• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What can i expect to see on West Coast Scotland (1 Viewer)

developer

I am heading up to Spean Bridge and Skye in September and wondered if we had any members from the area that could advise on the Birds of Prey that i might see in the area.

regards

Steve

I am heading up to Spean Bridge and Skye in September and wondered if we had any members from the area that could advise on the Birds of Prey that i might see in the area.

regards

Steve

Not from the area steve but there is no end to what you might see...by the sounds of it is it not a case of what you WANT to see.....namely GE and SE... ???? Not sure about Spean Bridge although i have past through there a thousand times...isle of skye is a different matter...depending on where you are staying and how much time you have got......plenty pairs of GE up there and SE too...............if your asking where to see them your on the wrong forum....send me a private e mail i may be able to help........mind you sometimes is not worth the hassle......goood luck anyway if you go.........

Not from the area steve but there is no end to what you might see...by the sounds of it is it not a case of what you WANT to see.....namely GE and SE... ???? Not sure about Spean Bridge although i have past through there a thousand times...isle of skye is a different matter...depending on where you are staying and how much time you have got......plenty pairs of GE up there and SE too...............if your asking where to see them your on the wrong forum....send me a private e mail i may be able to help........mind you sometimes is not worth the hassle......goood luck anyway if you go.........

Hi SA..

Thanks for the input its appreciated..

We are staying adjacent Loch Lochy for a couple of nights and had heard there were Osprey in the area. Then onto Skye for a couple of nights staying about 8 miles north west of Dunvegan where i had hoped we might possibly sight the Sea Eagle but who knows. Anything will be a bonus to be honest :t:

Steve

PS. Your inbox is full...

Last edited:
No worries. There's some great trip reports from Sandra et al which are always helpful to look at Steve as well. Gordon Hamlett's book is superb also.

www.skye-birds.com should also be worth a visit.

Have a great trip,

Rich

No worries. There's some great trip reports from Sandra et al which are always helpful to look at Steve as well. Gordon Hamlett's book is superb also.

www.skye-birds.com should also be worth a visit.

Have a great trip,

Rich

I've acquired a book - Skye Birds by Bob McMillan which you will see on the website. That's really useful. We're off to Skye for a week on 29th September before our annual pilgrimage to Speyside! It's years since we stayed on Skye so really looking forward to it. A pity we have to miss out Mull this year.

Sandra

Hi Steve. I'm not sure how to get to them directly but if you look at the Scotland forum and scan through you should be able to get a few. Perhaps others can provide direct links?

Rich

My personal list for Skye last september.

Sea Eagle, Golden Eagle, Peregrine, Merlin, Hen Harrier, Common Buzzard and Short Eared Owl.
Sea Eagle was over the Inner Sound, just to the right as you go into Skye itself over the bridge, Peregrine wheeling high over shortly after.

Simply put, if you go home without Gold and Sea on your list, its been either A) blooming foggy, or B) stair rods. Option C) Not looking... well lets not go there!

regards

Steve

Ospreys are beginning to leave the Highlands on their migration south, so keep your eyes open whenever you're near water. The ospreys will fly then fish and roost at intervals.
Have a look at Roy Dennis's website and you see that Beatrice has left for her winter in Southern Spain. She doesn't go to Africa!!
http://www.roydennis.org/animals/raptors/osprey/satellite-tracking/

Have a look at his entries for Golden Eagle too.

Have a wonderful time!

Thanks Rich...i was considering taking a boat trip but didn't really know where from..:t:

get yourself across to Mull and head to Grasspoint, great chance of both eagles there, Ospreys will be gone though.

Best chance of seeing a Goldie is after a long spell of rain, they will come out to hunt as dusk once the rain clears

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back