• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (29 Viewers)

Back home after dipping the geese, owls and teal at Fairburn Ings with Ken. A trip to Swillington Ings did give us twite but the scaup on the river were elusive, I reckon the narrow boat that we saw before we got to Carolina Bridge had spooked them.
Still we did reach the heady heights of 50 species before the skies opened.

I decided to dip those species today too.

Highlights at Fairburn were pintail, smew (redhead) and a flock of 15 lesser redpoll. Also good numbers of redwing and fieldfare.

Had a 1st winter Shag flying inland at Wansford along Wansford Canal yesterday with 6 Cormorants. Noticed a smaller brown bird with the Corms which commute regularly along the canal (presumably from Hornsea Mere/sea to the LDV). It flew parallel for a hundred yards or so and then I turned north and it flew infront of the car. Very nice surprise and worth checking any inland Corm roosts.

The Bean Goose was still present today at Fairburn but very elusive.
The bird spent most of the time feeding in vegetation across the water in front of the hide. At one stage all the waterfowl were spooked out and pushed onto the water, the Bean Goose was more or less the last bird to show A few poor pics attached. I don't think the differences between the two races are as great as we are led to believe.
Other birds of note were redhead Smew and a drake Ruddy Duck.

Attachments

• bgoose1.jpg
    bgoose1.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 87
  • bgoose2.jpg
    bgoose2.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 94
  • bgoose3.jpg
    bgoose3.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 92
  • bgoose4.jpg
    bgoose4.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 93
SEO Roost Staveley

If anyone gets the chance photograph these guys disturbing the SEO's, or anything else for that matter, and post it on here, lets make sure these idiots are identified and acknowledged in the field when seen ...

If anyone gets the chance photograph these guys disturbing the SEO's, or anything else for that matter, and post it on here, lets make sure these idiots are identified and acknowledged in the field when seen ...

Agree that it would be good to get them named and shamed but for god's sake don't post the pictures in this thread. I can remember the flame wars when Andy posted pics of the trespassers on his blog. May be a good idea to start a new thread in the main forum.

Flamborough

Pair of Stonechats showing well on the high tide mark at South Landing this aft

Stonechat001edited.jpg

Stonechat005edited.jpg

Hen or Marsh? (Location based ID)

Saw a Harrier on the A64 on the way to Scarborough today, can't remember exactly where but it was flying over some fields which were absolutely loaded with Rooks and Black Headed gulls!
Caught up with some ladies on the North Bay who had binoculars so I went and asked them about it, they said mostly likely Hen Harrier, can anyone confirm this please? :)

Saw dozens of Wigeon and a Peregrine amongst a million gulls, was only looking out for it because I got a tip off! Lucky!

Saw a Harrier on the A64 on the way to Scarborough today, can't remember exactly where but it was flying over some fields which were absolutely loaded with Rooks and Black Headed gulls!
Caught up with some ladies on the North Bay who had binoculars so I went and asked them about it, they said mostly likely Hen Harrier, can anyone confirm this please? :)

Saw dozens of Wigeon and a Peregrine amongst a million gulls, was only looking out for it because I got a tip off! Lucky!

No way of ID'ing your harrier as it could have been either although most Marsh have pushed off to the estuaries or further afield at the moment they are far from unusual in that area. Plenty of Hen Harriers compared to usual around at the moment but that doesnt mean they are at high densities. Sorry

Based on location and time of year my money would be on Hen Harrier, but you could never be 100% sure.

The Bean Goose was still present today at Fairburn but very elusive.
The bird spent most of the time feeding in vegetation across the water in front of the hide. At one stage all the waterfowl were spooked out and pushed onto the water, the Bean Goose was more or less the last bird to show A few poor pics attached. I don't think the differences between the two races are as great as we are led to believe.
Other birds of note were redhead Smew and a drake Ruddy Duck.

Then I met you in the hide, I was the next one to show up after the bean goose had gone. I was in there about two hours, pretty much all the geese came back out of the grasses again but not the bean goose.

Nice to meet you!

I spoke with Carl Watts, Yorkshire Wildlife Trust's Staveley Community Officer yesterday who told me that the LEOs at YWT Staveley were roosting again until disturbed by photographers. These selfish people were not content with watching from the path like everyone else and went too close. This happened apparently before Christmas.
Shame.

Jono

Lets just say Mr Watts may have been a bit economical with the truth 3:)

Had a very good day's birding on the birdrace today, drawing with Jono and Andy's team with 90 species in the York area (although I sadly didn't read Jono's post from yesterday til just now, which might have got us an extra couple of species.

The only downside was at the SEO's mentioned by Doc Reed, where a couple of 'birders' were seen walking out along foss beck, on to private land and dangerously close to the owls roost site. Hopefully the landowner didn't see, as they had previously been reasonably accommodating, but another very good reason why birds such as these in sensitive areas shouldn't be mentioned on national forums such as this, or the bird news services.

Had a very good day's birding on the birdrace today, drawing with Jono and Andy's team with 90 species in the York area (although I sadly didn't read Jono's post from yesterday til just now, which might have got us an extra couple of species.

The only downside was at the SEO's mentioned by Doc Reed, where a couple of 'birders' were seen walking out along foss beck, on to private land and dangerously close to the owls roost site. Hopefully the landowner didn't see, as they had previously been reasonably accommodating, but another very good reason why birds such as these in sensitive areas shouldn't be mentioned on national forums such as this, or the bird news services.

I have photographic evidence... tsk! No wonder photographers get a bad name.

I spoke to Chris, a lovely gentleman from the shooting club who let me and a friend walk down the side of his Shooting Range... so we could view and photograph the birds with the light behind us. (from a photographers point of view, this is pretty important)
The birds were flying freely up and down the fields... two showing really well.

We spent about half an hour there then walked back to the track. You are just as 'close' to the birds here as you are on the track, so if anyone in the future thinks you are getting 'closer' to the birds, you`re not. It`s all about luck really. Stand in one place for long enough and you`ll get lucky once or twice.

It was awesome to see these birds out today after spending a few hours down there yesterday in the wind and not seeing any. |=)|

I`ll be definately going again, in better light, and its great to meet new faces.

Attachments

• 1owl.jpg
    1owl.jpg
    294.3 KB · Views: 106
Hatfield Moors

Hi Everyone,
Could anyone please help with advice as to where the Great Grey Shrike, Whooper and Bewick Swans are at Wroot and where is the best place to park a car as i don't know this area at all

Really enjoyable day doing the birdrace around the York Area (well really ours was the LDV area I guess) - we broke the past record of 86 species racking up a total of 90 species - a total matched by Tim, Ollie, Chris and Jacks team (well done guys!!!).

I've just put a bit on my blog... may help anyone interested in year-listing in the local area.

Was great fun to take part in it... Who fancis a May bird race...

Cheers, Andy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back