• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Jenny's paintings (2 Viewers)

Thank you Pashalis! And I will... ;)

Here the last painting from last year that I am gonna post: First sign of pring. A long-tailed tit in oil on book pages on canvas.

Attachments

• 2011firstsignofspring800.jpg
    2011firstsignofspring800.jpg
    246.8 KB · Views: 128
Thank you Nick! The colors really worked out in this one,and it was one of those paintings that felt really good doing... :)

Thank you tbbilbo!

I have to say that all you guys have really inspired me with the 'birding' part of art.... I have made sure now that I always carry my camera with me, and it has already paid of! Yesterday I saw a new bird, which I think was a Vinous-throated parrotbill, and I got some pictures and a small video of it. Unfortunately are the photos quite crappy, as my camera is small, and the birds were moving so fast... But I was able to watch them for quite some time... They were not happy that I was there though. I think they must have had their nests in that bush, because they were very loud and seemed agitated over my presence so close... A pair of light-vented bulbuls came along, and I saw one catch a dragonfly... I got a much better photo of the bulbul... he came out from the bush and sat very convenient on a straw in plain sight!

I have always been bad at keeping up my drawing. I usually go straight to the paints, and that does not give me an understanding of the character and the lines of a birds that I can see in so many of your field studies here... So now I have gotten inspired to draw more, and as I am now gathering much more information of the birds than ever before, I will hold my own 'field-sketching' in my studio from my photographs and videos. I have also found some very nice videos on you tube that are great for sketching... Just to start practicing more.

In the attachments are some examples of the usual sketches that I do in my inspirational journal, as I call it. I always play with the background and compositions, and when I have done my sketch of the bird on a separate paper (usually in watercolor) I glue it in on a background that suites it. It is more planning of paintings than a real study of the birds, and I think I need to do more studies just of the birds. The kingfisher (from my own photo) I saw in Xianmen here in China, and the beautiful red crested cardinal I saw on Maui in Hawaii. (I only got 3 dark photos from him, for this I have gotten permission from the photographer to use her photo as a reference. But I will try and do something from my own photos as well)

So, thank you so much for the inspiration you have all given me of becoming more of a craftsman, and I hope that I soon will have some new fresh studies of birds to share with you!

Attachments

• kungsfiskare.jpg
    kungsfiskare.jpg
    192.9 KB · Views: 74
  • wish600.JPG
    wish600.JPG
    91.9 KB · Views: 66
  • letter600.jpg
    letter600.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 56
  • cardinal.jpg
    cardinal.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 63
  • talgoxeflyg.JPG
    talgoxeflyg.JPG
    171.5 KB · Views: 59
What a great selection and very different too:t:

And nice to hear your thoughts on all of this as well. I had been an utter failure at field sketching until I joined the forum about three years ago. I think there's no place better for encouragement in that 'field', so to speak.;);)

These are terrific Jenny - elegantly composed and beautifully rendered. Very smart!
Also - just been on your blog - some amazing photos you have there - stunning.

Last edited:
These are so pleasing to the eye, very eastern looking, which I guess shouln't really surprise me!

Mike

Thank you Tim for your kind words!! China is an interesting place, I have to admit... If you take your time to travel some you can find the most amazing places here that just blows you away! But next I have to start blogging about my art again, the folks back home are frequently asking for news from the studio, so... ;)

Mike: Thank you! I guess not... :lol: I was influenced by the simplicity of eastern paintings long before I even came here to china, and I guess that it won't be getting less being here either...

Thank you Tony!

Well, some of my latest sketches. I bought a new sketch book, but it turned out to be the wrong paper for what I first wanted to use the book for... sketches of birds from my own photos: in pencil on paper, you know simple lines. To practice proportions and characters of the birds. But that was not to be. The paper is too rough. But it takes oil crayons beautifully, so my 'simple line' sketches all became oil crayon sketches instead. These will probably all end up in my inspirational journal with backgrounds like the ones I posted previously. Not what I intended to do from the start, but oh well. Sometimes it just ends up differently during the journey... and that is what's beautiful about art!

The Red-crested cardinal: I saw this one for the first and only time on Maui/Hawaii. My mother and I were out walking with my niece, and while she slept in the shadows at the beach this little fella came and sat beside us on the rocks.
Red-whiskered bulbul: This one I saw in the botanical garden in Xianmen/China. Also the only time I saw this bird. He was sitting still for a few minutes, so I had time to get my camera out and get these two shots of him.

Attachments

• IMG_1904.JPG
    IMG_1904.JPG
    166.3 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_1908.JPG
    IMG_1908.JPG
    119.9 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_1905.JPG
    IMG_1905.JPG
    172.2 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_1906.JPG
    IMG_1906.JPG
    130.7 KB · Views: 56
Hi Jenny,

I see very interesting kinds of work here. I also like to work with try and error.

Go on O:)

Ulrike

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back