• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (47 Viewers)

So far this year no birds have been seen. Bomb bays area is probably the best but it is variable each year. An early morning walk from village side to King Rudding Lane should prove successful for singing birds.

I want to visit Skipwith Common early next week to try and see Woodlark - I did try once in 2014 but got a 0. Any tips - what time to be there to hear them sing? What are the best places in the area to see them? Thanks in advance.

Hatfield Moor might be a better bet for Woodlark.

I wanted to go and see them to be honest. I do not mind visiting Hatfield or Thorne - never been to Thorne. In fact they are a better because I hope to go Blacktoft sands.

Yesterday as there was a bike race through Pontefract I took the day off work and went East.
Stopped off at Swinefleet to watch a dozen dotterel in a ploughed field - a great start to the day then onto Spurn.
Started off at Sammy's Point - wheatears, whitethroats and whimbrels and eventually a gropper that refused to come out to see us.
Kilnsea wetlands - was wet and empty - well there were some greylags and a canada goose and then a drake goosander dropped in
Parking at the Bluebell we walked the triangle and visited Canal Scrape hide. Lost count of the wheatears we saw and have since been informed that the obs counted 113 for the day. In the hide we were again confronted with almost no birds on the water and were about to leave when we got onto a reed warbler who did play ball and proved to be very showy indeed. Not often you get that.
Back to Sammys Point to try for the wood warbler that had been reported - no such luck although we think we may have been directed to the wrong place. Great tit and a further buzzing from the gropper ended the day for us.

I wanted to go and see them to be honest. I do not mind visiting Hatfield or Thorne - never been to Thorne. In fact they are a better because I hope to go Blacktoft sands.
Eight Hobbies in the air at the same time at Thorne yesterday and there is a very special harrier at Blacktoft so both sites worth a visit

Eight Hobbies in the air at the same time at Thorne yesterday and there is a very special harrier at Blacktoft so both sites worth a visit

That very special harrier wasn't there for the two and a half hours we were there on Saturday. Nice close views of Marsh Harriers though. Not much else.

Steve

So far this year no birds have been seen. Bomb bays area is probably the best but it is variable each year. An early morning walk from village side to King Rudding Lane should prove successful for singing birds.

I went on Tuesday and didn't see any. Managed 2 tree pipits but not a lot else though I wasn't feeling well and couldn't muster any enthusiasm.

I went to the Strid yesterday and there was no sign of wood warblers. Despite hearing redstarts I didn't manage to lay eyes on any of them. One positive was a male ring ouzel just at the start of Barden Fell bordering the Valley of desolation.

Wood warblers seem to be in short supply this year around the Strid. Any spot flys there?
Redstart were pretty showy the other week especially as you enter the wood from the upstream on the Storiths side of the river.
Rouzels are fairly regular at top end of Valley of Desolation, sit quietly and you are very soon rewarded.

The problem was that there are a lot of leaves in the trees now and got tired of craning my neck looking upwards. My usual patience hasn't present this week due to feeling quite rotten.
Didn't see any spotted flycatchers but then again didn't see a single one anywhere last year. Shame because I really do like them.

Redstarts have been quite reliable in the area that Keith mentioned and plenty of Pied Flys in the next section. We haven't heard any Wood Warblers yet this year nor have we seen any Spotted Flys.

Cuckoo(s) about and pretty reliable on Barden Moor at the moment and there are at least two pairs of Ring Ouzels as well. Saw a couple of Common Redpolls up there for the first time this morning.

Graeme

Spotted Flycatcher in Strid Woods this morning. Seen going in to one of the nest boxes near the stone hut. No Redstarts today, but a fair few Pied Flycatchers.

Last edited:
The Leeds Birdfair

The Leeds Birdfair is just a month away (Saturday 23rd June at Rodley Nature Reserve 9:30-4) – If you are able to help us publicise the event I’ve attached a poster to either print or pass on to your members/customers/birding friends

Here is a list of this year’s exhibitors

Rodley Nature Reserve Trust
Start Birding
Leeds Swifts
RSPB
Yorkshire Wildlife Trust
Swillington Ings Bird Group
Spurn Bird Observatory
Leeds Parks and Green Space Forum
Calverley Beekeepers
Second Nature Books
In Focus
Bird Holidays
Andrew Ramsey Photography
Yorkshire Dragonfly Group
British Trust for Ornithology
TCV Hollybush
Yorkshire Naturalists Union
Stuart Bamford Wildlife Art and Photography
Canal and Rivers Trust.

Best wishes and I hope to see you there

Linda

Attachments

• birdfair 18 poster.pdf
    624.5 KB · Views: 41
Hi All,
Looking for some recommendations of places for birds within walking distance of Holmfirth. Am there for a couple of days so hoping to do some walking and birding. Little Owl, Dipper, Grey Wagtail, Redstart, Ring Ousel, Pied Flycatcher would all be lovely if anyone knows of areas close by that I could visit.

Thanks in advance
Rachel

Hi Rachel,

I'd recommend checking http://www.huddersfieldbirdwatchersclub.org.uk/cgi-bin/4fifDD9412d/YaBB.pl?board=sightings, great source of info.

I live in Marsden, which is about eight miles from Holmfirth. Here, you have a great chance of Dipper and Grey Wagtail by walking along the river through the village. Llttle Owls are possible around this village too.

Thank you Lazerock,

That's brilliant, I'll have a good look through your link. It looks full of the info I'm looking for.

Wood Warbler finally seen in Strid Wood. I think that there are a pair, I had excellent views of the male this morning as did others. I understand that they have been around for about a week.:t:

Thinking of going Bempton some point over next week. I am travelling from Lancashire and want to stop off at another reserve before arriving at Bempton at lunch. What can people recommend - not including the St Aidans, Fairburn, North Cave, Blacktoft ....

Thinking of going Bempton some point over next week. I am travelling from Lancashire and want to stop off at another reserve before arriving at Bempton at lunch. What can people recommend - not including the St Aidans, Fairburn, North Cave, Blacktoft ....

Really depends on the route you are taking - the ones you mention are all within easy distance of M62.
If you are coming over and heading for the A64 then maybe Askham Bog just west of York.

Staveley close to Knaresborough and Nosterfield out by Ripon are good but hardly on your route
Same goes for Old Moor and Potteric Carr which are down by Doncaster.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back