• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Two Months of Lifers Down Under (1 Viewer)

Hi Hans, yes I did my friend and you did a super job on it.... and it's waiting in the wings to be used on the day I took that picture (the 17th), when we went back up the Austinville Valley.

Sorry, I should have explained that to you LOL

thanks for that Delia-we think that it is the most colourful bird we managed to show you.Had an inch of rain last week,but the dam is still dry and hardly any birds,beside our garden freeloaders.Wishing you a wonderful birding 2020.

Hans&Judy

Gosh! LOL.... you showed me loads and loads of beautiful birds Hans, I'd struggle to pick the most colourful one!

A few more species seen at the Lily Pond, though I'll start with an overall view of it.

An Australasian Grebe swam through some of the flowering lilies, made an attractive image I thought. The a Comb-crested Jacana trotted across them with those huge feet.

Eurasian Coot and Pacific Black Duck complete the set of my images, but also seen or heard there were an Australian Magpie, Australasian Swamphen and Noisy Miner.

Attachments

• BF Emerald Lakes, Lily Lagoon thread.jpg
    BF Emerald Lakes, Lily Lagoon thread.jpg
    285.2 KB · Views: 89
  • BF Australasian Grebe thread.jpg
    BF Australasian Grebe thread.jpg
    200.1 KB · Views: 92
  • BF Comb-crested Jacana thread.jpg
    BF Comb-crested Jacana thread.jpg
    196.3 KB · Views: 130
  • BF Eurasian Coot thread.jpg
    BF Eurasian Coot thread.jpg
    271.9 KB · Views: 95
  • BF Pacific Black Duck thread.jpg
    BF Pacific Black Duck thread.jpg
    230.5 KB · Views: 91
Just back after my Christmas break away from t'web and pages of lovely photos to go through. You have had the most amazing trip so far Delia. Your report just gets better and better

Why thank you Keith.

I hope you had a wonderful time with the family and got the pressies you wanted.

Golf Course Lake

We then crossed to the other side of the road and walked along a path beside another lake with a golf course on the other side.

A lot of birds around here too.

Most on the other side of course LOL, so we'll start with a Dusky Moorhen, then a Great Egret with a couple of Wandering Whistling Ducks at his feet. Australasian Darter, Swamphen and Ibis all more-or-less in the same place.

Attachments

• BF Dusky Moorhen thread.jpg
    BF Dusky Moorhen thread.jpg
    346.9 KB · Views: 91
  • BF Great Egret, Hardhead thread.jpg
    BF Great Egret, Hardhead thread.jpg
    477.5 KB · Views: 135
  • BF Australasian Darter.jpg
    BF Australasian Darter.jpg
    423.3 KB · Views: 112
  • BF Australian Swamphen thread.jpg
    BF Australian Swamphen thread.jpg
    365.8 KB · Views: 95
  • BF Australian Ibis thread.jpg
    BF Australian Ibis thread.jpg
    472.6 KB · Views: 90
Love the male Darter Delia, showing off all its finery, lovely photos all, you are doing so well...........thanks for sharing!

It's funny lighting, but pretty sure the ducks in the egret pic are Wandering Whistling Ducks. Great stuff Delia, looking forward to more :t:

Grrr.... thanks Larry... I kept looking and looking at them to see if they were. There were Hardhead around, and I had a picture of the wanderers with the bums up in the water; thought these were wanderers, then went with Hardhead.

Just confused myself, didn't I. Thanks lad. I'll make the changes.

An Australian Swamphen walked off towards the fairway, while a dozy Australian Pelican never moved.

At the entrance to the lake there was a beautiful female Australian Figbird sitting up in a tree.

Then it was a case of waiting for the main event... and eventually they started coming... Fruit Bats came from further up the Golf Course Lake than we had walked, and flew across the road.

We stood and watched them coming for about half an hour until there was too little light for photos.

Also seen on and around the lake were Eurasian Coot, Pacific Black Duck, Australian Grebe, Hardhead and Grey Teal,

On the way back to the camp site, we stopped and had a very nice dinner at a Mexican Restaurant.

A great end to the day.

Attachments

• BF Australian Swamphen thread.jpg
    BF Australian Swamphen thread.jpg
    365.8 KB · Views: 93
  • BF Australian Pelican thread.jpg
    BF Australian Pelican thread.jpg
    211.3 KB · Views: 96
  • BF Australian Figbird thread.jpg
    BF Australian Figbird thread.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 103
  • BFFruit Bat flight thread.jpg
    BFFruit Bat flight thread.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 105
  • BF Fruit Bat 2 thread.jpg
    BF Fruit Bat 2 thread.jpg
    376.8 KB · Views: 99
Whale Watching

14 October 2019

A rather busy day ahead! We set off down to the Gold Coast Harbour to get on a boat for a whale watching trip. Gosh that day will live long in my mind, even though I'd seen Humpbacks a week or so before with Ken, this experience was quite different.

We had a welcome cup of coffee while waiting for the boat to come in. Right outside the window were a pair of Pied Oystercatchers; they actually had a young one below them.

In the distance was a long sand bar that was covered in birds: Australian Pied Cormorant, Little Pied Cormorant, Little Black Cormorant, Silver Gull. Further along was an Australian Pelican, with a couple of Great Crested Terns.

I had such a job deciding which of many images to show you of this lot LOL

The last picture is, of course, the tail of a diving Humpback Whale. More of which in the following posts. It, again, is going to prove difficult to decide what to leave out!!

Attachments

• BF Pied Oystercatcher thread.jpg
    BF Pied Oystercatcher thread.jpg
    208.5 KB · Views: 98
  • BF Assorted Cormorants Silver gull thread.jpg
    BF Assorted Cormorants Silver gull thread.jpg
    176.6 KB · Views: 93
  • BF Australian Pelican thread.jpg
    BF Australian Pelican thread.jpg
    190.2 KB · Views: 92
  • BF Silver Gull Flight thread.jpg
    BF Silver Gull Flight thread.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 104
  • BF Humpback tail thread.jpg
    BF Humpback tail thread.jpg
    168.7 KB · Views: 138
Sorry Delia didn't mean to re post my comment (still in awe of the Darter photo) but we had a black out with huge thunderstorm, 43 degrees with 52mph winds and trying to keep the water up to all the wildlife and the PC got stuck! So edited it :)
Love all of this keep, reading from the beginning, make a lovely travel book?
Thanks for sharing!

Last edited:
14 October 2019I had such a job decided which of many images to show you of this lot LOL

The last picture is, of course, the tail of a diving Humpback Whale. More of which in the following posts. It, again, is going to prove difficult to decide what to leave out!!

Put up as many as you like Delia! :t:

Cheers

John

Here you are John.... a few more whale images

We saw at least two lots of mother and calf, one calf was thought to be only weeks old, the other a couple of months (think that's right).

There were also one or two other adults moving through.

From memory this is the first mother with the younger calf.

And all the time we had this glorious view which I think must be South Stradbroke Island.

Attachments

• BF Humpback tail 1 thread.jpg
    BF Humpback tail 1 thread.jpg
    211.7 KB · Views: 118
  • BF Humpback Adult and calf thread.jpg
    BF Humpback Adult and calf thread.jpg
    257.7 KB · Views: 115
  • BF Humpback tail 2 thread.jpg
    BF Humpback tail 2 thread.jpg
    332.2 KB · Views: 106
  • BF Humpback Whale calf thread.jpg
    BF Humpback Whale calf thread.jpg
    286.4 KB · Views: 105
  • BF South Stradbroke Island beach thread.jpg
    BF South Stradbroke Island beach thread.jpg
    171.8 KB · Views: 105
Another set of whale pictures. This time ones with the older calf.

Apparently, the mother has to teach the youngster how to use it's tail, which must become strong before they set off for Antarctica, otherwise he will not survive the journey.

However, she had a complication with, it seems, a young rogue male wanting her attention. In order to keep her calf safe, she had to position herself between her calf and the male. The male could damage the calf even by letting his barnacle covered body scratch the bairn.

So the first picture shows the three of them with the mother in the middle. The next two show the calf leaping and the huge splash it made on landing.

The last two are the male trying to impress the female.

Attachments

• BF Humpback female, juvenile and rogue male thread.jpg
    BF Humpback female, juvenile and rogue male thread.jpg
    270.5 KB · Views: 105
  • Humpback breaching juvenile thread.jpg
    Humpback breaching juvenile thread.jpg
    320 KB · Views: 112
  • BF Humpback juvenile splash thread.jpg
    BF Humpback juvenile splash thread.jpg
    320.2 KB · Views: 105
  • BF Humpback young rogue male thread.jpg
    BF Humpback young rogue male thread.jpg
    222.6 KB · Views: 98
  • BF Humpback young rogue male 1 thread.jpg
    BF Humpback young rogue male 1 thread.jpg
    264.1 KB · Views: 107
Sadly the last of the images showing the whales.

1: I believe this to be the calf
2: The young male's tail after a dive
3: The male was really showing off to the female and did a number of dives one after the other
4: The male after another dive
5: The mother and calf had come really close to the boat

The captain thought we'd been with them long enough and wanted to leave them in peace now

Attachments

• BF Humbback calf close-up thread.jpg
    BF Humbback calf close-up thread.jpg
    206.4 KB · Views: 21
  • BF Young male tail close-up thread.jpg
    BF Young male tail close-up thread.jpg
    248.5 KB · Views: 23
  • BF Male Humpback dive thread.jpg
    BF Male Humpback dive thread.jpg
    275.1 KB · Views: 13
  • BF Young male Humpback dive thread.jpg
    BF Young male Humpback dive thread.jpg
    258 KB · Views: 17
  • BF Female and calf close thread.jpg
    BF Female and calf close thread.jpg
    271.8 KB · Views: 20
It must have been a truly magic encounter. I can remember very well the excitement and the wide grins on our faces when we saw a single Humpback in Canada in 2016, so I can imagine how thrilling it must have been to see a group of them showing so well!

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back