• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Crested & Thekla larks - Southern Portugal (1 Viewer)

saviornitho

Jérémy Savioz
Hello,

Mid-april, I spend a few days with some birdwatcher collegues in southern Portugal, mainly in the Castro Verde region. The habitat is mostly composed by large grassland and steppe-like areas, with rocky soils in some places and other types of habitats (olive-tree or cork oak plantations, vineyards, etc.)

Although Crested Lark is presumably far more common than Thekla lark, both species can occur is some areas and we struggled to ID most of the birds we came across...

I post here pictures of 5 individuals. Can you please help ID each of them (if possible) and give some details about the major criteria ?

Thanks a lot :)

Attachments

• Cochevis A.jpg
    Cochevis A.jpg
    144.7 KB · Views: 84
  • Cochevis B.jpg
    Cochevis B.jpg
    653.8 KB · Views: 86
  • Cochevis C.jpg
    Cochevis C.jpg
    169.1 KB · Views: 86
  • Cochevis D.jpg
    Cochevis D.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 79
  • Cochevis E.jpg
    Cochevis E.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 88
This should be of some use - it has been posted elsewhere it is not mine:t:

Laurie -

Attachments

• 134C5059-AD01-4C43-A990-E9F114BEFDBC.jpg
    134C5059-AD01-4C43-A990-E9F114BEFDBC.jpg
    228.6 KB · Views: 90
Apologies for hijacking the thread. Is this a Crested or Thekla? I think Crested, but open to correction!

Attachments

• DSC_3708_2.jpg
    DSC_3708_2.jpg
    375.5 KB · Views: 48
Hello,

Mid-april, I spend a few days with some birdwatcher collegues in southern Portugal, mainly in the Castro Verde region. The habitat is mostly composed by large grassland and steppe-like areas, with rocky soils in some places and other types of habitats (olive-tree or cork oak plantations, vineyards, etc.)

Although Crested Lark is presumably far more common than Thekla lark, both species can occur is some areas and we struggled to ID most of the birds we came across...

I post here pictures of 5 individuals. Can you please help ID each of them (if possible) and give some details about the major criteria ?

Thanks a lot :)

1. 2. 4. Crested Lark
3. 5 Thekla Lark
Can you see the difference in bill size between the shots of the birds. Also for me Theklas look to have a more rounded head. Which overall gives them a different shape.

This should be of some use - it has been posted elsewhere it is not mine:t:

Laurie -

No, it's mine & it's a good thing I'm not precious about it being posted without acknowledgment! Personally, and others differ on this, I find bill shape the best and most reliable characteristic.

Cheers John - you are a good egg:t:

I haven’t been over to Tarifa in Sept for a coupla years as the last 2 visits were noticeably quieter for raptors but a jaunt is planned next year so i shall start perusing your pages..........again;)

Laurie:t:

Cheers John - you are a good egg:t:

I haven’t been over to Tarifa in Sept for a coupla years as the last 2 visits were noticeably quieter for raptors but a jaunt is planned next year so i shall start perusing your pages..........again;)

Laurie:t:

I've just finished my latest revision - PM me with your email address & I bounce them over to you (although by the time you go I'll probably have revised them again at least once).

As it happens the version of my guide to Crested/Thekla Lark ID posted here is a fairly early attempt of something I've revised & redrafted several times since. I think the version I'm posting below is a little better (although ideally, I ought to redraw the Thekla's as I'm not very happy with it & feel it needs improvement).

To be honest I didn't think anyone would be interested in posting it except me but following BobbitWorm's suggestion I've added my name to this 'edition'.

Attachments

• AM 2019 Web.jpg
    AM 2019 Web.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 36
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back