• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New released Swaro CL Companion 8x30 B (2 Viewers)

No law states that they have to honor any price. They are free to cancel an order if they want to.
Not really. That would be false advertising. You can file a complaint with the FTC(Federal Trade Commision) if a merchant advertises a price and then doesn't honor it. I have filed a couple times with the FTC and they made the merchant honor their advertised price. Even if a store for example has an item priced incorrectly they have to sell it to you for that price.

https://www.ftc.gov/

Last edited:
Not really. That would be false advertising. You can file a complaint with the FTC(Federal Trade Commision) if a merchant advertises a price and then doesn't honor it. I have filed a couple times with the FTC and they made the merchant honor their advertised price. Even if a store for example has an item priced incorrectly they have to sell it to you for that price.

Gee, does consumer QC even counts for advertisements or is this Fake NewsB :)

Jan

In the UK, according to our Sale of Goods Act, a price in a store window is not regarded as an offer from the store so you can't insist they sell at that price. The price on the label in the window or other displays is regarded as 'an invitation to treat'. This means when you take it up to the counter to buy it, in law you are not 'accepting' their indicated price, you are finding out what price they will sell at and if you pay it means you have made an offer to buy at that price which the shop then accepts.

From 'The Telegraph' newspaper website:
First it confirms what I posted above and then:

The situation is not as clear-cut online.

The legally binding contract is complete when a retailer accepts an order. However, acceptance does not necessarily happen at the point of order. Even the confirmation email may not be an acceptance. Some retailers reserve the right to cancel an order up to the point of delivery. It is therefore important to carefully check the retailer’s terms and conditions (which must be available on their website) and emails – if a retailer simply acknowledges an order, there may be no contract at that point.

According to some terms and conditions on websites, some sellers only accepts orders once it has delivered the goods. Therefore the processing of a payment and acknowledgement of an order does not constitute a legally binding contract.​

In the States and other countries the situation may well be very different.

Lee

In the States and other countries the situation may well be very different.

Lee

Actually, the situation here is pretty much the same. Dennis is completely incorrect. A retailer is not forced to honor an advertised price that was incorrect. Sure, it's nice if they do, but no law forces them to.

There are members here that might remember when Eagle Optics had incorrect prices on Kowa products last year. All of the orders people made were cancelled. There is nothing that can be done about it.

Actually, the situation here is pretty much the same. Dennis is completely incorrect. A retailer is not forced to honor an advertised price that was incorrect. Sure, it's nice if they do, but no law forces them to.

There are members here that might remember when Eagle Optics had incorrect prices on Kowa products last year. All of the orders people made were cancelled. There is nothing that can be done about it.

Thanks for clarifying this Phil.

Lee

No, I am correct. I have filed twice with the FTC and they have contacted the vendor and threatened them with legal action if they didn't sell the item at the advertised price. I even saw the letters from the FTC the vendors received. It is "false advertising" or "baiting." Some vendors "bait and switch" with a low price and it is illegal. Once Econo Lube advertised an oil change special for $9.99 so I took my truck over to get the oil changed and they charged me $24.99 because they said a truck was more but it didn't say that in the advertisement. I filed with the FTC when I got home and they sent Econo Lube a letter saying they would start legal action if they didn't honor the advertisement. Econo Lube called me and I got a FREE oil change. True story. "False Advertising" of a price anywhere is ILLEGAL in the USA.

Last edited:
So what do we've got here.
We've got a steal deal for an CL what turned out to be Fake News, got in the middle of False Advertisement and ended up with an oil change for vans which got abused for a truck oil change.

Dennis, is there somewhere in the US a living soul where you didn't got a fight with?

Jan

PS

Dennis, just wandering: after this royal treatment from Econo Lube, did you stay as a loyal customer?

Last edited:
So, Dennis, my local newspaper leaves a 2 out of my ad by accident, I'm supposed to honor the $199 published price for an EL 8x32?

So what do we've got here.
We've got a steal deal for an CL what turned out to be Fake News, got in the middle of False Advertisement and ended up with an oil change for vans which got abused for a truck oil change.

Dennis, is there somewhere in the US a living soul where you didn't got a fight with?

Jan

PS

Dennis, just wandering: after this royal treatment from Econo Lube, did you stay as a loyal customer?
Focus Camera is a good seller I have bought stuff from them before so I don't think they intended to post a fake ad. I feel they just made a mistake and realized it and quickly corrected it. I didn't fight with anybody. Econo Lube was using false advertising to generate business which is illegal and not fair to the consumer. That is why we have a Federal Trade Commision.

So, Dennis, my local newspaper leaves a 2 out of my ad by accident, I'm supposed to honor the $199 published price for an EL 8x32?
In that case that would be the papers fault. But let us say for example you advertised a new Swarovski 8x32 SV for $999.95 and I called to order one and you either said you don't have any or tried to switch me to a Nikon 8x42 MHG that would be "Bait and Switch". You baited me with the low price on the SV and then tried to switch me to a less expensive item knowing full well you never had the SV 8x32. You are using illegal false advertising to generate traffic to your store. A definite no-no with the FTC. There are many different illegal trade practices and that is what the FTC does. They protect the consumer from such practices.

Focus Camera is a good seller I have bought stuff from them before so I don't think they intended to post a fake ad. I feel they just made a mistake and realized it and quickly corrected it. I didn't fight with anybody. Econo Lube was using false advertising to generate business which is illegal and not fair to the consumer. That is why we have a Federal Trade Commision.

Dennis,

This is nothing more than a storm in a glass of waterB :)
Point made was, that you mentioned a steal deal what wasn't there. Nobody says that was your fault. It just happened to be mistake. Since there is no steal deal it could be Trumps world wide wellknown invention: Fake News.

I assume the garage advertised for a oil change and considering the price everybody understands it is for vans, but somehow somewhere there is a person called Dennis who takes his truck, shows up and gets his truck oil chainged, after a fight, for 10 bucks.
The question remains Dennis, did you stay there as a loyal customer, after they treated you royal, or did you used them and burned them.

Jan

Actually I never used Econo Lube again. They are kind of a dishonest place anyway. I don't believe there are any stores up here in Greeley where I now live anyway.

No, I am correct. I have filed twice with the FTC and they have contacted the vendor and threatened them with legal action if they didn't sell the item at the advertised price. I even saw the letters from the FTC the vendors received. It is "false advertising" or "baiting." Some vendors "bait and switch" with a low price and it is illegal. Once Econo Lube advertised an oil change special for $9.99 so I took my truck over to get the oil changed and they charged me $24.99 because they said a truck was more but it didn't say that in the advertisement. I filed with the FTC when I got home and they sent Econo Lube a letter saying they would start legal action if they didn't honor the advertisement. Econo Lube called me and I got a FREE oil change. True story. "False Advertising" of a price anywhere is ILLEGAL in the USA.

You are correct - false advertising is illegal. However, the situation in question here is not that. Whether or not that optics company put up that price deliberately, all they have to say when someone tries to purchase one is that the price was an error. No company can be made to honor a price posted in error. And since no one is going to call them up and purchase a bino at a higher price *without consent* no harm is done to anyone. Which is also a completely different situation from your personal one that you describe.

But if you want to go on believing incorrect information, you go right ahead......

You are correct - false advertising is illegal. However, the situation in question here is not that. Whether or not that optics company put up that price deliberately, all they have to say when someone tries to purchase one is that the price was an error. No company can be made to honor a price posted in error. And since no one is going to call them up and purchase a bino at a higher price *without consent* no harm is done to anyone. Which is also a completely different situation from your personal one that you describe.

But if you want to go on believing incorrect information, you go right ahead......

Even if the price was in error many states have laws that say the merchant must sell it for that price. NY is on the list so legally Focus Camera would have to sell you the CL at their listed price.

http://www.freestufffinder.com/pricing-error-laws-when-your-store-has-to-honor-a-glitch-price/
https://www.nist.gov/pml/weights-and-measures/us-retail-pricing-laws-and-regulations-state

"Glitches and pricing errors can be fantastic little “surprise deals” when you’re able to get them from your stores. However, the “when you’re able to get them” is the biggest hurdle to overcome. Luckily, if you live in California (or one of several other states), you have the law on your side!
In this article, I’m going to talk about how pricing error laws work to the benefit of the consumer, and how to use them. I’m going to focus specifically on how this law works in California, but you can check the full list of states to see if yours participates.
When this happens (weather it’s a display price tag or ringing up at the price scanner), what I do is take a picture of the signage and show it to cashier at checkout. They will usually bring a manager over to resolve the issue. When they don’t, that’s when I will recite the CA Pricing Error Law below.
pricing-errors-boppy-toycube
When you see Free Stuff Finder posting deals on pricing errors (such as this KitchenAid deal at Target) we always mention false advertising laws. This is because many states have specific laws that protects consumers from paying a higher price than from what is advertised on the shelf. So, if you see a price tag on the shelf that seems way lower than what it should be, keep in mind that your store may have to honor it or face fines and penalties!
I’ve never had a store not honor display price errors. One time (Star Wars Dolls ringing up for $0.99 in January 2016) the manager tried to refuse, I simply pulled out the following law and read it to her. She stepped away and allowed me to buy several of the toy. Hope this comes in handy for you. Let me know in the comments below if you know of such a law in other states.
Specifically, California’s Business and Professional Code states this (Also see this code here and additional discussion here):

California B&P Code #12024.2.
(a) It is unlawful for any person, at the time of sale of
a commodity, to do any of the following:
(1) Charge an amount greater than the price, or to compute an
amount greater than a true extension of a price per unit, that is
then advertised, posted, marked, displayed, or quoted for that
commodity.
(2) Charge an amount greater than the lowest price posted on the
commodity itself or on a shelf tag that corresponds to the commodity,
notwithstanding any limitation of the time period for which the
posted price is in effect.
(b) A violation of this section is a misdemeanor punishable by a
fine of not less than twenty-five dollars ($25) nor more than one
thousand dollars ($1,000), by imprisonment in the county jail for a
period not exceeding one year, or by both, if the violation is
willful or grossly negligent, or when the overcharge is more than one
dollar ($1).
(c) A violation of this section is an infraction punishable by a
fine of not more than one hundred dollars ($100) when the overcharge
is one dollar ($1) or less.
(d) As used in subdivisions (b) and (c), “overcharge” means the
amount by which the charge for a commodity exceeds a price that is
advertised, posted, marked, displayed, or quoted to that consumer for
that commodity at the time of sale.
(e) Except as provided in subdivision (f), for purposes of this
section, when more than one price for the same commodity is
advertised, posted, marked, displayed, or quoted, the person offering
the commodity for sale shall charge the lowest of those prices.
(f) Pricing may be subject to a condition of sale, such as
membership in a retailer-sponsored club, the purchase of a minimum
quantity, or the purchase of multiples of the same item, provided
that the condition is conspicuously posted in the same location as
the price.

This means that if you find a pricing error at your local store in California or any of the states on the list, they have to give it to you. If they don’t, they’re breaking the law. Additionally, there are other participating states where you have a good chance of being able to get it at that price, as well. Make sure you check the list of participating states to see if you one of the lucky states included in this!

Last edited:
Sounds like integrity issues on both sides.... sellers looking to take advantage of buyers; & buyers looking to take advantage of sellers. :eek!:

Ditto the comment above!!!

My .o2,

CG

Well ............................. :smoke:

Didn't Zeiss have to redesign eye cups for their Conquests to make their ER longer or something like that

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=266432

Maybe Swarovski's will work OK for most people?

Bob

Bob
A sufficient number of folks found the eyecups a little too short compared with the ER so Zeiss produced some slightly longer eyecups as optional replacements. I was OK with the original eyecups with my spectacles at the time of acquiring the Conquests but a change in my spectacles prescription meant the longer eyecups were better.

Lee

Bob
A sufficient number of folks found the eyecups a little too short compared with the ER so Zeiss produced some slightly longer eyecups as optional replacements. I was OK with the original eyecups with my spectacles at the time of acquiring the Conquests but a change in my spectacles prescription meant the longer eyecups were better.

Lee
I wish more manufacturers would do that. That would be a solution to too short of eye cups.

Bob

Lee

Thanks Lee,

I've been using the current model as a car binocular and I don't have any eye placement problems with it so I don't think the new version will bother me.

What I am most interested in is the so called "optical box" it is rumored to have, in fact Jan says it actually does have it.

I know this is possible because I have an inexpensive Pentax 9x32 which I can jam back into my eye balls while using it and I can also use it braced against my eye brows and not be afflicted with any blackouts in either position. It is the only binocular I have ever been able to do this with.

Bob

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back