're going to be walking back in the dark, so whats the hurry!!!

Started walking at 7.45pm from Long Point and it seemed to go for ever and ever and ever! Also misjudged a few waves and got soaked feet to add to the already soaked feet from crossing creeks earlier to see the Booted Warbler. Got a partial message on pager 'Bluethroat...' Phoned RBA who told me Steve G. had a Bluethroat between the Hood and Halfway House - I smiled to myself and thought would I be that lucky to see that aswell!! On reaching that area, it was dark, so no hope there! Battery on phone almost run out, so had to turn it off for emergencies. Good job it was a full moon! I could just about see the triangle shape of the roof of the hut at Coastguards! It was such a relief to open my car door at 9.20pm!!! The drive home seemed almost as long as the walk back! Got home 10.30pm.

SLEEEEEP!!!!!

Booted Warbler and Lapland Bunting pictures will be on my blog tomorrow.

Best Wishes a very happy Penny;):girl:

HERE ARE A COUPLE OF PHOTOS - OTHERS NOW ON BLOG

Attachments

• IMG_6983-web.jpg
    IMG_6983-web.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 197
  • IMG_7004-web.jpg
    IMG_7004-web.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 176

Users who are viewing this thread

Back