• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bob's Book of Art (1 Viewer)

Accipiter91

Hello and welcome to the pages of my drawing book! I decided that I would upload my drawings so I could take advantage of the great wealth of experience on this forum and better my work. I hope you enjoy and please feel free to critique!

This particular bird is an Eastern Wood-Peewee Contopus virens. I am not really satisfied with this bird but I can't quite place my finger on it...

Attachments

• WoodPewee.jpg
    WoodPewee.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 194
Looks fine by me, man! Glad to see yet another thread going (I really can't get enough of everyone's work). Post more soon!

I can't see why you're not sure about it, it's clean, well-observed and perfectly balanced. Perhaps it could do with being done in a darker pencil to make the bird stand out a little more? Lovely drawing. Looking forward to the next one.

Thanks everyone! I was thinking about going over it again to make the bird stand out more...I might try that after school and post the results. I probably will not post anymore new work because I am hopefully going on a trip to the mountains Wednesday! Hoping for several lifers too!

Great new thread Bob

And I love you drawing. Do you think using tinted paper would make a difference, hope you don't mind but I used a little computer jiggery pokery to give you an idea how much using tinted paper can improve the apperance of pencil sketches and drawings.

Matt

Attachments

• WoodPewee.jpg
    WoodPewee.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 159
No I do not mind! Thanks for the advice and the comment! Is tinted paper hard to find? Here is a Northern Flicker Colaptes auratus "bust" that I drew a couple months ago. I like doing these because I don't have to do the wings (my least favorite part) and I can show more detail!

Attachments

• Flicker.jpg
    Flicker.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 158
I have a question for you guys...how do you upload you work? Do you scan them or take pics with a digital camera? I use the latter method and I am not very impressed with the result. However, I have a hard bound book so it is hard to fit mine in the scanner...

Well...I am not going to the mountains so I had some time to draw...here is a profile of a Ruby-crowned Kinglet Regulus calendula is this the same bird as the Firecrest in Europe? I am trying to play around with my scanner so I am sorry that everything is not straight....

Attachments

• kinglet.jpg
    kinglet.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 145
Well...I have never tried doing a field sketch so here is my first attmept...actually it is a sketch from a photo of a Black-necked Stilt Himantopus mexicanus that I took last year at Ocakroke Inlet, NC. I think it shows too much detail...is this even considered a sketch!? Thanks!

Attachments

• stilt.jpg
    stilt.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 148
Last edited:
Bob, that stilt is wonderful, there's a lot of action and rhythm in it, which for me, is what bird art is about. It shows the right amount of detail, neither too much nor too little.

I would be looking at this stilt drawing as the directon to take - I think you are suggesting enough detail and the bird is very well drawn. Nice work Bob.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back