• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ed's thread (2 Viewers)

I reckon the diver pic is a huge success. The water has been handled in a way that's totally unafraid of using colour and it works fantastically well. A lesson for all of us in that one Ed.

Mike

Agreed! Love it Ed. Superbly handled and true to life.

Will say nothing on the Hobby till finished apart from it looks like it will be a cracker!

One of the best things about being an artist is being able to record special moments like this in your own special way. Excellent painting.
Steve

Interesting day today- had to run the bust leg dog up to the vets in Norfolk and nipped to the coast whilst his anaesthetic was wearing off, where sketched a Yellow-browed Warbler in sallows- a true done-on-the-spot sketch. Not a masterpiece but I quite like the effects you get if you scan it in at 1200dpi and then crop it.

Then back home via Birdscapes gallery near Holt, where I was expecting the Threlfall exhibition to be highlight (5 pics already sold out of 12 so he seems pretty popular right now) but got rather side-tracked by a beautiful Bruce Pearson book. Exhibition coming up of his stuff at Laveham Wildlife Art Gallery this month too.

Attachments

• 600ybrow2 copy.jpg
    600ybrow2 copy.jpg
    255.9 KB · Views: 63
  • 600ybrow2 copy 2.jpg
    600ybrow2 copy 2.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 66
I share your enthusiasm for the 'blow-up'. I've always liked the way a multiple-enlargement photocopy (olden days!) can change and emphasise the qualities of really small and (seemingly) insignificant drawings. The crop of the warbler, for me, highlights the 'best bits' of the bird - that super super and the slighly miffed bill angle. Great work Ed.
Also - not surprised that John is selling so well - he's rather good, isn't he. But I'm intrigued about the Pearson book. I've only recently taken delivery of 'In a new light' (I know it's a couple of years old) so what's the new one?)

I share your enthusiasm for the 'blow-up'. I've always liked the way a multiple-enlargement photocopy (olden days!) can change and emphasise the qualities of really small and (seemingly) insignificant drawings. The crop of the warbler, for me, highlights the 'best bits' of the bird - that super super and the slighly miffed bill angle. Great work Ed.
Also - not surprised that John is selling so well - he's rather good, isn't he. But I'm intrigued about the Pearson book. I've only recently taken delivery of 'In a new light' (I know it's a couple of years old) so what's the new one?)

Sorry to raise your hopes re the Pearson book, not a new one. Until my little epiphany yesterday, I hadn't realised quite what treasure was within covers of "In a new light".

Then back home via Birdscapes gallery near Holt, where I was expecting the Threlfall exhibition to be highlight (5 pics already sold out of 12 so he seems pretty popular right now) but got rather side-tracked by a beautiful Bruce Pearson book. Exhibition coming up of his stuff at Laveham Wildlife Art Gallery this month too.
Just got the two gripes about this post -
1 - that the Birdscapes Gallery doesn't have an interactive website - I noticed this before and really, for an organisation that deals in images they ought to remedy this aspect.
2 - My gripe about 'In A New Light' is simple - I just wish it had twice as many pages. Beautiful work and a very real insight into the artist's life.

I don't know how you manage to do it but you make the viewing experience so real and genuine using such artistic expression, love this last little lot.

Hello all- what a fantastic amount of activity in the forum. If there was prize for variety, I think it would be ours just now..

I've got a little self-inflicted dilemna with this one- background is a freshly dug and filled scrape with the water just lifting some poplar leaves as it floods in. The plan was to stick a yellow and bluey-grey Grey Wagtail (which was the true first bird to visit) in at point "W" top right but now I'm thinking it would be subtler to put a you-don't-see-it-at-first- Woodcock in the same place. Undecided...

Attachments

• DSC_0027 copy.jpg
    DSC_0027 copy.jpg
    213.6 KB · Views: 63
  • w600DSC_0027.jpg
    w600DSC_0027.jpg
    213.6 KB · Views: 70
Oh Jeez - that's a BEAUTIFUL painting!! I think you could easily hide a grey wag, let alone a woodcock in that mesmeric water-and-leafscape. (Although I can just detect its presence in the second image!)

For what its worth Ed i think you should stick to the grey wagtail. It seems a more open natural setting for grey wag imo.I still think it would be a 'don't see it at first' grey wagtail with all the blues and yellow in this splendid painting. Nice work.
Steve

http://stevesbirding.blogspot.com/

Last edited:
Wow! That's one of my favourites of yours even before the bird goes in. My preference would be the waggy; Just the right colours and shapes.

Mike

I really can't wait to see this one finished, grey wag it has to be. Very exciting colours.

Away from my easel for a few days, so this one's going to have to wait. Shame, as I am quite keen on it. Slightly worried I am going to stuff it up with the bird, so as next step I mapped out a Grey Wag at work yesterday with the usual at-desk combo of highlighter pens and coffee. Should go out and sketch a real one of course.

Attachments

• headleftgreywag2 copy.jpg
    headleftgreywag2 copy.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 69
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back