• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding in 2020, Coronavirus et al, an East European View (1 Viewer)

Jos Stratford

Eastern Exile
Staff member
United Kingdom
Inspired by the thread by 3ItalianBirders and fully expecting a lockdown in Lithuania, with its resultant severe restrictions of movement and thus birding, I have decided to document the evolution of the Coronavirus outbreak from the perspective of a birder living in Lithuania, eastern Europe.

INTRODUCTION

2020 had started in pretty stylish manner, an excellent trip to New Zealand continuing into New Year and a short trip to Israel in mid-February. However, clouds were already developing - even as I passed through Shanghai on route back from New Zealand on 11 January, media reports were growing by the day of a new Coronaviras spreading rapidly in Wuhan, a city I had never even heard of. Fast forward to the Israel trip, talk was of an impending pandemic, Israeli border officials were none too impressed with the Chinese entry stamps in my passport. Still, at that stage, it did seem a localized disease, hitting Asia badly, but leaving Europe largely unscathed.

Well, we all know that changed in fairly short space! Late to the party, Lithuania recorded it's first case on 28 February, a lady returning from Italy. Relative calm in the country, no measures or restrictions were put in place, bar increased surveillance at airports. Meanwhile, in a winter that never really happened in Lithuania, the first signs of springs were emerging, Cranes were back early, yodelling cries echoing across the meadows, skeins of White-fronted and Bean Geese started their annual spring fly-over, Skylarks appeared and filled the skies with welcome song.

On 10 March, two more cases, also returnees from Italy, a State of Emergency was declared. The government started to stir, another two cases on the 12th kicked them into action and then there was no stopping them! As cases rose by two or three a day, then six or seven each day, schools were closed for at least five weeks and announcements that further measures would follow. Pretty much an open secret that the government would order a shutdown as soon as any internal transmissions were reported.

STAGE ONE - RISE OF THE VIRUS IN LITHUANIA.

The early stages of the infection in Lithuania saw first restrictions on day-to-day life, it was time for difficult decisions. Inevitably, it seemed, Lithuania was following the path of other nations in Europe, perhaps three weeks behind, but heading for bad times nevertheless. As cases appeared, at least there was a silver lining to the month of March - it is the beginning of the spring migration season, birds arriving back in the country in growing numbers, plus early season butterflies take to the wing.

4-15 March, five new cases of Coronavirus, total now 12 - low by European standards, but Lithuania announces closure of borders, foreigners banned from entry, citizens and residents forbidden to leave the country. Feeling somewhat appropriate, a cold northerly wind whipped the country creating a winter we never had. On my land, Whooper Swans in a snowstorm, White-fronted Geese going over, incoming migrants battling on, Starlings, Lapwings and Wood Pigeons in the main, but also early White Wagtails. Skylarks singing, all's well on the land.

Fearing an Italian style lockdown, and a resultant loss of work and reason to stay in the city, I however was putting plans in place - to abandon the comfort of city life and its associated hot showers, WiFi and electricity. I was well aware that weeks or months confined to home in a city potentially engulfed by a virus would drive me bonkers, better I trade comfort for sanity and take my chances on my land.

So, an introduction to Jos's Quarantine Centre! Otherwise known as the simple cabins on my land:

Annex 1 - the Meadow Cabin. Completed just in time! First photo is early construction in September 2019, the second photo is when nearly finished in March 2020. Mod cons, not many: gas heater, gas ring, battery-powered lights, newly installed bed, no electricity. Stunning views over expanses of meadows, Pygmy Owl roosting in nestbox above, yodelling Cranes a guaranteed alarm call.

Attachments

• Cabin_Sept_lab_1.jpg
    Cabin_Sept_lab_1.jpg
    356.9 KB · Views: 134
  • Cabin_Mar_lab_1.jpg
    Cabin_Mar_lab_1.jpg
    205.7 KB · Views: 144
Annex 2 - the Forest Cabin.

I built this a number of years ago - rather nice, though a roof needing a little repair and occasional visits by mice. Mod cons, even less: gas heater, bed, also no electricity. Overlooks my feeding station, home to White-backed Woodpeckers et al, regular Black Woodpeckers just yonder, occasional visits by Red Squirrels, Badger sett 10 metres to the left.

Attachments

• Forest_Cabin_lab_2.jpg
    Forest_Cabin_lab_2.jpg
    368 KB · Views: 127
Last edited:
Well at least I can get some relaxing vicarious birding done reading this thread - and what a breath of fresh air, thank you!

Where to live during a Coronaviras lockdown?

City or Sticks? And just in case anyone is questioning my sanity for trading a fairly luxurious city flat for self-built cabins that lack just about every creature comfort, let's take a look at the criteria that swung my decision:

View from residences:

photo 1 - one block from Gedimino Prospectas, the mainstreet in the centre of Vilnius. Looks nicer on a sunny day, looks much nicer in spring and summer! Nice view for potentially many months?

photo 2 - 35 hectares of prime wildlife habitat, all my private property and thus not subject to lockdown and safe from Coronavorus. Amazing flood forest, regenerating scrub, traditional meadows. A pretty relaxing place in an otherwise stressful situation?

Attachments

• City_2.jpg
    City_2.jpg
    286 KB · Views: 126
  • Labanoras_lab_2.jpg
    Labanoras_lab_2.jpg
    194.8 KB · Views: 120
Last edited:
Birding highlights:

City: Tree Sparrows and regular Great Tits at a balcony feeder, occasional Marsh Tits and a Nuthatch. Come spring, Black Redstarts on rooftops, Swifts in the eaves, perhaps Pied Flycatchers in the trees.

Labanoras: with a mix of habitats, from flood forest to flower meadows, coupled with a location between major lake systems, my 35 hectares have proved exceptionally productive over the years, a grand total of 180 species. Amongst the highlights, breeding Cranes, breeding White Storks, visiting Black Storks, Pygmy Owl, breeding Grey Herons, Great White Egrets and Bitterns, regular Corncrakes, occasional Little Crakes, plus eight species of woodpecker and 17 species of raptors, including White-tailed and Lesser Spotted Eagles.

So, my question was really would I prefer my neighbour to be that in photo 1 or photo 2? But actualy a void question as Tree Sparrows also breed in the nests of the White Storks at Labanoras!

Attachments

• Tree_Sparrow_garden_2.jpg
    Tree_Sparrow_garden_2.jpg
    176 KB · Views: 74
  • Pygmy_Owl_lab_2.jpg
    Pygmy_Owl_lab_2.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 86
Well at least I can get some relaxing vicarious birding done reading this thread - and what a breath of fresh air, thank you!

I hope it brings a little enjoyment - it is with a bit of a heavy heart that I write this thread though, what is coming is clear. In the city, I feel the tension and negativity, on my land I am free.

Trial Run

So it was, my first nights in the cabin - and darn cold it was, a frosty minus five greeting me on the 15th. Still, in unbroken sunshine, assorted woodpeckers drumming, cronks of newly arrived Grey Herons heading back to the colony just off my land, plus the first Goldeneyes back on territory, more White-fronted and Bean Geese migrating over, one White-tailed Eagle hanging about. On the mammal front, six Roe Deer and a Fox ambling across the meadow

Most heartwarming though, my first butterfly of the year in Lithuania - despite temperatures of just 3 C, one brave Brimstone on the wing!

City Days

16 March. Six new cases of Coronavirus in the country, general feeling of unease in the country, government of Poland blocking the return of Lithuanians at their borders. Within the country however, no panic buying, food shops fully stocked, no shortages of anything. Lithuania introduces a NATIONWIDE QUARANTINE - all bars, restaurants, entertainment and non-food shops to close, companies to organise distance working, restrictions on public transport. No full lockdown as yet.

17-20 March. Back in the city, total chaos in most companies, all trying to scramble towards some solution to the new reality. 31 new cases of Coronavirus, the highest daily rates yet, total now 48. With a certain amount of irony, I was impressed to find the post office open to enable me to collect my new book about what I can see on the trip I can't go on - a planned trip to southern Spain on 28 March now nothing more than a fantasy. Municipality vehicles touring the city broadcasting messages in Lithuanian and English to get off the streets, little doubt a lockdown is not far away.

On the positive side, although I do lose quite a chunk of my work, a pleasing amount has moved online, I will survive. Nice quiet streets too, cheap pertol and, in increasing temperatures, two more Brimstones this day on a rough patch of land behind a now deserted shopping centre.

Attachments

• White-backed_Woodpecker_lab_10.jpg
    White-backed_Woodpecker_lab_10.jpg
    201 KB · Views: 92
  • White-tailed_Eagle_voke_2.jpg
    White-tailed_Eagle_voke_2.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 85
  • Brimstone_lt_1.jpg
    Brimstone_lt_1.jpg
    177.9 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:
First weekend view. Cabin is just visible as a dark blob against the tree line to the left of the picture.

Attachments

• Labanoras_1_-_March_2020_lab_b.jpg
    Labanoras_1_-_March_2020_lab_b.jpg
    190.7 KB · Views: 127
Aha! I was thinking only two days ago “ How is Jos going to top up the feeders if he’s locked down in Vilnius?”
Keep it coming lad!

21-22 March. Bitterns, Eagles and Rising Cases.

Virus taking hold in the country, a sharp rise in the number of cases – the number jumped to 69 by the end Friday, then rocketed to 129 this weekend. First domestic transmissions confirmed in recent days, plus several doctors and nurses infected, first death in the country - a lady that seems to have contracted the disease while in hospital. Contagion occurring within the Lithuanian military.

A crisp morning on the 21st at Labanoras, a deep booming echoing out from reeds, Bittern back from winter retreat! All's well with the world at that moment - always heartwarming to hear this beautiful sound, I never fail to feel honoured indeed to have them breeding on my land. So too the return of Great White Egrets, three settling on a floodpool in the afternoon - a newly colonising species in Lithuania, six pairs joined the Grey Heron colony last year, hoping for similar this season.

Chilly northerly winds curtailed significant bird migration across the weekend, but dribs and drabs did arrive, first Chaffinches et al, plus a very nice pair of Woodlarks, these immediately locating themselves in a nice patch of habitat and settling in with their spiralling display flight - has bred before, hopefully will this year. And then, just to top off the weekend, three superb adult White-tailed Eagles in display above my cabin.

The next days are critical in a Lithuanian context - the clear spread of domestic Corona cases, especially centering around a hospital in Ukmerge and involving both medical staff and patients, may prompt the government to order a full lockdown. I guess the tally of cases this week will tell the tale of how this crisis is going to unfold in this country.

That's great news re the Great Egrets.

Good luck Jos - stay safe lad.

First real signs of spring flowers this weekend too, all of these seen:

Attachments

• Violet_labanoras.jpg
    Violet_labanoras.jpg
    169.4 KB · Views: 40
  • yellow_flower_labanoras.jpg
    yellow_flower_labanoras.jpg
    173.8 KB · Views: 49
  • pink_flower_labanoras.jpg
    pink_flower_labanoras.jpg
    150.8 KB · Views: 54
Looking forward to birding vicariously:t:

Things are only just starting to move here in Blighty with the first serious arrivals on Portland Bill - a site i use as a barometer with species recorded there expected (technically) 3-5 days later. The cool winds meant that my average Wheatear arrival date of 18th March came and went although a male was recorded a few miles away.

Thankfully i did not commit any funds to my planned visit to Eilat as my accommodation arrangements were the usual ad hoc affair but i believe birders have lost both flight and hotel money as Israel did not cancel flights but imposed restrictions upon arrival. Likewise a week in Albania returning the second week via Naples and Verona:eek!: Flights now cancelled and monies returned - at the end of the day they are only holidays.

I will enjoy ‘visiting Vilnius vicariously virtually’:t:

Good birding -

Laurie -

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back