• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird ID help Highlands Scotland (1 Viewer)

askill21

Hi I’m new here and one of the main reasons I have signed up to this forum is that although I like birdwatching, I never used to get very near many birds, but since a couple of years we have now got a cat and due to this I have come across quite a few birds, some of which I have rescued but some have died.
We live at approximately 1000ft above Loch Ness and I have been quite surprised with the variety that exists up here.
On September 22nd this year the cat brought in a bird that I managed to rescue, but I had no idea what it was. It’s not the best photo and a little dark, but if someone was able to help that would be most appreciated.
Thanks Chris

Attachments

• ECCC2804-27DD-4175-BDA7-3F66494B0EFA.jpg
    ECCC2804-27DD-4175-BDA7-3F66494B0EFA.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 213
Hi Chris,

your cat got a Stonechat. The slender bill in combination with rather large eyes and white in wing are good pointers.

Many thanks Roland!
I did notice the large eyes and refined beak and had no joy with my bird ID app- seems these features are quite peculiar to this bird.
Thanks again Chris

I'm sure I am out of order her and I'll take any flak that is due to come my way but I find it rather bizarre that the OP should ask for help on a bird forum whilst openly revelling in the hunting prowess of his cat that has been killing birds. Sorry Askill but are you for real? I am all in favour of mjh73's suggestion, and maybe you could be hanging on to the bell at the same time?
I have a neighbour who kicked off about the fact that my Rabbits are free to run around my garden until one got out and sat on his lawn. He completely missed the irony that his cat is actually allowed to run free, terrorise birds at my feeding station and crap on my garden as it pleases. Most cat owners just don't get it I am afraid.

I'm sure I am out of order her and I'll take any flak that is due to come my way but I find it rather bizarre that the OP should ask for help on a bird forum whilst openly revelling in the hunting prowess of his cat that has been killing birds. Sorry Askill but are you for real? I am all in favour of mjh73's suggestion, and maybe you could be hanging on to the bell at the same time?
So your way of greeting a new forum member and trying to sensitize him to conservation issues is essentially saying "kill yourself"? And the other guy is like "hurr durr drown ur cat asap pls".

Yeah, that's gonna improve people's view of conservationists.

So your way of greeting a new forum member and trying to sensitize him to conservation issues is essentially saying "kill yourself"? And the other guy is like "hurr durr drown ur cat asap pls".

Yeah, that's gonna improve people's view of conservationists.

As I said, I'll take whatever flak anyone wants to throw because I feel strongly enough about it. If you want to adopt a woolly 'everything is fine you come on in and we won't say your cat is very naughty' you go ahead.

Whatever you do, the bloke is going to go on living where he is, with his cat. So, mission focus: help him to minimise cat's effect.

"Could I suggest you try putting a bell on the cat ...... please." Effective

".....then put the bell in the loch" Ineffective (but funny, I admit)

"I'm sure I am out of order her and I'll take any flak that is due to come my way but I find it rather bizarre that the OP should ask for help on a bird forum whilst openly revelling in the hunting prowess of his cat that has been killing birds. Sorry Askill but are you for real? I am all in favour of mjh73's suggestion, and maybe you could be hanging on to the bell at the same time?" Self-indulgent, supremely ineffective, not funny and quite possibly counter-productive. Bravo.

John

Self-indulgent, supremely ineffective, not funny and quite possibly counter-productive. Bravo.

John[/QUOTE]

First off, thank you for your applause, much appreciated.
Second, yes, self-indulgent indeed and no I am not on a mission, I just felt like saying what I was thinking. It is funny that we all bang on about political correctness but then get upset when someone holds a contrary opinion, and ignore the fact that someone is only on the forum because he wants us to identify the dead and dying birds his cat brings in? Yes, I think I'll allow myself a little self indulgence. As for effectiveness, I never set out to be effective, I'll leave that to you and funny: I wasn't laughing at any of the posts but I am sure you can find a suitable punch line to leave us in stitches

I love cats and have always owned one or two. I am also a keen birder. My cats have an outdoor enclosed run which ensures they have access to exercise and fresh air, but not to garden birds. See this link https://www.omlet.co.uk. OK, it costs money, but responsible pet ownership does not come cheap, especially in an environmentally sensitive area such as the Scottish Highlands where your moggy and its friends may be hybridizing and endangering the relict Wild Cat population.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back