• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

April Moths (1 Viewer)

antshrike69

United Kingdom
The year continues to grind away with cold nights still. I finally decided to bite the bullet and run the trap last night for the first time in 2013. The results? 5 Hebrew Characters and 2 Common Quakers. It's a start!

At last; first moths since 19th March! This morning a clouded drab and a common quaker. Both nfy. Roll on the warmer evenings that may well be coming along as the week progresses.
regards,
Jono

Early Grey y'day and a Hebrew Character this morning - it's a start!

Just got my first moth for the year at the kitchen window - one Agonopterix heracliana (Linnaeus, 1758)

I hope I fare better in Mallorca (fly off tomorrow)!

Martin

Oak Beauty

An oak beauty (Biston strataria) only moth this morning. Always a great moth to trap and only my 2nd garden record following on from one last year on 2nd March

Attachments

• DSC_0007.JPG
    DSC_0007.JPG
    185.7 KB · Views: 72
Nice Oak Beauty - I had two in the trap a couple of nights ago. They are scarce in my garden too - I had a series in 2011 but none before or since!
Things are still slow, but Grey Shoulder-knot was nice yesterday.

Slow increase in numbers over the previous 2 nights, but still rating as poor. Today;
2 cmn quakers
1 chestnut
1 satellite
1 twin spotted quaker (nfy)

yesterday;
1 clouded drab
1 sm quaker (nfy)
5 cmn quaker

Temps look set to increase, so could be a good mothing weekend.
regards,
Jono

Last edited:
unidentified moth

I'm just beginning to learn about moth i.d. and am finding it a little daunting!
This moth appeared yesterday. Perhaps someone could start me off by naming it. Are there any specific moths I should be looking out for in April?

Attachments

• moth.jpg
    moth.jpg
    196 KB · Views: 75
I'm just beginning to learn about moth i.d. and am finding it a little daunting!
This moth appeared yesterday. Perhaps someone could start me off by naming it. Are there any specific moths I should be looking out for in April?

You're not alone!

Try looking at a site like THIS, maybe there's one for your area, it helps to cut down on the likely suspects.

Thanks, Tri-counties Birder and MSA. I'll certainly check out the site. I see from my moth book that Angle shades usually appears in May...the weather is attrocious today..I hope it survived.

Thanks, Tri-counties Birder and MSA. I'll certainly check out the site. I see from my moth book that Angle shades usually appears in May...the weather is attrocious today..I hope it survived.

I saw one in March. They have been found in all months of the year.

I believe this is Diurnea fagella, but would appreciate confirmation (apologies for pic quality)...

Attachments

• IMG_2339crop.jpg
    IMG_2339crop.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 64
Yes it is. I had one in the trap last night. It's quite a common micro here in neighbouring Hampshire, most frequently found in March and April.

Dave W

Best night 2013: 5 common quakers, 5 hebrew characters, 4 clouded drab, 2 small quaker, 1 oak beauty, 1 double striped pug (nfy) 1 satellite, 1 early grey (nfy) 1 Ag alstromeriana (nfy)
Jono

First double-figures night this year, but still rather lacking in variety - Early Grey x 5, Common Quaker x 2, Double-striped Pug x 2, Diurnea fagella x 2.

Finally a trap with moths in it! Although not my own. Yesterday I was looking round the University of East Anglia and whilst on an Ecology tour we emptied a moth trap they had put out the night before. 8 species:
Pine Beauty (nfm)
Oak-tree Pug (nfm)
Angle Shades
Clouded Drab
Small Quaker
Common Quaker
Hebrew Character
Diurnea fagella
Which means I'm now on 10 species for the year, and only 1 at home!

Dire so far. Friday night resulted in 1 Hebrew Character!!! I hate to think how much that cost.

Did better around farm lights in February with March Moth and Dotted Border.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back