• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

nocturnal bird (1 Viewer)

christinebal

helo my name is Christine I live in Bradford West Yorkshire, I have a bit of a problem I live in a house with a flat roof, and I keep getting woke up by something making a noise on my roof ,I was wondering if it could be some sort of nocturnal bird one with quite big feet.

Hi Christine and welcome on behalf of the Staff and Moderators

I'm sure you will enjoy it here - as to the possible bird... a Gull maybe? Try and remember to have a look at dusk and see what might be roosting on the roof.

D

bird?

helo my name is Christine I live in Bradford West Yorkshire, I have a bit of a problem I live in a house with a flat roof, and I keep getting woke up by something making a noise on my roof ,I was wondering if it could be some sort of nocturnal bird one with quite big feet.

Hi,

are you sure, it's a bird?
Maybe it must be a mart (or a big tomcat:cat:)
Without joking, I guess it could be an owl, especially a barn owl - but I don't think that other species of nocturnal birds prefer a flat place for resting.

Any other meaning?

Attila

Hi,

I guess it could be an owl, especially a barn owl - but I don't think that other species of nocturnal birds prefer a flat place for resting.

Any other meaning?

Attila

While certainly a possibility, Barn Owl resting on a roof in Bradford (which is quite an urban area) might be less likely than a Gull, as Delia suggests - Gulls do like any kind of roof and tend to be noisy at night and they tend to like our urban rooftops.

Welcome to BF, Christine :t:

Last edited:
While certainly a possibility, Barn Owl resting on a roof in Bradford (which is quite an urban area) might be less likely than a Gull, as Delia suggests - Gulls do like any kind of roof and tend to be noisy at night and they tend to like our urban rooftops.

Welcome to BF, Christine :t:

OK, I am living in the heart of the continent, far from the sea, so I got no much experiment with gulls:-C
Let's see, what will be the solution;)

We do have lots of gulls here and I was looking out of my window one cold snowy night about midnight and I saw a big white bird fly in front of the street light, it wasn't a gull the wings were much too wide. Where I live I look out onto lots of tall trees, it used to be all woodlands but a lot of trees have been replaced by houses.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back