• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Walrus Kinlochbervie (1 Viewer)

I've checked all wally's RBA reported haunts round kinlochbervie plus sandwood beach this morning and so far failed to find him. Possibly no-one else looking. Raining now not helping. Mostly poor signal round here.

Rechecked all the beaches nw of kinlochbervie this afternoon. No sign of him. I plan to recheck sandwood beach in the morning; it's actually only a four mile walk each way, so not so bad. I might then try balnakiel. Good 4G on klbervie pier, looking across to where he was first seen here.

Rechecked all the beaches nw of kinlochbervie this afternoon. No sign of him. I plan to recheck sandwood beach in the morning; it's actually only a four mile walk each way, so not so bad. I might then try balnakiel. Good 4G on klbervie pier, looking across to where he was first seen here.

At least you can escape all this wedding nonsense. Fingers crossed he makes a landing locally tomorrow!

Check the beaches from oldshoremore..round to sandwood without connecting today...still here till tomorrow if theres been any sigjtings reported today

My guess is it's long moved on. We're still staking out Balnakiel, but I bet it's long past here really, so we will be moving east tomorrow. It's pretty clear now that it was a bum steer from the facebooker who claimed on day 2 that it had been hanging around Kinlochbervie 'for several days'.

Does the animal look well?

A

Asked myself the same question. Laboured and sluggish (pinnepeds can be surprisingly fast) with apparently shoulder blades evident under the blubber. Don't get me wrong, I'm far from an expert, but were it my walrus I'd be talking to a vet right about now, just in case.

I believe the BDMLR are 'monitoring' it and although there has been some concern, they seem happy it's been feeding. Didn't look too good in the video, I must admit I thought the same.

Last edited:
Heat exhaustion, perhaps?

It must be finding Scotland / the temperate North Atlantic far too hot for its liking, water probably close to ten degrees warmer than it's adapted to.

Interesting that it also appears to be pulling itself along with its teeth, digging into the sand? Is that a known form of locomotion?

Oh dear. That's surely not right. I wish I had seen this video before. He looked magnificent in the stills taken on North Ronaldsay and great too in the video as he swam below the cliffs of Caithness, but here he looks thin, starving and very weak. How sad. He's not put in an appearance at Balnakiel beach yet (I'm still looking) and, looking at that video, I fear he may never be seen alive again anywhere.

Oh dear. That's surely not right. I wish I had seen this video before. He looked magnificent in the stills taken on North Ronaldsay and great too in the video as he swam below the cliffs of Caithness, but here he looks thin, starving and very weak. How sad. He's not put in an appearance at Balnakiel beach yet (I'm still looking) and, looking at that video, I fear he may never be seen alive again anywhere.

Agree Steve - that video is hard to watch, he looks very sick.

cheers, alan

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back