• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Repair advice needed (1 Viewer)

hawken 12

I am in need of some advice on where I might be able to have a repair on some rather inexpensive binos repaired other than the factory. These belong to my Father who is in his ninetys but still looking at birds. They are 8x32 Vanguard platinum series and I have contacted Vanguard about them, however they pretty much blew me off and said they were not worth messing with. I have offered to buy my Dad a new pair of his choice and he is not interested and would like these fixed if at all possible. Sentimental value I guess. He has had these maybe 7 or 8 years and they were in great shape until he took a fall with them. They are now out of collimation and the left eyepiece came off and there is dirt/grass on the lens. Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

I am in need of some advice on where I might be able to have a repair on some rather inexpensive binos repaired other than the factory. These belong to my Father who is in his ninetys but still looking at birds. They are 8x32 Vanguard platinum series and I have contacted Vanguard about them, however they pretty much blew me off and said they were not worth messing with. I have offered to buy my Dad a new pair of his choice and he is not interested and would like these fixed if at all possible. Sentimental value I guess. He has had these maybe 7 or 8 years and they were in great shape until he took a fall with them. They are now out of collimation and the left eyepiece came off and there is dirt/grass on the lens. Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.
Vanguard is correct in that it is not worth repairing a $100.00 pair of binoculars. The expense would not be worth it.

There are two binocular repair experts often referenced and they are on opposite sides of the continent. Nicholas Crista is one of them. Cory Suddarth is the other.
Expect to pay $80+ for the service.

Last edited:
Personally, if it would keep my 90's father happy, I'd be happy to spring for the repair. ;) Just be prepared for the repair to cost more than another binocular. You also need to be prepared for the eventuality that they cannot be repaired.

Frank gave you two good suggestions. If either say forget about it, then I'd take heed.

You might do a search for another one on ebay.

Personally, if it would keep my 90's father happy, I'd be happy to spring for the repair. ;) Just be prepared for the repair to cost more than another binocular. You also need to be prepared for the eventuality that they cannot be repaired.

Frank gave you two good suggestions. If either say forget about it, then I'd take heed.

You might do a search for another one on ebay.
I will bet they can't be repaired.

Thanks very much for your replies. I will definitely have them repaired if possible as I have spent money on far less worthy items in my life. Does anyone have a contact number for either of these places? Again, Thanks----- Jim

Thanks very much for your replies. I will definitely have them repaired if possible as I have spent money on far less worthy items in my life. Does anyone have a contact number for either of these places? Again, Thanks----- Jim

I must confess if they can't be repaired I would be sorely tempted to buy a new pair and tell Dad they have come back from the repairers as good as new with the eyecups, strap and armour all replaced.

Naughty I know but well intentioned...

Lee

I will bet they can't be repaired.

dennis,

The point to the post was that if it was my 90+ year old father involved, I'd try to do the repair, low effort, high reward if it helps keep dad happy.;)

However they very likely can't be fixed.

To the OP. Another observation about elderly fathers, sometimes as they start getting "up there" in age, they seem to get the idea they they aren't going to be around long enough to be worth it to get something new. My dad was like that and he would not spend a nickle on himself. He was actually quite pleased when Christmas or birthday showed up with something new. So in that sense I think Ceasar is maybe right, and you ought to spring a decent new pair on dad. He might take kindly to them, especially if they help him see better.

It they can be fixed? All the better in my opinion, sentimental reasons! That aside I would then venture into a newer model don't know what your looking for but, I would be willing to donate for the cause let me know, Bryce...

I'd go ahead and get a new or used replacement pair of binos and tell him they are loaners until the others are returned from the factory.

Sometimes factory repairs can take months (wink-wink) and if he keeps asking about them tell him the factory is trying to find an old part that is no longer in production and it may take a few more months.

Eventually you could just tell him the factory has decided they can't be fixed and that he could keep the loaners instead.

Yes, by all means send them in to either of those repair shops with a note explaining why you would like them repaired if possible. It would be money well spent even if the repair cost more than the replacement.

dennis,

The point to the post was that if it was my 90+ year old father involved, I'd try to do the repair, low effort, high reward if it helps keep dad happy.;)

However they very likely can't be fixed.

To the OP. Another observation about elderly fathers, sometimes as they start getting "up there" in age, they seem to get the idea they they aren't going to be around long enough to be worth it to get something new. My dad was like that and he would not spend a nickle on himself. He was actually quite pleased when Christmas or birthday showed up with something new. So in that sense I think Ceasar is maybe right, and you ought to spring a decent new pair on dad. He might take kindly to them, especially if they help him see better.

Lovely sentiment Steve.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back