• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Audubon HR/5 diopter adjustment (1 Viewer)

Good question. I'm not aware of any such catalog specs. on Swift products, or the diopter adjustment ranges either.

Sorry,
Ed

As I recall the one I had, the diopter was only marked with a zero and arrows indicating plus and minus directions, no numbers in the dial to give any indication of how many diopters movement there were.

As I recall the one I had, the diopter was only marked with a zero and arrows indicating plus and minus directions, no numbers in the dial to give any indication of how many diopters movement there were.

Thanks. The reason I asked was that I could not get infinity focus with a 1985 serial number 804R without my spectacles. I wear approximately -4.5 for distance vision with some compensation for axis and cylindrical power.

I don't know what kind of competent repair facilities you can access from where you are. It is a relatively simple matter to adjust focus. I do not know how much the focus can be adjusted for your use, but be aware that the close focus function will be altered dramatically, like maybe to a close focus of 50-60 feet.

It is doable on my older Audubon 1c, but I never did anything with the HR/5.

I guess all of this depends on how much you want the binocular.

I don't know what kind of competent repair facilities you can access from where you are. It is a relatively simple matter to adjust focus. I do not know how much the focus can be adjusted for your use, but be aware that the close focus function will be altered dramatically, like maybe to a close focus of 50-60 feet.

It is doable on my older Audubon 1c, but I never did anything with the HR/5.

I guess all of this depends on how much you want the binocular.

At present the glasses are in the US awaiting the conenience of Nicolas Crista. A close focus of 50-60 feet is much too far away, so I will just leave the glasses alone. At present, the close focus seems to be between 10-14 feet which is pretty good for a porro..

Chhayanat

Last edited:
At present the glasses are in the US awaiting the conenience of Nicolas Crista. A close focus of 50-60 feet is much too far away, so I will just leave the glasses alone. At present, the close focus seems to be between 10-14 feet which is pretty good for a porro..

Chhayanat

Make sure Nicolas clearly understands what you are looking for with regard to focus setting. He initially set my 804R's to just reach infinity. (And oh, what a spectacular view after he worked them over.) But I had to send them back so that they would focus a little past infinity to ensure my myopic eyes would be able to focus them at infinity - without eyeglasses or contacts. I hope that makes sense!

Howard

Make sure Nicolas clearly understands what you are looking for with regard to focus setting. He initially set my 804R's to just reach infinity. (And oh, what a spectacular view after he worked them over.) But I had to send them back so that they would focus a little past infinity to ensure my myopic eyes would be able to focus them at infinity - without eyeglasses or contacts. I hope that makes sense!

Howard

My friend who took the glasses to the US, is awaiting a response from Nicolas Crista because his website says that glasses are not to be sent without speaking with him first.

Your suggestions re. infinity focus make eminent sense. Unfortunately, I have astigmatism as well and am, therefore, precluded from using binoculars without spectacles. In fact the 1980s Carl Zeiss Jena brochures used to warn against users with "heavy ametropia" from using their binoculars without spectacles. Given the poor eye relief of their Jenoptems, one had frequently to ignore this warning, till increasing myopia and astigmatism made viewing without spectacles unprofitable.

Your suggestions re. infinity focus make eminent sense. Unfortunately, I have astigmatism as well and am, therefore, precluded from using binoculars without spectacles. In fact the 1980s Carl Zeiss Jena brochures used to warn against users with "heavy ametropia" from using their binoculars without spectacles. Given the poor eye relief of their Jenoptems, one had frequently to ignore this warning, till increasing myopia and astigmatism made viewing without spectacles unprofitable.

Since you must wear spectacles, then you should be able to see through the Audubons just fine at the far focus Nicolas will set them to.

Since you must wear spectacles, then you should be able to see through the Audubons just fine at the far focus Nicolas will set them to.
Let's see what Nicolas Crista has to say about the Audubons. I had asked my original question because I thought the far focus was a little too far away without spectacles. With spectacles, as you say, the far focus ought to be all right. Thanks.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back