• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The fairly unknown Louis Jean Pierre Vieillot or Louis Pierre Vieillot (1 Viewer)

Tried to convince them here to revert but there are a lot of users believing more in other Wikis and old literature than baptism entries etc.
It's fairly standard practice on Wikipedia, I think, to prefer secondary sources (those which convey "widely accepted", "consensual" ideas) over primary sources (for which a consensus interpretation doesn't exist yet).
Actually, with an original baptism entry, you may be quite close to conflicting with [this policy]. (Even if you are evidently right.)

Actually, with an original baptism entry, you may be quite close to conflicting with [this policy]. (Even if you are evidently right.)

You might be correct but they could use this source instead.;) Of course I see a lot of other more important issues which should be solved before rejecting valid research. And why should an original baptism entry be no reliable, published source? They are published an everyone can read them. But I think this is here the wrong place to discuss Wikipedia.

P.S. And the quality of articles is sometimes far from scientific publications and use other wikis as a reference as well.

Last edited:
viellotinus and vielloti

The key entry viellotinus may need some update to Louis Pierre Vieillot (1748-1830). Today it is...

Louis Pierre Vieillot (1748-1831) French naturalist, collector; ex “Petit Malfini” of de Buffon (Sonnini ed.)1800-1802 (syn. Accipiter striatus).

vielloti as well:

Original spelling of specific name Trochilus vieilloti Shaw, 1812 (= subsp. Mellisuga minima).

OD here writes it as Trochilus vielloti (no i). But the missing i makes me some headache. Shouldn't the name be corrected as per code. In Shaws description he clearly referred to description and illustration of l'Oiseau-Mouche à ventre-gris by Louis Pierre Vieillot (even misspelled). Vieillot love to confuse me l'Oiseau-Mouche à ventre-gris or here? I assume it is the Oiseau-Mouche à ventre-gris Shaw mentioned. I am sure Plate 53 is the subspecies described and illustrated by Vieillot.

I am not sure if Zonomen is correct with the entry:

Mellisuga minima vielloti Nomenclature
As noted in the Richmond Index, Shaw consistently misspells Vieillot's name as "Viellot" throughout the volume.
Understandably, the specific epithet is often emended to "vieilloti", and the justification of that emandation is the subject of dispute.
In my view, special judgments and divination of "original intent" are avoided by simply employing the spelling used by the author of the name.

Last edited:
Today's HBW (very) Alive Key now has:
vieilloti
Louis Pierre Vieillot (1748-1830) French naturalist, collector (Coccyzus (ex Saurothera vetula Vieillot, 1819), syn. Colibri serrirostris, syn. Dendroica erithachorides, Lybius (ex “Barbu Rubicon” of Levaillant 1807), subsp. Mellisuga minima, syn. Pachyramphus viridis, syn. Pyrrhula pyrrhula europoea (ex Pyrrhula europoea Vieillot, 1816), Sphecotheres, syn. Strepera versicolor, syn. Tachuris rubrigastra, subsp. Tangara mexicana).
vieillotii
Louis Pierre Vieillot (1748-1830) French naturalist, collector (syn. Dendrocopos borealis, syn. Pyrrhomyias cinnamomea).
vieillotioides
Specific name Muscipeta vieillotii d’Orbigny, 1839 (= syn. Pyrrhomyias cinnamomea); Gr. -οιδης -oidēs resembling (Pyrrhomyias).
vielloti
Original spelling of specific name Trochilus vieilloti Shaw, 1812 (= subsp. Mellisuga minima).
viellotinus
Louis Pierre Vieillot (1748-1830) French naturalist, collector; ex “Petit Malfini” of de Buffon (Sonnini ed.) 1800-1802 (syn. Accipiter striatus).
Harmony rules!

Sorry this is not an entymological question about him. I am wondering how it was possible to publish Nouveau dictionnaire d'histoire naturelle, appliquée aux arts, à l'agriculture, à l'économie rurale et domestique, à la médecine, etc. in 36 Volumes in only three years (1816-1819). Of course it wasn't only Vieillot who wrote for it. But such a project seems to be very ambitous, especially in that ancient time. And sometimes I doubt that Vieillot have published so many new species e.g. in 1819. And the only most questionable date is Vol 25 (according Priority! The dating of Scientific Names in Ornithology). But it seems true according ''Bibliography de la France" and we all should follow The Birds of Australia (Mathews) Supplement 5 (1925), from the man who makes us so much of headache in context with his name inspirations.

It is all because it were editions, I have these here listed below:

Vieillot, L. P. 1816. In Nouveau dictionnaire d’histoire naturelle, appliquée aux arts, à l’agriculture, à l’économie rurale et domestique, à la médecine, etc. Par une société de naturalistes et d’agriculteurs. Édition 1-6. Chez Deterville, Paris.
Vieillot, L. P. 1817. In Nouveau dictionnaire d’histoire naturelle, appliquée aux arts, à l’agriculture, à l’économie rurale et domestique, à la médecine, etc. Par une société de naturalistes et d’agriculteurs. Édition 7-18. Chez Deterville, Paris.
Vieillot, L. P. 1818. In Nouveau dictionnaire d’histoire naturelle, appliquée aux arts, à l’agriculture, à l’économie rurale et domestique, à la médecine, etc. Par une société de naturalistes et d’agriculteurs. Édition 19-27. Chez Deterville, Paris.
Vieillot, L. P. 1819. In Nouveau dictionnaire d’histoire naturelle, appliquée aux arts, à l’agriculture, à l’économie rurale et domestique, à la médecine, etc. Par une société de naturalistes et d’agriculteurs. Édition 28-36. Chez Deterville, Paris.

A belated response, but Oehser quotes:

PREFACE FROM WILLUGHBY SOCIETY REPRINT OF VIEILLOT'S 'ANALYSE...', 1883
"Louis-Pierre (or Louis Jean Pierre) Vieillot, was born, say his biographers, at Yvetôt on the 10th May, 1748.

which seems to be the earliest use of "Jean". The 1883 reprint is on BHL.

It would be good to track down the (French) sources quoted in that preface.

Last edited:
It would be good to track down the (French) sources quoted in that preface.

"'Biographie des hommes vivants,' v. p. 206 (Paris, 1819)"
p. 506, actually :

"Audebert, in the ' Biographie Universelle,' iii. p. 20 (Paris, 1811)"

"'Nouvelle Biographie Universelle,' iii. p. 698 (Paris, 1853)."
p. 598, actually :

"Swainson's "Bibliography of Zoology," in Lardner's 'Cabinet Encyclopedia,' p. 364 (1840)."
not French, of course, but here :

No "Jean" anywhere in these sources, so far as I can see.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back