• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Extinct by 2010 (1 Viewer)

david2004

I read on a website that unless something is done, our precious Red squirrels will vanish from the British Isles by 2010! That's 6 years!

tp20uk said:
I read on a website that unless something is done, our precious Red squirrels will vanish from the British Isles by 2010! That's 6 years!
Dont be to down hearted, the red's at formby point in lancashire are more than holding their own at the moment. If we believed all we read most of our wildlife would be long gone, nature still try's to balance things out even with the interference of man she is still doing a grand job. It's just that some speices have good and bad years, and the press make the most of the bad ones and leave the good one's out, they don't sell as well!!!
bert.

tp20uk said:

Don't believe everything you read on websites! They are increasing slowly but surely on Anglesey, as a result of a project involving the culling of Grey Squirrels.

sounds rather over the top to me tp

regarding nature balancing man's effect - if you lose habitat you will lose population - nature doesn't have the ability to balance this out. While some of the stories may strike folk as over reactions as things never seem to actually go extinct, certainly on a global scale hundreds of bird species have declined to extremely low population levels. These very small numbers are often then protected in some form or other so never actually disappear. But a world full of severely endangered species in islands of half decent habitat in a sea of degraded habitat is depressing. 'Nature' will certainly be unable to ameliorate the effects of climate change and its ensuing problems. The IUCN Red Data Books get bigger every edition

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back