• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (79 Viewers)

Can any of the Swillington regulars comment on the condition of Fleet Lane at the moment? Is it passable in a normal family car?

I was down on Monday afternoon during the worst of it & it was passable then. As always though, watch out for the pot holes on the left hand side as you drive down fleet lane towards the hide.

Ldv

If you are coming over this weekend bring your damart its bloomin cold,
but the good news is there are stacks of birds....
Gargeney hide still closed due to floods.

more on my blog http://zingsldv.blogspot.co.uk/

Attachments

• ldv1.jpg
    ldv1.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 51
  • ldv7.jpg
    ldv7.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 71
I often see bird reports from Nosterfield. Wasn't able to go for last year's Crane though. Hope to get there sometime.

What is puzzling me at the moment is Marfield nature reserve near Masham. I visited years ago when I lived in Wensleydale. From memory the only thing of note was Little Ringed Plover but I was with a botanist at the time and it was summer.

Despite googling all sorts of searches I can't find any information other than a walk and a planning application. The latter suggests it is still an active quarry.

So my question is, does anyone know this site and where can I find some info?

Ldv

Can you believe this is the same scene 24 hours after my last post?

Attachments

• P1070588.JPG
    P1070588.JPG
    61.7 KB · Views: 60
  • ldv1.jpg
    ldv1.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
I often see bird reports from Nosterfield. Wasn't able to go for last year's Crane though. Hope to get there sometime.

What is puzzling me at the moment is Marfield nature reserve near Masham. I visited years ago when I lived in Wensleydale. From memory the only thing of note was Little Ringed Plover but I was with a botanist at the time and it was summer.

Despite googling all sorts of searches I can't find any information other than a walk and a planning application. The latter suggests it is still an active quarry.

So my question is, does anyone know this site and where can I find some info?
Ken,you'r right,Marfield is the old quarry on the Leyburn (north) side of Masham,2 entrances both "brown signed" and 2 or 3 basic hides.Even though it is only 9 miles from us at Ripon and in our local clubs' recording area we seldom visit the reserve,always found it either very quiet or over run with dog walkers on the public path through the area.Afraid we spend more time on the reserve and nearby quarry at Nosterfield.

Ldv

Had a real mixed flock today has anyone else ever had such an odd mixed bag before? do they do it to keep warm? safety?

Bullfinch, Chaffinch, Blue Tit, Reed Bunting, Greenfinch, Yellow Hammer ,Brambling, Great Tit, Dunnock,

More details here http://zingsldv.blogspot.co.uk/

Pyrrhula pyrrhula?

Attachments

• P1070585a.jpg
    P1070585a.jpg
    517.5 KB · Views: 101
2 Tundra Bean Geese through North Duffiled this morning. 2 drake Greater Scaup at Wheldrake Ings this afternoon and Knot at Heslington East the evening.

Details/pics etc here

Hi, at Rastrick this morning a pair of rooks have started building, tentatively, by stealing twigs from old nests. Earliest I have ever seen in the North of England and strange given weather up to yesterday!

Hi, at Rastrick this morning a pair of rooks have started building, tentatively, by stealing twigs from old nests. Earliest I have ever seen in the North of England and strange given weather up to yesterday!
Rooks were rebuilding at the old rookery on New Years Day here in Ripon,watched out of kitchen window,last weeks snow seems to have detered them as they have been missing since last Thursday.

Danes Dyke finches

Nice mixed flock yesterday ,maybe 250+.Mostly chaffinch/goldfinch/greenfinch but also linnets and 4-5 brambling.Nice confiding group sanderling on Filey beach.A peregrine scared the oiks/knot/redshank half to death in country park.

Attachments

• brambling9.jpg
    brambling9.jpg
    235.3 KB · Views: 60
  • brambling10.jpg
    brambling10.jpg
    230.8 KB · Views: 53
  • sanderling2.jpg
    sanderling2.jpg
    294.7 KB · Views: 56
Had a real mixed flock today has anyone else ever had such an odd mixed bag before? do they do it to keep warm? safety?

Bullfinch, Chaffinch, Blue Tit, Reed Bunting, Greenfinch, Yellow Hammer ,Brambling, Great Tit, Dunnock,

More details here http://zingsldv.blogspot.co.uk/

Pyrrhula pyrrhula?

Hia Zing,,, Mrs Bully for you for that....but here it is :-O

Cheers Joe

Attachments

• P1070585a[1].jpg
    P1070585a[1].jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 314
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back