• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Eagle Optics Raven, First Impressions (1 Viewer)

I agree with Steve's comments. It really has to do with one's mindset. If you believe the image is going to be too small then it probably will turn out to be.

Oh, if life were so simple. :)

You mean "if only the manufacturers would make exactly what *I* want!" :)

I can, um, see where the lower power/wider field would make general landscape sweeping much more enjoyable than the reverse, and birds, etc. that are in close range would still look good and identifiable. Unfortunately I realized that the 6.5 model has an apparent field of view that is much too narrow for my tastes, so for my needs I would consider the 8.5 and be done with it -- as long as it's optically as good as my little Nikon Travelite V.

Unfortunately I realized that the 6.5 model has an apparent field of view that is much too narrow for my tastes,

Interesting point and a good one at that. I do notice the narrower apparent field of view with both the 6x30 Yosemite and the 6.5x32 Raven. Still the image is very natural because of the brightness, depth of field and relatively low level of disturbing edge distortion.

Though it is occasionally commented upon I think many of us (nothing in particular to this thread) forget that it is "easier" to produce a higher performing-lower powered bincoular at this price point. The 6.5x is always going to look better than the 8.5x simply because of the magnification issue.

Frank, I still have the Legend 8x42 porros. How would you compare sharpness etc of the 8.5x Raven to those? The lighter Raven, in my hand, would get a lot more use, if it was anywhere near the quality of the view.

Tero,

I still have my Legend porros as well. I still enjoy the sharpness, brightness and wide, usable field of view of the 8x42s.

A comparison is then fairly simple.

Apparent sharpness is very close between the two. Everything else though, except for weight/size, favors the Legend. The Legend is brighter, more contrasty, has a larger sweet spot and better eye relief. If you are just looking for a lighter weight alternative to the 8x42 Legend then I think the Raven would fit the bill. However, I know you own quite a few other binoculars and some in a very similar configuration to the Raven 8.5x32. Still, it is light and ergonomic based on my preferences.

I don't have but two 8x32s now, Legend and Pentax SP. I decided 28mm was OK for a pocket bino, but no longer much use to me. The Pentax 8x32 would then be the tough competition to the Raven. I like the relatively flat field of the Pentax, they get a lot of use, more than 10x through the summer months.

But weight has been a big issue for me for 6 years, there is the appeal of the Raven and the Yosemite. Somehow I went for the 8x42 instead of the Yosemite last year.

Frank ,
Before I forget..What about the Ultima DX 8x32 and the Raptor...?...How do they compare...The legend is 42mm,so not really fair to compare brightness ,but the Ultimas and Raptor,should be a close call in Image quality....

Mayomayo: A 42mm is only brighter than a 32mm when the entrance pupil of the eye is bigger than the smallest exit pupil of the two bins bin. Otherwise its the transmission of the bin that makes a difference.

So in regular daylight (pretty much until twilight except for some interesting habitats) you can compare 42mm and 32mm 8x bins.

Tero,

Having owned the 8x32 SP but not having one on hand I would said stick with the SP. Yes, it is one of the heavier 32 mm on the market but there is good reason for that. The Raven is lighter but the image quality, specifically because of the eye relief and level of edge distortion, does not make it comparable in my opinion. the 6.5x32 would be more comparable to the 8x32 SP in terms of the overall optical impression that it gives my eyes.

Manuel,

I would give the edge to the Ultima DX as well for much the same reasons I mentioned previously to Tero for the SP. I find the Ultima DX extremely easy to use for an 8x32 because of its particular size and weight. Optically it performs significantly above its price point in my opinion. The closest comparison to the 8.5x32 Raven is the 8x30 Yosemite. Other than slightly better brightness and contrast in the Raven the images are very similar.

Kevin...With 8.5X32 you get an exit pupil of 3.7..so chances are the entrance pupil is going to be larger than that,..Specially looking at birds!!!(the pupil will dilate if a person sees an object of interest!!)

Last edited:
That's not likley during daylight ... mine don't hit 4mm until twilight (and thats the average measurement too though the range is plus or minus 1mm).

You can actually do the measurement on yourself with a digital camera.

With that thought in mind it is then entirely possible to see the difference between a 4 mm and a 5 mm exit pupil in full daylight?

Only if there's scattered junk at the edge of the pupil (I've seen that in some bins including the Victory).

But if you are just looking through it, unless you can get a larger than 4mm entrance pupil to your eye in daylight, then you aren't going to notice any difference in brightness.

Or the other way to think about it is your eye's entrance pupil acts as a stop (and probably improves your view with a higher effective f number).

The 5mm might be less fiddly to placement but that's a different issue to brightness.

Hmm, your earlier comment now has me wondering. I have often seen the reference to a 4 mm eye pupil in daylight but your comment about it varying slightly has me wondering. I often seem to be able to see a difference in brightness between 5 mm and 4 mm exit pupil binoculars. This would then be an indication that my pupil might open up slightly more?

I think so...Pupil size really fluctuates with emotions. Lets imagine you are looking really "hard" at something,Like trying to determine why that weird looking Yellowlegs resemble so much an Spotted Sandpiper,And then getting very excited about the sudden realization that the bird is a Solitary Sandpiper .Maybe with all the emphasis and excitement your pupils are even 5 mm(plus,even in daylight,you are shading your eyes from available light using the binoculars)

At that memorable moment ,probably the difference in brightness between 3.7, 4, and 5 mm exit pupil is quite evident ,even in daylight,specially if we are looking at a dark area or low contrast subject....

Last edited:
That seems to make sense. Why have I not heard it mentioned previously then with all of the general discussion on ideal size of binoculars and exit pupil size, etc...?

Well, it is here. The 8.5x. I have looked at 8x Yosemites in a well lit store. I was impressed enough there. These are definitely not better than my 8x42 Legend porros. Sharpness is almost as good, but not quite. Sweet spot is smaller. They are also a bit dim.

Also compared to my 8x32 roofs, Legend. Definitely not better or brighter.

They are not awful. So they will not be going back tomorrow in the same box.:king:

So I think they have some potential in the field. I would definitely like a pair of this weight and shape, but higher quality. Maybe a 8x36 porro. Do they make such a thing?

The main problem with the 8x42s is the weight.

So I think they have some potential in the field. I would definitely like a pair of this weight and shape, but higher quality. Maybe a 8x36 porro. Do they make such a thing?

The main problem with the 8x42s is the weight.

Hi Tero,

I would like to see a smaller lighter version of the Legend porro. That would be great. Their weight put me off buying them because I think they would just sit at home unused if I had a pair. Optically though I think their brilliant for the price.

Martin.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back