View Single Post
Old Saturday 18th May 2019, 10:13   #39
Original PaulE

Gannets Galore

Day 13 Friday the 10th of May

So instead of a boat trip and hundreds of Puffins we decide to head for Berneray, we are a bit deflated but head out determined to enjoy our last full day, at the causeway we watch Gannets diving for fish though I obviously fail to get the crucial just entering the water shot, although in my defence they were blooming quick and quite tricky with quite a few feints and aborted dives!!
After a brief stop at the Seal watchpoint we drove around around to East Beach, Little Terns are feeding but by the time we are out of the car they have moved on, Gannets are flying out at Sea impressive with the Mountains of Harris behind them , a few of the usual Waders on the beach the scenery is again spectacular especially the showers over the distant mountains.
We drive around to the Machair, walk out to the dunes, another stunning beach under blue skies, another load of Great Northern Divers just off shore, interesting watching a Great Black-backed Gull loitering waiting for the Divers to surface and trying to nick their catch, have seen other Gulls do this to Eiders before. There are a few Twite in the dunes and plenty Skylarks on the flat grass. Gannets fly by here as well, not the Puffinfest we were hoping the day would bring but still A lovely day to be out and about.
We head back to base to start packing and despite frequent visits to the bedroom window my Shortie doesn’t appear to say goodbye. ☹

A few pics at the link,a bit Gannet heavy but I always enjoy watching them fish!! the diver looks pretty smart in summer plumage and good light for a change.

https://onedrive.live.com/?id=6356FB...56FB2BA7828F28

Cheers