• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Griswold's 2013 List (1 Viewer)

ClarkWGriswold

Carpe Carpum
Supporter
Wales
Well I never thought I'd keep a list at all. However, I began thinking that I required that little extra push to get out and about more this year. I have no idea how many "ticks" I'll get and I have no intention to "twitch" anything. What number do people think is a realistic target? I work full-time and have two children under the age of five. Like alot of BF'ers I take my bins on the family holiday and catch an hour or two whenever I can. We have two weeks in Scotland at Easter-time which hopefully will help and my oldest fancies a trip to Skomer in June. I'll try and add a few snippets of info that some may find interesting along the way - any mammals, good places to stay, eat and drink I'll also mention.

Well here goes. To pinch, and alter slightly, an already stolen phrase from a fellow BF'er (FJ) -It's time to fire up the Zed :t:. Myself and the family spent a few hours in Penclacwydd today and I also spent a little time keeping an eye on the birds in and over the garden.

1. Robin
2. Great Tit
3. Blue Tit
4. Coal Tit
5. Long Tailed Tit
6. Jackdaw
7. Jay
8. Magpie
9. Carrion Crow
10 Chaffinch
11. Bullfinch
12. Greenfinch
13. Mallard
14. Tufted Duck
15. Coot
16. Moorhen
17. Gadwall
18. Widgeon
19. Northern Shoveller
20. Teal
21. Wood Pigeon
22. Collared Dove
23. Mute Swan
24. Whooper Swan
25. Greylag Goose
26. Canada Goose
27. Cormorant
28. Little Egret
29. Blackbird
30. Song Thrush
31. Redwing
32. Pochard
33. Common Buzzard
34. Snipe
35. Lapwing
36. House Sparrow
37. Dunnock
38. Shelduck
39. Herring Gull
40. Black Headed Gull

There was the usual Grey Squirrel on the bird table but no other mammals. May try to get to Kidwely to connect with the Otter again. The coffee in the Cafe was very nice but did not have a chance to sample the food. Obviously, being a WWT centre there were facilities for birders with disabilities and activities on hand for birders with children.

Favourite birds of the day were the Snipe. We had superb views of approx. 11 of them. A couple from Usk were also enjoying them. Best moment of the day however was following a Lamborghini Aventador on the journey down - on it's way to Pembrey Race Circuit perhaps?

If I've made any glaring mistakes or doubled up please feel free to chip in. Also, any tips would be much appreciatedB :)

Hope everyone has a great birding year,

Rich

Last edited:
41 Starling - the momentum is gathering;)

Hopefully a trip to Tregaron will add a couple more on the weekend.

Rich

Is it possible that the birds and my children know that I'm completing a list this year?3:)

Needless to say the trip to Tregaron had to be cancelled and a much shorter loop I like to do produced nothing like as many birds, let alone species.

43. Goldcrest
44. Raven

That's more like it - they were where they should be with one quite notable (for me) exception:t:

45 Brent Goose - one of my favourite species
46 Redshank
47 Oystercatcher
48 Long Tailed Duck - Burry Port -a first for Wales for me. I've only seen them in the Moray Firth before.
49 Rook

A big thanks to the birders present at Kidwely Quay this morning as I would never have got some of these with just my bins - beginning to think a scope is necessary if you go anywhere near an estuary

50 Goldeneye
51 Pintail
52 Golden Plover
53 Curlew
54 Greenshank
55 Grey Heron
56 Little Grebe
57 Great Crested Grebe
58 Spotted Redshank - lifer:king: Would never have recognised without assistance -- thx to the Essex lad
59 Rock Pipit
60 Red Kite - another of my faves
61 Kestrel
62 Red Breasted Merganser

A very enjoyable morning all in all. Also saw a Subaru SVX which I haven't seen on the road for years.

Rich

Last edited:
63. Dipper - Craig y Nos Country Park

Disappointingly, at all three sites I visited today there was evidence of some (not all) irresponsible dog owners. Burry Port, Kidwely Quay and Craig y Nos Country Park:-C It's pathetic that a few really let down the majority in my opinion. Even more annoying was McDonalds bags on the lane leading up to my house - does it really take too much effort to put it in the bin?:C

64. Mistle Thrush
65. Fieldfare

Interesting day today. Had in excess of 100 red kite (rough guesstimate) though this did include driving past the kite feeding station at Llanddeusant.

Stopped in Llandovery for lunch with the children. For a small town there really is a decent selection of places to eat at a reasonable price. Fish, chips and mushy peas was £5.95 at the Three Horseshoes in the middle of Llandovery. Anybody looking to stay in the area whether it be for birding, biking, cycling, walking etc. could do a lot worse.

Rich

Hi Rich, I reckon 200 is a good target (you can reach 300 without seeing any rarities and you can see about 160 in most local areas of 10 mile radius). Good luck and have fun - that's the most important bit!

Cheers

John

Cheers John. Can't believe I've got long tailed duck before a Wren!

I've got the day off this coming Wednesday so I'm hoping to take my old Zed for a spin upto Tregaron weather permitting. I was up there at the same time last year. Icy roads around Llyn Brianne and rwd do not make for a relaxing drive;) Hopefully it'll add a couple more common species - lesser redpoll, treecreeper etc.

All the best with your mammal list.

Rich

A decent day today. The garden was teeming with birds. My 5 year old particularly like the Jays. All of a sudden it went quiet which leads to ......

66. Sparrow hawk
67. Peregrine (Penclacwydd)
68. Linnet (Penclacwydd)
69. Reed Bunting (Penclacwydd)
70 Lesser Black Backed Gull (Penclacwydd)

Rich

Limped from Mumbles to Rotherslade today. The planned trip to Tregaron had to be cancelled again!

71. Shag
72. Rock Dove
73. Stonechat

Had a coffee at Castellammare afterwards which was very decent. They also do bogof on pizzas midweek so we all ate for not much more than a £15 including drinks. Met a few people enjoying the coastal paths with their dogs which was nice.

Rich

Last edited:
Had a good hour at Kenfig Pool today. Only a couple of new species but met a birder who is also keeping a year list for the first time. Was also given a couple of recommendations for new places to have a look.

As usual I was a couple of hours late for the Bittern - typical ain't it! Would have been a lifer as well.

74. Kingfisher
75. Wren (at last!)
76. Great Spotted Woodpecker

Rich

Just come back from a quick walk around Rhossili. By Christ it was blustery down there. Several Jackdaws were extremely acrobatic doing great impressions of Chough but not to be. Whilst checking these out my father had a couple of Yellowhammers which of course I missed:-C

Bizarrely I bumped into one of my colleagues which I wasn't expecting. Quite a few people walking their dogs down there with no issues whatsoever. There were plenty of free roaming sheep in the area as well.

The coffee in the Bay Bistro was surprisingly good along with the Welsh cakes. My wife gave a thumbs up to the hot chocolate but later worried about the calories. I'm sure she'll manage to blame me at some point:eat:

77. Siskin
78. Meadow Pipit

Ah how times change. The Bay Bistro whilst tolerable is not a patch on the Old Thomas's Tea Rooms (as it used to be). Old fashioned baking and thick cut ham and eggs, corned beef pie and the like.

Have you done the walk up onto the ridge either from LLangennith or the tail of the worm. Not many birds but magnificent views.

Been around the area quite a bit over the years John. I tend to keep to the Whiteford Point area in all honesty though. Went out on a boat the year before last which gave a different perspective to Worms Head. I've got a ropey ankle at the moment which is really making walks of any distance difficult. I was really hoping it would be better than what it is by now.

Have you been to Newport Wetlands Centre yet this year?

Rich

79. Treecreeper

In the back garden.

Really slowing down now. Still, only 7 weeks to go to the Scottish trip. Also considering a 2 night trip around Sutherland in May which might also help.

Had a cracking day today. Finally got our trip to Tregaron in.Only one new species to add but had fantastic views of Red Kite (c50) and Common Buzzards (c20). Also I know they're not everyone's favourites but the male Sprawk near the feeders was stunning and I always enjoy the "cronking" of Ravens overhead.

Before heading to Cors Caron we stopped at Y Talbot (in Tregaron) for lunch. The roast ribeye of beef dinner was absolutely spot on. The resident black lab was as friendly as ever as well. My only regret was that as I was driving I couldn't get to sample some of the real ales on offer. Speaking of which, had a cracking pint from the Neath Brewery on Friday - Witch Hunter. Lovely full flavour. Anyone birding in this are who likes a drop should give this one a tryB :)

80. Tawny Owl (ppv)

Rich

Had a day off and went with the children to Slimbridge today.

81. Grey Wagtail (on office roof at work)
82. Goldfinch (Slimbridge)
83. Black Tailed Godwit (Slimbridge)
84. Dunlin (Slimbridge)
85. Bewicks Swan (Slimbridge)
86. Common Crane &(Slimbridge) and lifer #2B :)

Plenty of other stuff around but all already on the list. Given its half term it was also incredibly busy.

Rich

Had a decent few hours at Crychan Forest yesterday. Had a few species but no new ones for the list. No Goshawk either. At least it's a good excuse to visit a stunningly beautiful area again. Managed a new one for the year on the way home though.

87. Pheasant (Myddfai)

Also called into Forest Farm lake today just to checkout where it was. Definitely be worth another visit I think and when I'm on my own. Plenty of dog walkers there with zero issues whatsoever. The issue I had was that I could still hear a lot of traffic and I prefer peace and quiet when birding.

Rich

Worked late;) Friday and added:

88. Great Black Backed Gull
89. Great White Egret lifer number 3B :)

Thanks to Howard:t: for help with the last one.

Rich

Users who are viewing this thread

Back