• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Shorebirds - Playa Del Rey, CA - USA (1 Viewer)

PONYRCR

My brain has shorted out today. All these darn shorebirds look the same to me. Bird overload I suppose. All were seen today at the Del Rel Lagoon.

First bird I think (hope) is a winter Red Knot. This one would be a life bird. I know the bird was at the lagoon today, so I'm hoping I have the ID right.

Second photo is bird I originally thought was the Knot, but now I don't think it is.

Third photo is above bird with a Black-bellied Plover for size and shape comparison.

Fourth & fifth have me stumped. I'm sure it's either a winter Dunlin or a dowitcher.

Attachments

• Unk.jpg
    Unk.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 104
  • Knot3ps.jpg
    Knot3ps.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 100
  • Knot ploverps.jpg
    Knot ploverps.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 111
  • Unk2.jpg
    Unk2.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 153
  • Dowitcher.jpg
    Dowitcher.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 86
1st bird is a Willet.

2nd and 3rd is indeed a Red Knot.

4th and 5th is a Dowitcher species, though im not sure which, will take a stab at Short Billed as I think there is slight decurvature of the beak, the supercil appears arched and the forehead steep, for what that's worth!
D

Last edited:
1 'Western' Willet
2 Red Knot
3 Black-bellied Plover and Red Knot
4-5 Short-billed Dowitcher, mainly by the overall slim attenuated shape of the bird, a Long-billed looks like it has 'swallowed a grapefruit' most of the time. Also just the general feel/jizz of the bird.

4 & 5 look very much like a Short-billed Dowitcher. Here is a picture of a LBDO. Notice how much straighter the bill looks. Agree with the others.

Attachments

• longbilleddowitcher.jpg
    longbilleddowitcher.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 139
Thanks guys.

The fog in my brain finally cleared when I got to work. I was looking at a field guide I keep at my desk and realized "duh" that photo one was a Willet.

Glad to know my first instinct in the field was right regarding the Red Knot.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back