• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (11 Viewers)

This morning at FLASHES

An early start 6.50am still dark but loads of gulls were leaving the roost.
No new waders and ducks have declined a little probably as there are so many other wet areas around the region.
A bit of Vis-Mig even in a cool SW breeze. Mostly meadow pipits many perching in the hedgerow nect to avocet hide and also feeding in front.
Highlight of morning was the Kittiwake , I picked it up sitting in the 1st Flash. Almost immediately it flew to the wooden stock fence perching literally for seconds, after which it flew into the sun and lost.
To the right of the hide a pair of Stonechat performed well.
Species Count FLASHES
Little grebe, Teal 60, shoveler 35, Gadwall 2. Greylag 4. Mute swan 8 (pr + 5 juvs plus juv).
Cormorant over, coot 57. Water rail called.
Curlew 11. Green sand. Lapwing 60, avocet. Snipe 2.
KITTIWAKE ad winter.
Peregrine, Kestrel, sparrowhawk.
Green woodpecker, great sp woodp. Kingfisher.
Raven 2. Jay
SWALLOW moved through low over lagoons at 10.50.
Skylark 3, redwing 2. Song thrush 2. Starling c120 ( some flying at speed SW could have been on migration.)
Grey wag 2, pied wag 6, meadow pipit 20,
STONECHAT pr,
Greenfinch, chaffinch, goldfinch 30, linnet 6,
Reed bunting 6.

Last edited:
Yesterday evening at the Flashes Mike W reported:

Second winter Caspian Gull, 1 Yellow-legged Gull, 2 Common Gulls (both adults), 4 colour-ringed Black-headed Gulls (T81U - Polish, TCP7 - Polish, black 2CTJ - a new bird from Marsh Lane and a green ringed bird whose code couldn't be read*), 12 Curlew, Avocet, 2 Green Sandpiper, 2 Barn Owls

Mike also had a Stonechat at the Moors Pool in addition to the two John had at the Flashes in the morning.

* Previously green ringed BHGs (including one from earlier this year) have originated from Norway

Last edited:
From the Flashes this morning Andy P reports:

2 Avocet - unfortunately the long staying individual is lying largely motionless on the shoreline in front of the stock fencing, Dunlin, 2 Green Sandpiper, 9 Curlew.

From this Flashes this evening Mike reports:

Much smaller roost withis only approx 2500 birds - no Caspian or Yellow-legged Gulls but 3 Common Gulls (2 adults & 1 first winter). Also the new distinctive 'grey-crowned' Avocet, Common Sandpiper, Green Sandpiper, Barn Owl.

Last edited:
From this Flashes this evening Mike reports:

Much smaller roost withis only approx 2500 birds - no Casp ian or Yellow-legged Gills but 3 Common Gulls (2 adults & 1 first winter). Also new distinctive 'grey-crowned' Avocet, Common Sandpiper, Green Sandpiper, Barn Owl.

The Avocet with the distinctive grey crown is the same bird that I saw this morning.

Yesterday evening at the Flashes Mike W reported:

Second winter Caspian Gull, 1 Yellow-legged Gull, 2 Common Gulls (both adults), 4 colour-ringed Black-headed Gulls (T81U - Polish, TCP7 - Polish, black 2CTJ - a new bird from Marsh Lane and a green ringed bird whose code couldn't be read*), 12 Curlew, Avocet, 2 Green Sandpiper, 2 Barn Owls

Mike also had a Stonechat at the Moors Pool in addition to the two John had at the Flashes in the morning.

* Previously green ringed BHGs (including one from earlier this year) have originated from Norway

Confirmation back overnight that the Black-headed Gull sporting a black leg ring with white code 2CTJ was ringed in the nest at Marsh Lane NR on the 1st June 2018. Saturday was the first sighting of the bird since then.

Today's combined sightings of myself, Andy P and Andy A:

FLASHES
Eclipse drake Wigeon, 23 Gadwall*, 68 Shoveler, 69 Teal, 62 Coot, 33 Moorhen, Little Grebe, adult winter Common Gull, Dunlin, 2 Green Sandpiper, 9 Curlew, 3 Snipe, 60 Lapwing, Fieldfare, 12 Redwing, 8 Meadow Pipit, female Stonechat, juvenile and female Kestrel, Peregrine, Raven, 2+ Barn Owls at dusk, Buzzard caught a vole.

Roost - again no sign of the Caspian Gull but first winter Common Gull and adult Yellow-legged Gull.

SAILING POOL
4 Great Crested Grebe

MOORS POOL
3 Jack Snipe on promentary, 12 Curlew, 6 Snipe, Dunlin (from the Flashes), 130 Lapwing, 15 Gadwall*, Pochard (male), 52 Shoveler (predominately from the Flashes), Wigeon (moved from the Flashes), 24 Teal, 28 Tufted Duck, 38 Coot, 5 Little Grebe, 50 Redwing in the North Moors plantation, Coal Tit on North Moors feeding station, Swallow, Kingfisher, Grey Wagtail, male Stonechat, 11 Fieldfare over the car park.

* Looking at the counts I would estimate there was a minimum of 33 Gadwall on the reserve yesterday afternoon, another new site record.

Last edited:
Tuesday's work party Moors

Tomorrow will doing willow and scrub management.
The periphery of west side of the Car Park will also be brush cut...So could work crew and any early birders please park on the east side closest to the pool.
👍john

Tonights Barn Owl

Given the unfamiliar camera - I haven't used it for ages - which has a very high Iso, I am quite pleased with the pic. I'm sure others have better pics but given that it was very dark and I couldn't see it clearly...….. Those in the hide tonight will no doubt tell you my favourite word is Where?????
Phil E

Attachments

• P6540142 (2).JPG
    P6540142 (2).JPG
    292.9 KB · Views: 125
Last edited:
Juvenile Kestrel noted by others.

I leave those in the hide to confirm its sex and age. It was noted for its apparent paleness. I haven't done anything to these pics but that slight difference in pose changes the whole colour effect, for me at least.
Done with my usual camera and only resized memory wise to get it on here.

Attachments

• DSCN3357 (2).JPG
    DSCN3357 (2).JPG
    283.7 KB · Views: 121
  • DSCN3358 (2).JPG
    DSCN3358 (2).JPG
    220.5 KB · Views: 126
2 Buzzards?

Okay the first is a rubbish pic - its out of focus. I post it only as a comparison with the other pic. Even I can't alter the colour that much. I think there were two buzzards this evening.

Taken with my usual camera -as is - and the "out of focus" is MY fault!

Attachments

• DSCN3365 (2).JPG
    DSCN3365 (2).JPG
    348.5 KB · Views: 100
  • DSCN3368 (2).JPG
    DSCN3368 (2).JPG
    246.1 KB · Views: 111
There were lots of interesting gulls tonight and I need to look at some more closely.

Of note was the common gull pointed out to me and the one I found that
may be the previously found dark gull. Anyway its head was much darker than other similar gulls showing tonight.

Dunlin also present but hiding for much of my time there.

Dunlin
Dark gull close up and in more general context
Common Gull
A "was it or wasn't it" gull. Much discussion in the corner. It was pretty much dark - took me enough effort to photograph it to know what it was! Over to those present tonight to comment if they wish.

Phil E

Attachments

• DSCN3399 (2).JPG
    DSCN3399 (2).JPG
    330.9 KB · Views: 92
  • DSCN3476 (2).JPG
    DSCN3476 (2).JPG
    245.8 KB · Views: 101
  • DSCN3474 (2).JPG
    DSCN3474 (2).JPG
    214.2 KB · Views: 139
  • DSCN3516 (2).JPG
    DSCN3516 (2).JPG
    247.2 KB · Views: 115
  • DSCN3533 (2).JPG
    DSCN3533 (2).JPG
    224.1 KB · Views: 149
Tuesday Work party

A great day todayachoeving more than we expected.
Thanks to all 21 of the crew
Alan D. Andy A, Bob G. Bobby P. Bob R. Charles. Dave H. Graham L. Ian B. Ian Joh. Jim B. John C. Julie W. Keith M. Kim W. Paul M. Ray C. Steve T. Sue T. Tony B and me

Jobs
Cleared around car park ...bramble and scrub and enclosed parts , today it was brush cut.

BLACKTHORN
Two areas of blackthorn were managed today. One in the NW the other in NE corner. Both areas have become tall and leggy and those section away from the sun have died. To rejuvenate and give the area chance to recover and regenerate we cut it back to ground level at the front tapering upwards at the rear. This will create structural diversity and thicken the hedge for nesting and berry productivity, benefitting a range of birds and hopefully attract brown hairstreak butterflies.
The brash was used to create dead hedging along the trail and in the bare areas in the NE side of the plantation.

SEASONAL POOL
The major job of the day was opening up the North Moors seasonal pool. This has almost been completely choked and overgrown by trees and scrub.
Thankfully Bob G has the qualifications to use a chainsaw which allowed us to progress this project more rapidly than we could have hoped for.
Over the last 4 or 5 years that this area has been left untouched a good area of blackthorn has formed and a viable scrubby patch now exends from the NW corner of the trail along to the NW corner of the reserve boundary. We will enhance this to maximize its benifit to passerines both for breeding and foraging at passage times.
We also plan to improve viewing possibilities for birders in this area other than just from the trail.
The whole northern section of the North Moors will become a diverse scrubby zone full of berries and thick cover..I am quite exited at what we could achieve here , fingers crossed what we have on paper will come to fruition.
B :)john

Users who are viewing this thread

Back