• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Is this over sharpened ? (1 Viewer)

Roy C

Occasional bird snapper
This looks ok on my CRT (calibrated) monitor but on my Laptop it looks well over sharpened. Does it look over sharpened to you - if so what type of monitor are you using (CRT or LCD)?.

Attachments

• gtit1.jpg
    gtit1.jpg
    174.2 KB · Views: 601
Looks ok to me ,it could be just about at top of sharpening level but i wouldent say its over shaprend, i'm using a LCD,i sometimes think the crystals make the image look diffrent to a CRT but thats just my opinion.

i'm using a LCD,i sometimes think the crystals make the image look different to a CRT but thats just my opinion.
I think you are right Phil which is why I was asking the question - it looks awful on my laptop but because my CRT is getting on a bit now I was wondering if it was on its way out.

Looks good to me too Roy.
When my monitor blew a while back I actually went out to buy a CRT monitor.I cant get used to these new fangled LCD thingamabobbies!

Hi Roy,

looks great on the CRT. Over sharpened on the laptop's LCD, but then everything looks crappy on this laptop.

Great shot!

Takis

Last edited:
This looks ok on my CRT (calibrated) monitor but on my Laptop it looks well over sharpened. Does it look over sharpened to you - if so what type of monitor are you using (CRT or LCD)?.

I am no photographer,I am a "looker" it appears to me perfect and if I took a photo like that it would be one hell of a "wow" factor.Incidentally my monitor is an LCD.

POP

It looks a little contrasty on my LCD monitor, but I don't see any problem with over-sharpening. Nice picture.

Last edited:
Oversharpened on my calibrated LCD. It kinda looks (and no offence meant, Roy) like it's been "robustly" sharpened to make up for detail lost by NR - there's a kind of "smeared" look to it, where you might expect a close-up shot like this to show fine feather detail.

I've attached a lightly sharpened 100% crop of a Titchwell robin taken with the 100-400mm (and TC) on the 30D to show what looks "natural" to my eyes. You can see a difference in the feather detail.

Again, no offence, Roy - I'm just fussy about things looking natural and not heavily processed.

Attachments

• 100 crop cs3.jpg
    100 crop cs3.jpg
    228.1 KB · Views: 295
Last edited:
Oversharpened on my calibrated LCD. It kinda looks (and no offence meant, Roy) like it's been "robustly" sharpened to make up for detail lost by NR.

And there's a kind of "smeared" look to it, where you might expect a close-up shot like this to show fine feather detail.

I've attached a lightly sharpened 100% crop of a Titchwell robin taken with the 100-400mm (and TC) on the 30D to show what looks "natural" to my eyes. You can see a difference in the feather detail.

Again, no offence, Roy - I'm just fussy about things looking natural and not heavily processed.
Certainly do not take offence Keith constructive criticism is always welcome. Interesting comments Though - just shows how we all view things differently. For info I now always sharpen before NR ( I am not 100% sure I even used NR on this image as I very often use the blur tool instead - not on the bird but on the surrounding area ).
My sharpening method is to create a duplicate layer and sharpen only the Luminosity channel before flattening - not sure if this give a more sharpened result or not but I like it because it does not globally sharpen)

Like I say, it is interesting how we view thing differently because I view the Robin shot as being soft but that it just me. I guess it would be boring if we all had the same views. ;););)

Like I say, it is interesting how we view thing differently because I view the Robin shot as being soft but that it just me. I guess it would be boring if we all had the same views. ;););)

Personally I think that the sharpening on Keith's images is just about spot on, it has a natural look. Personally I'd far rather see a slightly soft shot than an over sharpened one, for me it's closer to how I see the bird. A quick look through the gallery will show how different people like different levels of sharpening.

On my LCD laptop screen it looks a bit over sharpened. Sort of an icy look to the feathers.
Still, not to the point of disturbing.
Like I said at the beginning Peter on my Laptop it looks absolute Cr*p but it looks ok on my Calibrated CRT. Mind you everything looks dreadful on my laptop.

I have no doubt that LCD screens tend to give a brighter image than a CRT and consequently you see things that are not apparent on a CRT.

I dread the day when my CRT finally packs up and I have to get a LCD :-O

I'm just fussy about things looking natural and not heavily processed.

Roy, what I think has happened here, the sun has been a direct light source which is reflecting off the eye and feathers, by sharpening you have increased the highlight pixels. You almost don't need to do any, it's so sharp anyway.

Keith's right that it doesn't look natural, by blurring the eye reflection in PS it starts to looks correct. I think that you have a 'spot-on' image which contrary to normal processing needs you to adjust the 'other way'.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back