• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Can you make a Squirrel Baffle? (1 Viewer)

Chilt

Ive got a Tom Chambers feeding station and the poles are a big 38mm thick, ive looked for baffles to fit but no luck. Ive emailed the makers and just awaiting a reply.

So i put Vasaline on the pole and it seemed to be working but this moring watched the little bugger climb to the top and start destorying stuff haha. So ive re applied to vasaline so hopefully that will help for a bit but i dont want to have to keep re applying it all the time.

So i was wondering if theres a safe a good baffle i could make for the thick 38mm poles?

Any help would be great!

Thanks
Chilt

This was suggested by another forum member - use two metal hanging baskets (as per attached pic). I have used this in the past to stop larger birds eating all the food and it works well.

Attachments

• 1778_hanging%20basket%20bird%20haven_jpg-500x0.jpg
    1778_hanging%20basket%20bird%20haven_jpg-500x0.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 30
Ive got a Tom Chambers feeding station and the poles are a big 38mm thick, ive looked for baffles to fit but no luck. Ive emailed the makers and just awaiting a reply.

So i put Vasaline on the pole and it seemed to be working but this moring watched the little bugger climb to the top and start destorying stuff haha. So ive re applied to vasaline so hopefully that will help for a bit but i dont want to have to keep re applying it all the time.

So i was wondering if theres a safe a good baffle i could make for the thick 38mm poles?

Any help would be great!

Thanks
Chilt

I've always found it hard to make them do anything.......;)

Buy Monkey Nuts and feed the Squirrels - then they'll leave your feeders alone ;)

Well, the adults and non-pregnant/nursing females will. But the youngsters and pregnant/nursing females will sometimes go to the feeders too, but only once or twice a year during breeding season.

Oh, and put the Monkey Nuts in hard-to-reach places, and string a few together - then be entertained by the Squirrels (and the Jays, Crows, Magpies, and Wood Pigeons) that crack open the shells to get the kernels (apart from the Wood Pigeons, they swallow the whole Monkey Nut in one go).

Thanks for the suggestions guys! I’ve ended up buying a stainless steel mixing bowl, cutting a 40mm hole in it and will use it as a baffle, gunna install it maybe tomorrow with it resting on a hose grip, fingers crossed :)

Thanks
Chilt

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back