• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

La Gomera (1 Viewer)

Larry Sweetland

Formerly 'Larry Wheatland'
My partner fancies La Gomera for a short break in early November. This is great cos I need Laurel Pigeon, but my question here is: are any of the hot seabirds possible around then from the ferry between Tenerife and La Gomera? Notably Bulwer's Petrel, Medeiran Stormie, and Baroloioliolo Shear? Or are they well outta town.

As an enthusiast for the neighbouring island of La Palma, where I have seen both endemic species of pigeons fairly easily on all 7 trips, I would recommend that. There is the added interest of the recent volcanic scenery, as well as red-billed choughs. Seawatching is a big minus point for La Palma in the winter, I must admit. I have spent hours staring out to sea, and the best that I ever managed was a gannet! I went on a dolphin watching trip and (bird-wise) I only saw yellow-legged gulls.

I took the ferry from Tenerife to La Gomera a few years back. I lost count of the number of Cory's Shearwaters I saw on both journeys. Precious little else. Both Pigeons were seen, but the low cloud is a problem......

Of course there is always a chance but instinct is no chance:-

http://www.wansteadbirder.com/2014_11_01_archive.html

"Los Christianos – San Sebastian La Gomera Ferry. Lovely, but a complete waste of 50 euros/41 gbp (return foot passenger), with a single Cory’s Shearwater seen on the outbound journey, and nothing at all on the way back. Do not bother at this time of year. Note that the ferry car park is extortionate, so try and park in town instead. Note also that you need your passport to book a ticket"

All the best

thanks guys. Anyone know specifically whether Bulwer's, Barolo, and Madeiran are even possible in November?

I made two ferry crossing in late December in 2012 (Fuerteventura-Gran Canaria-Tenerife) ...other than Yellow-legged Gulls, I saw a grand total of one pelagic bird ...but that was fortunately that was a very fine Madeiran Storm Petrel. So they are certainly in the general waters in winter, but overall seabirds are few and far between.

Larry, note that the different ferry companies operate different types of ferry - the sea-cat type need to be avoided as there is no chance of being on deck.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back