• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (10 Viewers)

Ahh.. thanks for the reply Pete. Shortly after posting I got a PM which gave me some good info of sites in the Clumber area so decided not to bother you. I have found your blog very interesting though and no doubt will bump into you birding one day

Regards
Clive

Hi all,

My parents have recently bought a small barn to do up and serve them as a country retreat for retirement in Stainforth, on the edge of the Yorkshire Dales NP. The first time I will have chance to go down is mid-March. Despite having only limited knowledge and experience of the area, mostly day walks around the Grassington/3 peaks area - I was really impressed by the sheer numbers (the curlew and oystercatcher roosts were incredible) and species diversity. Of course the scenery isn't too bad aswell!

If anyone could point me in the direction of any blogs or have suggestions for any must-see birding locations within this southern part of the Dales I'd be really grateful!

Presumably red grouse are in the area? Would I need to go further north to have a chance of black?

Poppleton Waxwings

Found 20 Waxwings near Poppleton late afternoon.

Attachments

• waxwing5.jpg
    waxwing5.jpg
    231.6 KB · Views: 62
  • Waxwing6.jpg
    Waxwing6.jpg
    265.9 KB · Views: 58
Hi Sean, Red Grouse are a bit tricky in that part of Craven as there isn't much in the way of heather. Pen-y-Ghent may be your best bet in the immediate vicinity. If you head east, beyond Skipton, Embsay and Barden Moors are your best bet. Or you could west into the Forest of Bowland.

Black Grouse are a different kettle of fish. Attempts at re-introduction around the Hawes area have been, apparently, fairly successful although I'm not aware of the location. The only reliable site that I am aware of is way up Arkengarthdale, beyond Reeth.

East of Settle along the A65 is Hellifield Flash. Well worth a look as open water bodies are few and far between in that part of the world and it's had a few good birds.

Hi all,

My parents have recently bought a small barn to do up and serve them as a country retreat for retirement in Stainforth, on the edge of the Yorkshire Dales NP. The first time I will have chance to go down is mid-March. Despite having only limited knowledge and experience of the area, mostly day walks around the Grassington/3 peaks area - I was really impressed by the sheer numbers (the curlew and oystercatcher roosts were incredible) and species diversity. Of course the scenery isn't too bad aswell!

If anyone could point me in the direction of any blogs or have suggestions for any must-see birding locations within this southern part of the Dales I'd be really grateful!

Presumably red grouse are in the area? Would I need to go further north to have a chance of black?

From grassington you are not far from Bolton abbey, definitely worth a look especially in spring. There are several threads about it in the Yorkshire section including a tyke meeting trip from last may.

Hi all,

Hia Sean,
I'm assuming you mean the Stainforth that's in Ribblesdale, 'cos if you are then an area to visit just East of there is Malham Cove where there's a nesting pair of Peregrines on the Cove for all to see and the scenery is second to none. The area around the river in Stainforth is good, there's Dipper, Pied Fly, Grey Wag and other birds as well as downstream watching the Salmon leap as they travel up thro' the falls in late summer early autumn.
As Ken said on your way there, along the A65 just thro' Hellifield, is the Flash on the right where some good birds are seen regularly.
Cheers Joe

Thanks Ken and Trystan - very helpful.

I will certainly be happy catching up with many of the more common upland birds as we don't get too many in South East London, or indeed my usual haunts along the Essex Thames estuary. Apparently dippers come almost into Stainforth village - always a treat for me.

PS what does tyke stand for?

Last edited:
Hia Sean,
I'm assuming you mean the Stainforth that's in Ribblesdale, 'cos if you are then an area to visit just East of there is Malham Cove where there's a nesting pair of Peregrines on the Cove for all to see and the scenery is second to none. The area around the river in Stainforth is good, there's Dipper, Pied Fly, Grey Wag and other birds as well as downstream watching the Salmon leap as they travel up thro' the falls in late summer early autumn.
As Ken said on your way there, along the A65 just thro' Hellifield, is the Flash on the right where some good birds are seen regularly.
Cheers Joe

Hi Joespy,

Thanks for the info. Yes the Stainforth in Ribblesdale. Is there another one? I'm afriad my geography of the area is poor (Mancunian in exile in London here).

I had heard that the beck is excellent - even my non-birding parents sussed out the dippers - and the garden feeders in the village produce nice mixed tit and finch flocks. Out of interest are bullfinch or possibly hawfinch possible in the area?

As I mentioned before I'm really looking forward to catching up with some birds that I havn't seen since my Peak District walks a fair few years back.

Cheers Sean

Best Tuesday lunch ever!!!!!

Best Tuesday lunch ever (unless you know any different!!!)

Had 100+ pintail also golden eye, pochard, scaup flock of 1000+ wood pigeon marsh harriers, Buzzards, Kestrel, Barn Owl, Goldcrest, Whoopers, Bewicks, skylarks, mipits, jay plus lots more ....

Details here...http://zingsldv.blogspot.co.uk/

Attachments

• ndc1-001.jpg
    ndc1-001.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 79
  • ff1.jpg
    ff1.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 71
  • mh1.jpg
    mh1.jpg
    434.2 KB · Views: 69
  • m2.jpg
    m2.jpg
    352.5 KB · Views: 53
As said your best bet or Black Grouse is above Reeth in Swaledale,there are one or two other schemes on the go including the Eastern side of the Dales.From Stainforth your nearest Red Grouse hot spot is probably the moors between Horton anf Littondale.

Thak You for offering pictures.

Sorry, it has been a while since I was here.
My relatives were James and Mary Garth from Low Row. (Smarber Chapel) was where they were married. Mary was a Whitfield and her Grandmother was a Grady. The men worked in the lead mines as their father before.
If you are able to get pictures or information please email to [email protected]
Thank You again,
Clayton Will

I think the name was coined during the Victorian era when the Yorkshiremen of the times said 'Reet tha soft basser's, we'll tek the tyke name, which thee gi'us as an insult and make an emblem of it'

Haha... that's great. Good name for your group!

PS. Even though I am a Lancastrian I will reserve choosing which definition fits best until I get chance to visit! (But thanks for the image of a rude papist, Yorkshire terrier type mongrel!)

while we are on the subject, when is the best time to go for the black grouse lek? I have the well known book with location just not sure when is best to go.

2 egyptian geese at wheldrake yesterday

while we are on the subject, when is the best time to go for the black grouse lek? I have the well known book with location just not sure when is best to go.

We have been in April for the last couple of years and got great views. I think that this particular species leks pretty much all year round, with the exception of when they are moulting in the summer, but I think the peak period is April and May.

Can any of the Swillington regulars comment on the condition of Fleet Lane at the moment? Is it passable in a normal family car?

We have been in April for the last couple of years and got great views. I think that this particular species leks pretty much all year round, with the exception of when they are moulting in the summer, but I think the peak period is April and May.

Thanks Owen

Best views I've had of the grouse lek have been in later February, things tend to die down a bit as you get later into March and April. Still birds lekking then but not as many.

Nice white nun at Pugneys today.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back