• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Natural Sequence Farming (2 Viewers)

You were thinking of a future much farther away than our lifetimes and definitely some sort of epiphany from a large chunk of the population, not to mention governments. Kudos for that; I was just thinking much shorter timeframe. :)

Actually, I like quiet but don't drift towards those professions. I consider quiet the natural state of the world: machinery, dozens of voices, loud music, etc. are all antithetical to peacefulness. (I don't consider the sounds of nature to be intrusive noise; that is "necessary" noise.) Sure, you can learn to ignore the din, but that doesn't mean it doesn't affect you subconciously. And much of it isn't "din" around here, it's abject intrusion onto my auditory calm, unbidden, carelessly, and thoughtlessly.

But again...your vision isn't half bad. I just don't give humanity enough credit to achieve it until it becomes necessary because of some cataclysm. Profit motive will forever get in the way (which is why they don't even bother to put good sound insulation into affordable apartments). 8-P

You were thinking of a future much farther away than our lifetimes and definitely some sort of epiphany from a large chunk of the population, not to mention governments. Kudos for that; I was just thinking much shorter timeframe. :)

Actually, I like quiet but don't drift towards those professions. I consider quiet the natural state of the world: machinery, dozens of voices, loud music, etc. are all antithetical to peacefulness. (I don't consider the sounds of nature to be intrusive noise; that is "necessary" noise.) Sure, you can learn to ignore the din, but that doesn't mean it doesn't affect you subconciously. And much of it isn't "din" around here, it's abject intrusion onto my auditory calm, unbidden, carelessly, and thoughtlessly.

But again...your vision isn't half bad. I just don't give humanity enough credit to achieve it until it becomes necessary because of some cataclysm. Profit motive will forever get in the way (which is why they don't even bother to put good sound insulation into affordable apartments). 8-P
Yes, that epiphany will be required to push governments to enact such a plan via planning legislation and collaboration, and importantly a whole host of issues around the sanctity of natural capital, and fully recycled and accounted for life cycles of products and services. I don't think it will take beyond our lifetimes - a start now could see a large chunk of it in place by their ends .... wouldn't that be something to see ! :t:

The engineering technology is there for mile high buildings - the 828m Burj Khalifa was built for only 1.5 Billion $. We seem to be flat out constructing a couple of kms of motorway for that spend! Much the same as Elon Musk has demonstrated the viability of electric cars, it would only take one mile high building for people to sit up and take notice. I was super disappointed when after 9-eleven that America didn't rebuild the World Trade Centre towers as a single building 1000m high .... too much sentiment and not enough goddammit we'll bl**dywell show you !!

I envisage these super towers such that most apartments are home sized each with multiple courtyards for sunlight access, water ponds, greenwalls, veggie gardens, terraces for outdoor living etc. Sunlight could be piped throughout the building with optical fibre cables and diffusers. Large communal sky gardens, parks, waterfalls, atriums, and outdoor decks could be scattered throughout, along with commercial, education, health, and entertainment facilities, etc. Construction could be to such a high standard (which will aid energy efficiency and reduce running costs - actually I envisage the buildings being net producers of energy) so as to offer residents the necessary silence - nothing but the whisper of the clouds floating by, and the odd whoosh of the resident peregrine falcons :) Electric and Hydrogen FCV'S will go a long way to removing a large chunk of the noise of the cities - as long as we can keep taxi drivers off their horns - actually by that time taxi drivers will largely be a footnote in history ....

It was interesting in the last Peter Andrews video that I posted (post#16) that he said that a couple of little rain and flooding events down a creek deposited $100 Million dollars worth of compost/soil ! Reorganizing the world largely in this 'islands of humanity' way will also knock a couple of degrees off average maximum global temperatures too :t:

Chosun :gh:

Drought has become an issue of national importance now, with it firmly on the mainstream media radar, and government announcing support packages worth Billion$, and even banks on board to tread softly softly.

Some say this drought of the last ~18 months or so is the worst in living memory. Records indicate a similar devastating drought a bit over a century ago, though the paleo record indicates droughts throughout history that lasted decades ..... so far from the worst that it could be.

Despite this, a few prudent land managers do actually have ground with moisture and sprouts of green grass - most others are just running whatever dirt the wind leaves behind. Dirt being the operative word since not much of it qualifies for healthy living building soil.

This makes the insights of guru Peter Andrews all that much more vital.

There was a fantastic episode of Australian Story aired last night called "Hope Springs" featuring Peter Andrews and his Natural Sequence Farming work, and the results achieved at Mulloon Creek.

I highly recommend it. Replays aired on Australian ABC TV at 1:30pm AEDT tomorrow, Wednesday 31st October, and again on ABC24 at 7:30pm on Saturday 3rd November.

https://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2018...natural-sequence-farming/10312844?pfmredir=sm
https://www.abc.net.au/austory/
https://themullooninstitute.org/

Hi Chosun,

I don't know if you spotted this: https://news.globallandscapesforum....roposed-u-n-decade-for-ecosystem-restoration/ on the back of the latest IPCC report.

Sounds like a great idea to me!

All the best,
Joost
Hi Joost,

Yes of course a good idea especially if designed along these wetland restoration, soil building, and vegetative carbon sequestering /micro-climate creating, NSF principles. I think starting in ~3 years is way too far down the track for my liking - especially if destruction continues apace as per historical practices.

The UN could do far worse than make Peter Andrews Secretary General right now ! :t:

Why a Wetland might Not be Wet

"Wetlands store 35% of carbon in only 9% of the earth’s surface"

https://theconversation.com/why-a-we...-be-wet-103687

Reminds me of one of the best bird sightings I have ever seen - a Brolga that pulled up once in 10 years in a little flooded ephemeral wetland the size of your lounge room, maybe a foot or so deep after record rains ..... hundreds of km's from recognized wetlands, though the old people tell me there were many in the area during suitable seasons /events, before draining, drying, and over grazing became common place.

Last edited:
'Whole of Landscape' approach with Peter Andrews at Tarwyn Park in Bylong Valley

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JLd1fjrMZVI

Ray Martin visits Tarwyn Park in Bylong Valley with a diverse group of farmers, engineers, scientists and academics to meet with Peter Andrews OAM. They have come together to consider how to best present Natural Sequence Farming and the Whole of Landscape approach to mainstream Australia. Find out more at The Australian Landscape Science Institute http://www.tals.org.au/

WINONA - Pasture Cropping The Way To Health - Regenerative Agriculture Case Study

Colin Seis - founder of "Pasture Cropping"

https://www.soilsforlife.org.au/cas...zIZDhOChmybxX68KNddKEOEYk3Mrt3_Pdrz3s1WZWn-VA

"By applying regenerative forms of cropping and grazing, Colin has achieved a 203% increase in soil carbon in just ten years. The vast majority of the soil carbon is highly stable (non-labile), meaning it is significantly less subject to degradation, and carbon is being built and measured to a depth of 500mm.

Extensive soil testing on*Winona*has shown that eliminating all cultivation other than the direct drilling for pasture cropping, together with rotational grazing, has enabled dramatic improvements in soil condition. Soil carbon has increased by 203% to 90 tonnes a hectare over a ten-year period. This equates to storage of around 170 tonnes of CO2*(equivalent) a hectare.

Seventy-eight per cent of newly sequestered carbon is in the humic fraction of the soil [1]. This is non-labile, therefore much more stable and significantly less subject to degradation."

Full project report link:
https://soilsforlife03.worldsecuresystems.com/assets/doc/Full_Report.pdf

Last edited:
Can Soil Microbes Slow Climate Change?

https://www.scientificamerican.com/...-cW3gsUF_9hwtzXpm-omglYqwCIqJX_Bcbm8vOC210wH4

Big results reported - but not even using best practice - no till, no kill pasture cropping, multi species managed rotational grazing, natural sequence farming principles etc.

Studies like this need to be measured not only over different environmental locations and regions, but also seasons, years, and climates too.

Increase water holding capacity of soil to have more water available during drought

Fantastic article on restoring the landscape.
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?st...6870&id=107053992731534&fs=1&focus_composer=0

"Natural Sequence Farming, put simply the model restores a landscape’s natural functioning: floodplains, waterways and wetlands are restored, which “bank” water in the landscape, helping it flourish even in drought."

"Compared to many farms that suffer severe run-off, erosion and nutrient loss, the institute has monitored rainfall infiltration on the 590ha and found an infiltration rate of up to 1 metre per hour on sections of the property.

That number is extraordinary. Given the regenerative work of Tony and Peter (Andrews), this land is like a sponge, sucking in and holding the water, which then improves the biological activity and carbon matter.

“If you can increase the water holding capacity of the soil, you are going to have more water available during drought times."

“This 100ha slice of floodplain, for example, could hold 3000 megalitres. That is banked water which will keep an agricultural enterprise alive during drought. That’s why you see grass on the floodplains here.”

The institute is also monitoring the microclimate of the valley. One hypothesis is that rehydration of the land creates a microclimate that — in this valley — increases rainfall by at least 100mm per year.

The 53-year-old then goes on to a complex explanation which, put simply, means the more water in the soil, the greener the grass, the more evaporation is created, the cooler the climate becomes, which creates dew, mist and rain."

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back