• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

June 3, Quito, Ecuador birds, Part VI (1 Viewer)

howiewu

Hi, my quest continues ...

I took these in the cloud forest northwest of Quito, Ecuador on June 3, 2018.

My thoughts are:

1. Montane woodcreeper?
2. Scrub Blackbird?
3. a female tanager of some kind? Stumped at the moment.
4. Orange-bellied Euphonia?
5. Is this the female of 4?

What do you think?

Thanks in advance,
Howard

Attachments

• woodcreeper1.jpg
    woodcreeper1.jpg
    232.5 KB · Views: 23
  • blackbird.jpg
    blackbird.jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 21
  • tanager6.jpg
    tanager6.jpg
    169.6 KB · Views: 19
  • euphonia1.jpg
    euphonia1.jpg
    202.2 KB · Views: 21
  • euphonia2.jpg
    euphonia2.jpg
    309.7 KB · Views: 23
Strong-billed woodcreeper for one; blackbird for 2; for 5 looks to me like female euphonia (dumpy, short-tailed, bi-coloured bill cf the male you have). On plumage would suggest orange-crowned, but this is probably out of range and so perhaps an immature orange-bellied. Would expect more grey in adult female's plumage for an adult of that species.

Thanks for the input! Here's another shot of the Woodcreeper showing the whole bill; now I tend to agree that this is a Strong-billed.

Attachments

• woodcreeper1.jpg
    woodcreeper1.jpg
    169.5 KB · Views: 11
Do you guys think #4 is Orange-bellied Euphonia or Purple-throated Euphonia?

The coloration seems to fit Purple-throated better, but by range Orange-bellied is more likely.

Purple-throated is eliminated on range for where you were, so Orange-bellied unless you were below about 1000-1200m elevation and/or in drier/more open habitat where Orange-crowned comes into play.

Agree with a female/juvenile Euphonia for the last photo.

Where exactly were the Euphonias photographed? That will help with ID. There's a big difference between Bellavista, Mindo, and Rio Silanche when you're talking about species to expect!

Purple-throated is eliminated on range for where you were, so Orange-bellied unless you were below about 1000-1200m elevation and/or in drier/more open habitat where Orange-crowned comes into play.

Agree with a female/juvenile Euphonia for the last photo.

Where exactly were the Euphonias photographed? That will help with ID. There's a big difference between Bellavista, Mindo, and Rio Silanche when you're talking about species to expect!

Hi, thanks for the input.

The thing is I am not sure of the exact location. We hired a guide (who is not a specialized birding guide) for the day. He took us to hike the Pacay Waterfall (Cascada Pacay), then to Nanegalito for lunch, then to a private bird sanctuary not too far from the town.

I should have noted down the exact location and name of the place, but I did not ...

Should be Orange-bellied there. I don’t have enough familiarity anymore to try to separate without the undertail for males.

For me the male is orange-bellied because the colour of the crown is not deep enough nor is its extent great enough for orange-crowned. However, as I noted, the plumage of the female is better for the latter species if it's an adult.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back