• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Loch Garten Ospreys (1 Viewer)

A CHAPLIN

Hi Everyone,

Just to let you know and thank Andrew Simpkins personally. He was burning the midnight oil last night. The diary has been updated and sent to HQ and with line intact it got through and can be read at:-

http://www.rspb.org.uk/reserves/guide/a/abernethyforest/diary/index.asp

Another kid on the block 8T (hope I have got that right or Red 8 I am typing this in a hurry before work.

Henry will win, he has before the Husband is back.

Ann

Things are getting crazy at Boat of Garden. Today I hear that Henry has chased off 8T and has destroyed at least 2 of the 3 eggs. It is now unlikey any chicks will be raised at this nest this year as it is extremely rare for Ospreys to lay a second clutch. Very sad how things have progressed but the wonder of nature is as much about events like this, as it is about the successful years we've seen at Abernethy.

I was at Loch Garten this morning. Henry destroyed the 3rd egg last night, but the staff are hoping it is not to late for EJ and Henry to try again. It was raining this morming and making it very difficult for henry to catch fish.

Diary has been updated again, seems that Henry has been mating with EJ so we still may get another clutch of eggs. Also they believe Henry may have been blown off- course and taken refuge on an oil rig, they believe that his got some oil on his feathers.

Just been looking at the webcam-can I see a new egg in the nest or is it just a lump of moss?
Fingers xed
Mary

Sorry daft question from an ignorant person. How soon after mating is an egg likely to be laid? As you all know I am Henry and EJ's biggest fan and just pray it is his or I know for sure it will go the way of the others. I just hope like everyone else they do raise a family this year but the important thing is HE is back, what a fighter, what strong genes to pass on to the next generation, even if we have to wait till next year but I don't think we will have to.

Well done Henry and EJ and thanks to all those looking after them

Your biggest fan
The Osprey Fanatic
Ann

A CHAPLIN said:
Sorry daft question from an ignorant person. How soon after mating is an egg likely to be laid? As you all know I am Henry and EJ's biggest fan and just pray it is his or I know for sure it will go the way of the others. I just hope like everyone else they do raise a family this year but the important thing is HE is back, what a fighter, what strong genes to pass on to the next generation, even if we have to wait till next year but I don't think we will have to.

Well done Henry and EJ and thanks to all those looking after them

Your biggest fan
The Osprey Fanatic
Ann
Is that an egg I see on the side of the nest??

I have not seen EJ since Saturday on the webcam. Has anyone else seen her at the nest ? With the other webcam out of action, I've seen nobody but maybe I've just been looking at the wrong times.

PS Saw the peregrine chicks on the other webcam, for the first time today though.

Went to the visitor centre yesterday (Monday)
Latest news is that YES EJ had laid another egg but Henry obviously does not believe it is his and has attempted to push it from the nest cup. It was still there on the edge at 1pm.
Red 8T is still around and even landed on the nest Monday morning. It seems he hasn't got the message. Maybe he's just teasing Henry!
Nothing more to add to what is in the current diary update. (Thursday)

Paul F

Last edited:
Diary has been updated again with info on the new egg.
Although the entry is dated Tuesday 3rd it seems that the events only cover up to some time Saturday.
EJ did return as did Henry (and 8T!)
When I left Monday Henry was perched in the camera tree waiting for drier weather and EJ had been away (presumably fishing) for around 90 mins.

Paul F

I find the saga of Henry and EJ fascinating, and I tune into the web cam a few times a day and look forward to the diary updates.
There is a pair of nesting osprey down the road from me about 10 minutes drive, and as far as I can tell, there is no real monitoring going on. I'm sure *someone* is monitoring the birds, but they are sure keeping it quiet, if so.
I've only seen mention of them once on the bird hotlines, only to report that they had returned this spring. The birds dont appear to be banded, there has been no mention of eggs, nothing to my knowledge. I wish I could follow their progress, like I can EJ and Henry.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back