• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nyjer seed (1 Viewer)

Cyclops

1 eyed tree hugging nature nut!
Nyjer seed feeder

I just put some in a feeder I have, first time I've put feeders in this garden apart from a fat ball feeder, and the first time I've bought Nyjer seed. It is seriously small. Anyway I was unsure where to site it. Its a small, square garden, all lawn bounded by a wooden fence. There's a wooden shed intersecting a part of the square on the right, at the front (compost bin behind the shed) The fat ball feeder is hanging on a side of the shed, but for the seed feeder I attached a screw to one of the fence panels and hung it there. Its not quite free hanging, though it can swing side to side and the fence isnt like a solid wall, there are gaps in the panels. I'm just not sure the birds will see it, but my options are limited. I would put a pole in the middle of the garden but that space is occupied by the clothes dryer.
Hopefully I'll get some birds in. I don't have a great deal of hope as there no mature trees nearby (in the middle of a new housing estate) and most of the gardens are fairly barren due to the strict housing association rules (no trees or shrubs allowed)
I also have a peanut feeder to put out, once I get some nuts.
Fingers crossed (I did see a Wren this morning on the water butt)

To show you what I'm up against

img_2014.jpg

img_2015.jpg

Ah we can't insert images into posts...

Last edited:
Hmm,
unless we have some really bad weather, I genuinely think you'll struggle to get birds here but I hope you do.

There has been a previous thread regarding the spelling of this particular seed, they are 'Niger' seeds, named after the country Niger in West Africa but some snowflakes have decided that this particular spelling is to similar to another word which is a racial slur, have they changed the name of the country too...... a clue, the answer is not yes.

Hmm,
unless we have some really bad weather, I genuinely think you'll struggle to get birds here but I hope you do.

There has been a previous thread regarding the spelling of this particular seed, they are 'Niger' seeds, named after the country Niger in West Africa but some snowflakes have decided that this particular spelling is to similar to another word which is a racial slur, have they changed the name of the country too...... a clue, the answer is not yes.

Well I'm just going by the name that's on the bag!

I would be inclined to check what greenery is allowed. what do they mean by shrubs? They seem to be swimming against the tide regarding encouraging birds. Gardening for wildlife is now trendy get some RSBP or Wildlife Trust literature to support your cause. Even supermarket car parks have small shrubs. Would anyone notice a small shrub?

I think the feeders are too close to the shed and fence. Would it be possible to get a couple of brackets such as the sort used for hanging baskets, and attach them to the shed/fence and then hang feeders from the brackets? I agree with Robert and check what kind of plants are allowed and make a fuss about providing for wild life and how it improves people's well being as well as being good for nature.

I think the feeders are too close to the shed and fence. Would it be possible to get a couple of brackets such as the sort used for hanging baskets, and attach them to the shed/fence and then hang feeders from the brackets? I agree with Robert and check what kind of plants are allowed and make a fuss about providing for wild life and how it improves people's well being as well as being good for nature.

Yes - I agree -- super easy for a mouse/rat to enjoy the free meal. That's what I was up against with my rapidly emptying niger feeder.

Some shrubbery/grenery wouldn't go amiss.

You could plant some ivy that seems to be popular with the birds, esp if you don't have the space or permission to grow trees!

Also -- I've found that the most popular seeds by far are the sunflower hearts -- which all the birds eat -- so you may have more success starting with sunflowers.

Yes - I agree -- super easy for a mouse/rat to enjoy the free meal. That's what I was up against with my rapidly emptying niger feeder.

Some shrubbery/grenery wouldn't go amiss.

You could plant some ivy that seems to be popular with the birds, esp if you don't have the space or permission to grow trees!

Also -- I've found that the most popular seeds by far are the sunflower hearts -- which all the birds eat -- so you may have more success starting with sunflowers.

Regular sweeping of spillage will prevent that.

Have you considered an arrangement of large, potted shrubs? Even if it only offers a bit of cover, it could encourage birds to feed.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back