• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Interview with Zeiss Head of Repairs and Servicing (1 Viewer)

A new and in-depth interview on the changes taking place within Zeiss Customer Service can be found at: https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?p=3906351#post3906351

Lee

Hello,

A nice pertinent interview with Zeiss , thank you.

It is encouraging to see that Zeiss is aware that there are people in other parts of the world other than the U.S.A. and Europe.

It now remains to be seen if Zeiss will actually do anything about this.

It is after all "the money that buys the whiskey".

o:D

Cheers.

And thanks from here, Lee. Having some feedback during the warranty return process would be reassuring.
I’ve just sent back my Conquest HD 8x32 for a recurring focussing issue, for the second time since I bought them new four years ago. Turnaround time from Australia was 3 months last time and I’m hopeful there may be a quicker resolution this time, but there seems to be no way of tracking what’s going on and it would be good if Zeiss can address that. Having binos in for repair for 6 months out of 4 years is not good!
Cheers, Peter

Lee,

These are always interesting and informative. I for one appreciate the fact you have developed the contacts needed and are willing to take the time, effort and expense to do this, so thanks. :t:

One thing I have been curious about is the original move from Virginia to New York. Virginia was a Sports Optics repair center, and New York was/is not, at least according to one mutual acquaintance of ours. That move lost Zeiss a whole lot of service and warranty experience. That it seems, left New York at some disadvantage. However I have no idea of the New York center's real abilities. So Herr Cramer is right in realizing this could have better "optics". The move to Kentucky makes sense as he explains it as both UPS and FedEx have major centers there.

It could be the "whole lot of experience" was getting ready to retire. and that could have been a factor in the timing.

Last edited:
And not to mention that New York is tax hell, an unfriendly business climate as such. This is one main reason Meopta USA moved to Florida from tax hell New York.

And now Zeiss has moved to Kentucky, where they have a large optics center, mostly for glasses
lenses. I reported on this a few months ago, with the move they are now training new help, and most
repairs will be sent to Germany. I spoke directly to the head of service, USA. So things have not changed
much.

Many companies send things back to the homeland, including Meopta, Leica and depending on the
optic, Swarovski.

Jerry

I just sent in my Terra 8x25 for a repair, and I am extremely satisfied with the service and turnaround time (and with the results!).

Lee,

These are always interesting and informative. I for one appreciate the fact you have developed the contacts needed and are willing to take the time, effort and expense to do this, so thanks. :t:

One thing I have been curious about is the original move from Virginia to New York. Virginia was a Sports Optics repair center, and New York was/is not, at least according to one mutual acquaintance of ours. That move lost Zeiss a whole lot of service and warranty experience. That it seems, left New York at some disadvantage. However I have no idea of the New York center's real abilities. So Herr Cramer is right in realizing this could have better "optics". The move to Kentucky makes sense as he explains it as both UPS and FedEx have major centers there.

It could be the "whole lot of experience" was getting ready to retire. and that could have been a factor in the timing.

The closure of Virginia and the move to NY was part of a gradual world-wide integration of Sports Optics into the Consumer Products Group. It has happened in the UK and as we have seen on Birdforum it has happened in Germany and of course it happened inthe States.

NY did have servicing capabilities and in the interview you will have read about the training ini KY being done by a NT employee. However I am sure that NY never reached the full potential as a service centre as it didn't exist for long enough before the owner of the building said Hi and Goodbye.

Lee

And now Zeiss has moved to Kentucky, where they have a large optics center, mostly for glasses
lenses. I reported on this a few months ago, with the move they are now training new help, and most
repairs will be sent to Germany. I spoke directly to the head of service, USA. So things have not changed
much.

Many companies send things back to the homeland, including Meopta, Leica and depending on the
optic, Swarovski.

Jerry

Thanks Jerry and while some repairs are going back to Germany at the moment, HerrCramer made it very clear this is not the long-term plan.

Lee

Last edited:
I just sent in my Terra 8x25 for a repair, and I am extremely satisfied with the service and turnaround time (and with the results!).

what did they repair....I sent mine in for slightly loose hinge and received a new one.....

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back