• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

West Donegal (1 Viewer)

Little Tern Conservation Project, Baltray
The 2012 project is complete and 24 chicks have fledged this year. It was a very tough year with losses to the tides and a fox, so all considered 24 was a good outcome.

im off to burtonport for a weeks boat fishing,but i wil be taking my camera and binoculars,any info would be great,
many thanks

Snowy Owl still on Arranmore last Monday, though it took a couple of hours to track it down. A first-winter Lapland Bunting was a nice find, but a pale looking Redpoll gave only frustratingly brief views. One that got away I suppose.

Attachments

• DSCN1683 (Large).JPG
    DSCN1683 (Large).JPG
    337.1 KB · Views: 70
  • DSCN1686 (Large).JPG
    DSCN1686 (Large).JPG
    319.3 KB · Views: 62
Richard Hunter and Chris Ingram were up there today and it was dead. Chris is on till tomorrow so he might turn up something. The next few days look great, it might take a couple of days of easterlies to get the birds to Tory.

I have the first 3 weeks in October free for birding, but I have not got one spare day next week!!:C

I hope a few more people take the plunge and go up over the weekend. Lancy has to fall some day and we are over due another Pechora Pipit........

Best of luck to everyone over the next few weeks.

Peter

Inishbofin has been quiet this week also. Anthony's been out there the whole time. No Laplands despite looking though he did have a "North-western" Redpoll.
Slyne Head gardens dead this morning, a few Willow Warblers.

Richard Hunter and Chris Ingram were up there today and it was dead. Chris is on till tomorrow so he might turn up something. The next few days look great, it might take a couple of days of easterlies to get the birds to Tory.

I have the first 3 weeks in October free for birding, but I have not got one spare day next week!!:C

I hope a few more people take the plunge and go up over the weekend. Lancy has to fall some day and we are over due another Pechora Pipit........

Best of luck to everyone over the next few weeks.

Peter

Problem is, it takes something special to put birds on Tory. Every year, when birds start hitting shetland, people start dreaming for Tory. But they are only dreams. The birds rarely materialise.

Owen

2012 Tory Bird Report

Please find attached the Tory Bird Report for 2012 and the 2011 report for good measure.

Attachments

• 2012 tory bird report PDF final version.pdf
    3.6 MB · Views: 281
  • 2011 tory bird report PDF.pdf
    873.5 KB · Views: 92
Great stuff Peter!

Robs field sketches are a nice touch. We need more local bird reports like this to be published in Ireland. Keep it up!

All the best,
Niall

Please find attached the Tory Bird Report for 2012 and the 2011 report for good measure.

I could have sworn there's been more than three records of Richard's Pipit on Tory? My first ever, anywhere, was a bird found by, I think, Killian Mullarney in late September 2001, while I was on the island...some slight compensation for dipping on Pechora Pipit. I seem to recall 2-3 being on the island the following day? My memory may be playing tricks, however...

I could have sworn there's been more than three records of Richard's Pipit on Tory? My first ever, anywhere, was a bird found by, I think, Killian Mullarney in late September 2001, while I was on the island...some slight compensation for dipping on Pechora Pipit. I seem to recall 2-3 being on the island the following day? My memory may be playing tricks, however...

Hi Harry,

My records are as follows (from K.Fahy and J.Hobbs)

Richard’s Pipit 1st w. 2001 23-Sep Milne, P. 2003. 49th Irish Bird Report, 2001. Irish Birds 7(2):233

Richard’s Pipit 2001 25-Sep 26-Sep 2 birds, with 1 remaining the following day Milne, P. 2003. 49th Irish Bird Report, 2001. Irish Birds 7(2):233

I was presuming that the 3 records referred to the same 2 birds, but on checking Irish Birds I see that they are considered to be 3 different birds.

They appear to have been the first tory records so the report should have read (3,1)

Thanks

Peter

ps Thanks everyone for the nice comments about the report!

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back