• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swarovski NL 8x42 - First Impressions (1 Viewer)

I did.
To bring things in perspective; when the SF came out I felt that model slimmer and lighter compared to the SV. Both feel now like a "bulky brick" compared to the NL because of its pistol grip.
In color contrast, the closest that comes to the NL is the Noctivid IMHO. Black is pure black and the contrast is absurd high. Canip describes it as cool and I can agree with that.
On 10 meters distance we have the box of the Harpia stay on case which, as it turns out viewed through a bin, is made of white painted vertical waved carton with grey shadow sides caused by the indoor lights. The difference in contrast (the "waves" pop up) and difference in black/white color between the NL and all others is significant in favor for the NL.
The 12x NL is as steady as the 10x SF and with the head rest the view is more relaxed. This is something that is hard to explain and has to be experienced by each individual.

In short, before september 2020 the choice for the customer was between the SF, NV and ELSV in the top segment. This is still the case, but there is a new kid on the block which is now sitting on top of the hill.

Jan

Makes sense, thanks.

Canip and Jan: Thanks for the great first reports! Many of us are now very anxious to get our hands on the new NL!

Would you say that the field stop is clearly visible on the 10X and 12X? What about the Swaro claim that the edges seem to disappear?

Thank you again for your early hands on!

Stephanie

The head rest works! Period. No question about that. Personally I didn't use the eyecups anymore but just used the head rest. Much more comfy and steadier.
No worries about the 12x factor. It is steady as a rock with the head rest.

Uh-oh ! :eek!:

As if the rest of the world didn't already think that birders were some sort of weird nerdy types ...... how are they gonna react now that we'll all be walking around with forehead attachments !! :eek!:

Perhaps in time we'll all evolve into Unicorn type hybrids with a natural protrusion coming out of our foreheads ! :brains:

Chosun :gh:

I think you’ve just highlighted the difference between a need and a want Rob. I need a car for my job. I want an Ariel Nomad. I have a Skoda. ;)

Rich
Great analogy Rich!
I didn't know the Ariel Nomad (really ;).
But you will probably get more Miles from the Skoda :-O
I will try to check the NL Pure at the Swaro Truck in 2 weeks (if they have it).

It sound's like I better order the headrest. It will probably be helpful even on the NL 8x42. Thank's for the reviews. Very well done. I like the positive comment's on contrast because that is important to me. The NL has to be good to get Henry interested. it would take something special to pry those big 8x56 FL's out of his hand's!;)

Last edited:
Canip and Jan: Thanks for the great first reports! Many of us are now very anxious to get our hands on the new NL!

Would you say that the field stop is clearly visible on the 10X and 12X? What about the Swaro claim that the edges seem to disappear?

Thank you again for your early hands on!

Stephanie

Hi Stephanie,

Can't answer your field stop question, but regarding the "disappearance" of the edges the answer is quite simple. Beyond the FOV the light goes outB :).
No magic about that.

Jan

Last edited:
Are you going to trade your Zenray in for an NL now?:-O
The Zen-Ray is a classic and an appreciating asset, so it won't be traded in, but another custom acquisition sounds tempting .....

No mention of 'green ham' by any of the viewers sounds promising :-O

Looks like I may have to wangle something !

I'm not liking the look of that tiny dinky focuser, and I'd like it a faster ratio too. My views on the contrived hands forward position are also well known !

Perhaps if I can get a custom body made for something considerably less than 30 million !

....... I already have a spare kangaroo skin laying around that will make the perfect armour ! (If it's good enough for Marc Marquez - it's good enough for me ! ;) )

I will probably leave a final decision until I see the results of the DVD case resolution, and Rocky Mountain Goat CA tests though ........ :cat:

.... Would you say that the field stop is clearly visible on the 10X and 12X? What about the Swaro claim that the edges seem to disappear? ....

Hi Stephanie,

Can't answer your field stop question, but regarding the "disappearance" of the edges the answer is quite simple. After the FOV the light goes outB :).
No magic about that.

Jan (or Canip, or Gijs, or anyone else who has actually viewed through the NL) -- this has been a big question in my mind since the announcement, specs, and marketing spiel surfaced.

Simply put:
Q) When looking straight ahead - are you aware of the field stops in your peripheral vision ? (and if so, what is the nature of that peripheral view ? No cheating by sneaky little eye movements now - just staring straight ahead at the centre of the field)

I think you’ve just highlighted the difference between a need and a want Rob. I need a car for my job. I want an Ariel Nomad. I have a Skoda. ;)

Rich

I’ve ridden in an Ariel atom. It’s a rocket on wheels but I am more comfortable and would get less speeding fines in my Skoda :)

Canip, Gijs, Jan - thank you for your observations. It would appear the NL series are most impressive performers - which they will need to be, as their asking prices are correspondingly impressive.

Given that complaints about the price of alpha binoculars are commonplace here, it seems a pretty brave step to invest in the development and production of an "above-alpha" (in both performance and price) series, especially in the current economic climate. But I doubt anyone imagined the events of 2020 when the NL was being designed. I do hope there are enough buyers out there to justify that investment.

Very few of us will really need binoculars that good - I know I don't. But I am glad that there are examples of optical excellence out there that show what can be done in the field of hand-held optics.

The FOV is 7.6 and 6.5 degrees, respectively, so if you can‘t see the field stop, then you have to get your eyes closer to the eyelens. Swaro‘s claim that the edges „disappear“ is to be taken with a grain of marketing salt ....
Canip

Thanks to everyone for the quick review.

15 minutes is not a lot of time to absorb the whole of what one is seeing and feeling with new optics. Thanks for providing some thoughts on items that stood out to you all.

The EL SV line (even with the 8.5x42's decrease in close focus) remains at the high end in terms of both optics and build quality. They remain a very good set of binoculars for birding and hunting. Their price reduction puts that high optical and build quality within reach of more people.

On this forum the focus is on birding, but I've been wondering if the NL was created with hunters in mind - increased contrast and FOV, 8x, 10x, 12x maginifaction options, redistributed weighting and a forehead rest to help with one handed use, diopter slide that sounds like it can be used with one hand, 18mm eye relief.

Lots and lots of speculation flying around, but the NL sounds like a good replacement and update/upgrade for the older SLC line. With the changes Swarovski has introduced they could just as easily go in the 50/56mm direction for the hunting market (which does pay top dollar for equipment).

Again, thanks for the quick reviews.

Chris

Last edited:
Jan (or Canip, or Gijs, or anyone else who has actually viewed through the NL) -- this has been a big question in my mind since the announcement, specs, and marketing spiel surfaced.

Simply put:
Q) When looking straight ahead - are you aware of the field stops in your peripheral vision ? (and if so, what is the nature of that peripheral view ? No cheating by sneaky little eye movements now - just staring straight ahead at the centre of the field)

I can only talk about the 8x: Yes, you are aware of them (same as in other wide field binos such as the SF 8x42, for example).
Canip

Thank You very much for your reports Canip, Gijs and Jan.

But do we really need Binos that good?

My short answer: No, we don‘t.
No more than we „need“ a Porsche to drive from A to B. They still get sold ...

Canip

Last edited:
Thanks, Gijs and Jan, for letting us have your initial reviews of the NL.

„So far, so really good“, those who have had the NL in hand seem to say.

Hopefully more in-depth reviews will confirm these positive initial impressions.

And they come out in September - that‘s when wanted to have a look at the new SF ....

Canip

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back