• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swarovski NL 8x42 - First Impressions (2 Viewers)

When was the exchange rate so favorable? And surely you're not getting the US warranty with purchases from Europe?

It's fun to see SF32 and NL coming out, but despite the interest I've expressed previously in larger FOV, we're really very happy with the binos we have now (small Leicas and big SLCs) and expect to remain so even after eventually trying these. Some of that is just bonding, I'm sure.
The pound is worth less than the dollar. You can buy Swarovski and Leica binoculars for $500 to $800 less from Europe than the US I don't care about the warranty but Swarovski will still warranty them. https://www.ebay.com/usr/leica-store-lisse?_trksid=p2047675.l2559 moves a lot of Noctivids for around $2K new.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/LEICA-NOCT...159061&hash=item4462353342:g:cmUAAOSwinlcXXzx

Last edited:
The pound is worth less than the dollar. You can buy Swarovski and Leica binoculars for $500 to $800 less from Europe than the US I don't care about the warranty but Swarovski will still warranty them. https://www.ebay.com/usr/leica-store-lisse?_trksid=p2047675.l2559 moves a lot of Noctivids for around $2K new.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/LEICA-NOCT...159061&hash=item4462353342:g:cmUAAOSwinlcXXzx

If you look at the photo's of that shop, you'll see Leica cabinets worth 100,000,00 euro which they got from Leica/Transcontinenta (Leica distribution in The Netherlands). This says something how big they are with Leica.

Jan

For whatever reason we in the US can get Swarovskis from the UK and Leicas from the Netherlands for $500-700 less on Ebay than buying them in the states. Somebody told me it was the currency conversion. Maybe it is just the fact they can sell more over here.

Last edited:
For whatever reason we in the US can get Swarovskis from the UK and Leicas from the Netherlands for $500-700 less on Ebay than buying them in the states. Somebody told me it was the currency conversion. Maybe it is just the fact they can sell more over here.

Or you are buying stolen goods.

Half-joking. Half speculating

Lee

It might just be that you don't pay the VAT, which seems to be exactly in the range that you mentioned?

This is the case. The sellers might also sell a bit below MSRP at times, depending on what seller and what circumstances.

Since the USA has no optics industry there is no tax to get it into the country.
It seems that the USA is not a EU member, so VAT (21%) is not in order.
Due to the 10% discount the Dutch Birding Society gives to their members, every dealer is "forced" to do the same.
Ergo: 31% discount is "normal".

Jan

[email protected];4061262] Somebody told me it was the currency conversion. [/QUOTE]

The good old Yankee Greenback! Only time it was useful was in Kazakhstan many years ago, in a dodgy Almaty hotel, but that is not a story for BF.

So, no VAT charged as it is being exported to a non EU country eg USA. Correct? But does it also mean that import duty and declaration is not applicable as it is being delivered to an individual for their private and personal use and not sold on for profit or financial gain! Mmmm, that could be a problem if the IRS got wind of a person who did that on a regular basis and was subsequently audited!

Therefore it is a " grey import " that wont have the official USA warranty. What warranty is offered with these out of interest denco?

Last edited:
[email protected];4061262] Somebody told me it was the currency conversion.

i really don't worry about the warranties because I have probably only used them a couple times in 15 years. But I have found Swarovski will warranty binoculars purchased out of the US and so will Leica with their International Warranty.

"Leica provides full international warranty coverage for all its products as outlined in the warranty cards supplied with and specific to those products shipped to you from OpticsPlanet.com. Since we are an Authorized US Leica Dealer, all Leica Digital Cameras, Leica Binoculars, Leica Spotting Scopes, Leica Laser Rangefinders, and Leica 35mm Cameras come with full Leica Passport Warranty. Each Leica Optics product shipped from OpticsPlanet.com is supplied with an international warranty card that outlines the terms of the international warranty for that product.All Leica Digital Cameras, Leica Binoculars, Leica Spotting Scopes, Leica Laser Rangefinders, and Leica 35*mm Cameras sold by OpticsPlanet.com are officially imported into the U.S. by Leica USA, and therefore carry the USA Passport Protection Plan (for M and R Cameras and Lenses) or the USA Lifetime Sport Optics Protection Plan for optics covered under that plan. USA Passport-protected Leica products sold by Optics Planet enjoy additional coverage over and above the warranty coverage offered by the international, or Leica factory, warranty. For Leica Binoculars and Leica Spotting Scopes covered by the Lifetime Sport Optics Protection Plan, the coverage is, as the title of the plan states, for the lifetime of the user. Though the USA Passport Protection Plan is not available for products purchased from non-U.S. authorized dealers, any Leica agency worldwide will help you if you experience problems with your Leica product, as all Leica products are covered under the international warranty. Leica handles the repair or replacement of the product under the terms of the warranty is at its discretion, but the customer's needs are always the first priority. For your own protection, while traveling, carry your Leica warranty card or warranty registration (international or Leica USA Passport) so that you can present this verification to the agency in question should you experience any problems during the warranty period."

Importing via Jan in the NL

Four plus years ago, when the Swaro 8/10x56 SLCs could not be ordered in North America, I went through Jan at the House of Outdoors and bought an 8x56 and a 10x56 and had them shipped to me. Euro/dollar exchange rate was favorable to me, no VAT, no import duties, and an overall savings of around $500 each on the binos. Four day delivery, no issues whatsoever!
Downside? They have the 10 year European warranty and would need to be sent back to Austria for any warranty work.
Don’t know if it would be favorable to do it four years later, but it did work for me at that time. Further mention—best bino transaction ever made with a seller!:t:

Four plus years ago, when the Swaro 8/10x56 SLCs could not be ordered in North America, I went through Jan at the House of Outdoors and bought an 8x56 and a 10x56 and had them shipped to me. Euro/dollar exchange rate was favorable to me, no VAT, no import duties, and an overall savings of around $500 each on the binos. Four day delivery, no issues whatsoever!
Downside? They have the 10 year European warranty and would need to be sent back to Austria for any warranty work.
Don’t know if it would be favorable to do it four years later, but it did work for me at that time. Further mention—best bino transaction ever made with a seller!:t:
Have you used the warranty on the Swarovski? The way I look at it give me the $700.00 savings and IF I need the warranty I can deal with it. I would bet SONA would fix your binoculars for a small charge if needed.

Dennis,
I was trying to be specific about the warranty from your link to Leica Store - Lisse, based within the EU, not a US authorised dealer ( OpticsPlanet.com). Anyhow, we've digressed ( a pet dislike of mine ) from Swarovski NL first impressions.
Regards and continued enjoyment of your newest alphas,

Well so much for the seed that sprouted in my head regarding getting the new 10x42 or 12x42 NL's in this Country...nothing possibly till end of Oct to mid Nov. so in proper lingo that probably means Dec/Jan and to boot I just recently sold my one and only bin's on the word of my supplier that they were on route, what a kick in the teeth, had to implement Plan "B" new EL 10x42's here on monday, upside....guilted my supplier into what I think was a good deal $2495cdn ($1800us) just move forward (or sideways) I guess

Michael

Update to my predicament: was in fact able to find stock of one pair of NL12x42 w/FHR and...bear in mind that I am moving from 25 yr old model (factory refurbished 2yrs ago) SLC 10x42 WB habicht (formerly using EL SV 10x42)
PROS
1) I have to agree with most NL user's just holding these for the first time is so natural fitting, all my digits just seem to fall in perfect placement.
2) the view is certainly in the warmer spectrum than the Swaro colder/blue spectrum that I have become accustomed to over the yrs...they are more Leica like.
3) the dioptic setting has not yet moved...having the FHR there may help?
4) started using without FHR then installed it they will be staying on as it really helps with accurate eye placement and stability...thought it might be a gimmick but it really works
5) I was not sure about the slower focus but I am finding that I am not passing the focus point as much, more like the ability to ease up to to the focus point, plus the ribs on the wheel are more pronounced allowing for better grip, with SLC & EL SV slightly stiffer in one direction then the other, NL's seem to be equal in both directions.
6) THE SEAM, it was the first thing I looked at when they arrived...No ridges at ALL! completely smooth on all seams.
CONS
1)regarding the GLARE ISSUE I for one have never paid much attention to this as it does not affect me, that being said you can force a slight glare in the bottom FOV if you move your view around in the direction of the sun..but who the hell wants look in the direction of the sun anyhow?
2) The edge to edge sharpness in these is impossible to know with these 12 power because as soon as you try to look to the extreme edge you have blk-out...but honestly I have never tried to do that before.. i have always looked in the center...I can see where it would be a problem with a scope, my STX 95 is edge to edge sharp
3) the eye cover I have a real problem with...it attaches only full on as there are 6 small nibs inside the cover that when attached firmly are slow to take off partly due to the soft eye-cup rubber and the nibs, don't know what to do about this as I don't want to trim off the nibs at this point? For now I have a old pair of SLC covers that fit loosely allowing for quick removal. I have removed the objective covers as I have on all previous Binos as these always get in the way of birding, NOTE when removing you have to really pull down firmly to remove
4) As noted in other reviews the bag is lousy for a $3800cdn purchase

That's all for now, will report further when we start counting and aging Golden Eagles at the viewing site as that is where I will really see how they preform as lots of the initial site of the eagles can be up to 5000' away
Michael

Last edited:
3600 cad seems like a steal....that’s about what an sf will cost you. I figured they would be over 4000 easy.

Edit - I did some checking and I am flabbergasted to see that the SF‘s are actually several hundred dollars more than the NL’s in Canada

Last edited:
People put emphasis on different properties based on what they personally prefer. Wide FOV is nice to have. For me, I put emphasis on the color presentation and this is why I always admire Leica binos. My Swaro CL has very pleasing colors too which are sort of subtle pastel-like. Out of all the binos I've owned I only remember being so pleased with the colors in my CL and Ultravid. They are very different, but both have very nice colors to me.
Currently, I have only the original CL 8x30 with its narrow-ish FOV by today's standards. I sold the FL 8x32 even though it has a wider FOV and the resolution and sharpness is better overall. So, I chose colors over those other aspects while you choose things that impress you such as wider FOV. Sounds like NL is just what you need right now with its super wide FOV and impressive image. I'd like to look through one someday perhaps just for fun. I don't have an interest in buying it though. I want to stick with small and light weight.

This is very interesting to me as I realize my feelings are exactly the same. For a while, sharp and wide though it is the FL 8x32 has left me a bit underwhelmed and it's entirely due to my colour preferences. Nothing wrong with it at all, but my preferences and pleasure are as yours, and it's reassuring to find someone else sees things the same way, as it's easy to think there's something wrong with my way of seeing! Sorry this is not to do with the thread title but while I'm here I'll agree with others that the new NL 8x42 that was handed to me for a five minute test drive out of doors felt very easy to hold; comfortable, perfectly balanced, and no sensation of weight at all. (I wasn't out to buy one and if it happens it won't be for quite a while.) I think judging from your comments to Dennis that you would like the colour rendering very much.

Best wishes,

Tom

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back