• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

first scope? (1 Viewer)

Well, I just purchased my first spotting scope here in the US and I must say I am quite pleased with it. It is the Raven from Eagle Optics. It's not the one I really, really want but that will come later. I wonder if EagleOpticsUK would have the same scope. It has a 78mm objective lens, eyepiece is 20 x 60x. I did have to buy a sturdier tripod and I opted for the straight angle to make it a bit easier for me to get a bead on my sight. My local audubon gives it high marks as well. It goes for $400. here so I'm not sure what that would be in your currency.

Well don't keep us in suspence, KC - which is the one you really really want ? Does the name start with an 'S' or an 'L' ?

Tony

Either/or would make me extremely happy, but, I decided I needed a simple basic scope to get my feet wet. Gosh this birding has become quite an expensive passion.B :) On my third and I'm sure not my last digie camera and my first scope.

....And why wasn't I informed about this new purchase, K.C? ;)
Sounds like a good buy.... equates to exactly £250 (didn't know the £ was doing so well) Glad you're enjoying a bird in the hand view...but you get that from your camera anyway ;)

Eagle Optics in the U.S. are a different bunch to our boys at Eagle Eye Opiczooms (b300 et al). I've heard very good things about Eagle Optics, especially as far as service to the customer (their 78mm ED sounds good). Not sure who makes their scopes, expect they are from the Far-East and rebadged for Eagle Optics.

There are some really top quality and good value optics coming from the Far-East at the moment, giving the Europeans a fright. I'm wondering if the scopes badged for the RSPB are the same as Eagle Optics... not many 78mm scopes around (and I'm sure they're not the Nikon 78mm Fieldscopes).
Regards,
Andy

I'm sorry Andy, :( my bad. Actually I was saving up for it and my kids got wind of it and surprised me with it for Christmas. Nice kids huh? Other than a bit of eye fatigue, which I think will lessen in time I am enjoying the feeling of looking thru the scope and feeling as though I could reach out and stroke the bird. New experience.
Actually watched a pair of woodies preening each other. That blew me away cause I didn't realize they did that and I felt like a bit of a voyeur. :) Did have to get a sturdier and taller tripod which makes for less pain in the neck area :) I think I will thoroughly enjoy using it although now it is becoming a bit of an ordeal carrying camera, scope, tripod etc. on my bird outings.

Hi K.C. If you can, try to keep both eyes open when looking through the scope...it's hard to get used to at first but it will save eye fatigue.
What's next from your kids? You got your blind, now a scope ;)
Best regards,
Andy

Andy, the blind and scope came at a dear price. I had to make a solemn promise to them (with fingers crossed behind my back) not to climb any more trees in my pursuit of birding B :)

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back